PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa Set To Bid For An MLS Expansion Team

CelticKing
09-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Ottawa Set To Bid For An MLS Expansion Team (http://www.goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=861691)

http://i.media.goal.com/g/16476_news.jpg

The success of Toronto FC has inspired several other Canadian cities to express serious interest in Major League Soccer, and the Canadian capital is the next suitor, joining Vancouver and Montreal.

Remember seven years ago when Major League Soccer's two Florida teams, the Tampa Bay Mutiny and the Miami Fusion, folded? A lot has changed since those days when contraction was not only a dirty word, but also a reality.

On Friday, MLS announced that Ottawa, the Canadian capital, is set to put in a bid for an expansion team, possibly to start play in 2011, becoming the league's 17th team. Eugene Melnyk, who owns the Ottawa Senators hockey team, is leading the bid, apparently impressed by the popular success of Toronto FC, which is owned by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, owners of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs.

Melnyk's Senators Sports & Entertainment company has called a press conference scheduled for Tuesday morning to announce its bid and plans to build a soccer-specific stadium, a prerequisite for teams joining the league these days.

Since 2005, when Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake joined MLS, the league has aggresively expanded. In 2007, Toronto FC became the first team in Canada. Next season, Seattle Sounders FC will join the Western Conference and an as-yet-unnamed Philadelphia team joins in 2009.

Ottawa is one of sevearl Canadian cities interested in MLS. Montreal, which already has Stade Saputo, home of the successful Montreal Impact, would like to join the league. And Vancouver, which includes NBA all-star Steve Nash as part of its ownership group, has reportedly submitted a serious bid.

Toronto FC's success has made Canada a more attractive marketplace than previously thought for MLS. In July, at the MLS All-star game in Toronto, commissioner Don Garber announced that he would like to add two teams in 2011, and taht Canada is almost certainly to be one of those teams. Canadian sponsors and potential sponsors would surely love to have more home-based teams to invest in. In other words, Ottawa -- or any other Canadian expansion team -- would be a win-win for everyone.

Celtic Fan
09-13-2008, 08:06 AM
my thoughts.. don't bother coming to ottawa MLS, we couldn't support a CFL football team, we couldn't support a AAA baseball team all that well. The Sens and the Ottawa 67's hockey teams are supported because it's Hockey. THis place is too full of senior citizens, politicians and apathetic ppl.

CelticKing
09-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Well you would go to some games right CF?

It would bring something exciting to Ottawa no doubt. :)

Celtic Fan
09-13-2008, 08:37 AM
not for a few years, when my son is older.

My friend is a HUGE soccer fan, his family is from France so it was Cantona (spelling?) this, Cantona that during the 90's.... THEN they won the World Cup.. ugh he was impossible to listen to :D

I did go with him to the Jeu Francophonie (French games) to see 3 Soccer games countries like Camaroon, France and well I forget, sending their junior teams to compete. Was some nice games to watch live.

CelticKing
09-13-2008, 09:32 AM
not for a few years, when my son is older.

My friend is a HUGE soccer fan, his family is from France so it was Cantona (spelling?) this, Cantona that during the 90's.... THEN they won the World Cup.. ugh he was impossible to listen to :D

I did go with him to the Jeu Francophonie (French games) to see 3 Soccer games countries like Camaroon, France and well I forget, sending their junior teams to compete. Was some nice games to watch live.

Yep, Eric Cantona. He's a Manchester United legend. ;)

I've always liked France though, as a team for the world cup.

cpawfan
09-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Portland needs a second "major" sports. I'd put a team there before I'd put a team in Seattle

CelticKing
09-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Portland needs a second "major" sports. I'd put a team there before I'd put a team in Seattle

Portland would be a good choice for soccer.

Celtic Fan
09-13-2008, 10:18 AM
it MAY work in Ottawa because we have quite an ethnic mix here so some of the newer ppl to the country may take to soccer more than Hockey.

still I'm doubtful it would be a long term success.

man_u_barmy_army
09-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Wouldn't the North Canadians find it hard to go down to the South of the Us to see a game, we might see a final 0 on away fans.

shookem
09-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Well if they got the money and the SSS, MLS will listen. I'm sure Gerber likes that the Ottawa bid has a hockey team management connection like MLSE in Toronto.

I'd rather see MLS go to Vancouver or Montreal first, personally but it puts a lot of pressure on those expansion bids to make sure their house is in order.

agoo101284
09-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm opposed to MLS in Canada as a whole. If the Canadians want a better standard of play, let them invest in their own league. MLS is for the development of American soccer, not Canadian soccer.

man_u_barmy_army
09-28-2008, 04:48 AM
Well after the team's in the league peaks then it will be split again hopefully.

shookem
09-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm opposed to MLS in Canada as a whole. If the Canadians want a better standard of play, let them invest in their own league. MLS is for the development of American soccer, not Canadian soccer.

You're going to love Los Vegas, Atlanta and Miami all losing out to Montreal, Vancouver or Ottawa then.

I mean, lord knows that Edu didn't develope in Canada. That because he played for a Canadian team, he will never be welcomed on the US NT ever again. It's really too bad that he wasn't picked by an American team because maybe then he'd be playing in Europe with a real shot at developing ... oh wait - He is!

Well then let's look at a good American team then, let's take the Champions. Surely with b2b championships they must know something about developing good American soccer players.

Let's see who's their best player ... *( ignore Ching for a moment) ... who is it? Oh wait, It's Scarborough's own, Dwayne De Rosairo!

So we have a Canadian team developing young American talent and an American team developing young Canadian talent. Surely this system will never work.

duh.

man_u_barmy_army
09-30-2008, 03:25 PM
There is always a one in a million chance of that system working in football. They need a drastic chance and to sort their priorities.

shookem
09-30-2008, 04:57 PM
There is always a one in a million chance of that system working in football. They need a drastic chance and to sort their priorities.

Well, considering all the foreign players in the EPL and how well England has been on the international scale kinda recently, I guess you're right.

All the same, I like having a MLS team and look forward to seeing a couple more pop up. :evilwait:

man_u_barmy_army
10-01-2008, 09:38 AM
For the EPL they are getting worried with it, and they should be. I mean we are one of the best leagues in the world, however we are not producing nearly as much talent as France per say.