PDA

View Full Version : CSL news - Portugal FC clinch playoff spot

shookem
09-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Toronto Croatia secured a playoff spot last night after a 3-2 victory over Portugal FC in Canadian Soccer League action.

"It was a great victory for us," said Croatia spokesperson Pino Jazbec. "We really dominated the game."

The Mississauga-based club found themselves trailing early at Lamport Stadium in Toronto, after Portugal's Wigor Gomes scored at two minutes.

However, Croatia's Tihomir Maletic came back with two quick goals at 30 and 33 minutes, for his 8th and 9th of the season.

Hayden Fitzwilliams netted his 7th of the year at the 88th minute mark for Croatia, which proved to be the winner after Portugal's Danny Amaral scored in injury time.

Croatia, which are the defending CSL champions, improved its record to 9-5-5 for 32 points.

"We're getting in top form for the playoffs," said Jazbec. "In about three weeks, we're going to be defending our title."

The squad, which currently sits in third place of the CSL's International Division with three games remaining, hosts St. Catharines Wolves (6-9-2) on Friday at the Hershey Centre.

The Wolves, who are one point behind the final playoff spot, are in fifth place in the CSL's National Division.

Game time is 8 p.m.

Croatia gets in (http://www.mississauganews.com/article/19066)

Colonel Ronan
09-23-2008, 12:53 PM
What is this league?

shookem
09-23-2008, 01:10 PM
What is this league?

Why it is the good ol' CSL, the Canadian Soccer League.

http://www.canadiansoccerleague.ca/.

There is a national division with team like the TFC Academy, Brampton Lions, Trois-Rivieres Attak etc. and there is the international division with teams like Serbian Eagles, Italia Shooters, Portugal FC etc

It's probably somewhere around USLD2

Master Shake
09-23-2008, 01:11 PM
T.Dot!

shookem
09-23-2008, 01:15 PM
When Croatia plays Serbia it's always a good time.

Claud
09-23-2008, 04:35 PM
They have country names for their clubs in Canada? Weird.

Colonel Ronan
09-23-2008, 05:25 PM
What is "USLD2"?

Colonel Ronan
09-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Nevermind, I worked it out.

shookem
09-24-2008, 08:00 AM
It's basically the guys you saw playing soccer in HS.

Actually, ME, probably saw guys a lot better in HS but I digress.

Claud - There's two divisions, one for "international clubs" and the other for "national clubs".

The international side is filled with Euro-inspired clubs. The thing with Canada is we don't ask you to forget about your home country and as such, people are filled with pride for more than one nation.

There is a HUGE Cro/Serb, Italia and Port population in the city. It's not surprising to see competitive basketball team built around players with "vic" or "ova" ending their last names.

It is a little weird I guess but the people playing on those teams are all from or their families are from those places in the world.

I'll see if I can find out how it all started.

shookem
09-24-2008, 08:02 AM
What is "USLD2"?

Me, you and nine other guys ... I kid, I kid. Hard working guys no doubt.

CelticKing
09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
It's basically the guys you saw playing soccer in HS.

Actually, ME, probably saw guys a lot better in HS but I digress.

Claud - There's two divisions, one for "international clubs" and the other for "national clubs".

The international side is filled with Euro-inspired clubs. The thing with Canada is we don't ask you to forget about your home country and as such, people are filled with pride for more than one nation.

There is a HUGE Cro/Serb, Italia and Port population in the city. It's not surprising to see competitive basketball team built around players with "vic" or "ova" ending their last names.

It is a little weird I guess but the people playing on those teams are all from or their families are from those places in the world.

I'll see if I can find out how it all started.

Big Albanian population in Toronto as well.

That's cool though that they have soccer teams. Never knew that before seeing this thread. :)

shookem
09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Big Albanian population in Toronto as well.

That's cool though that they have soccer teams. Never knew that before seeing this thread. :)

Well, we'll try to drop a little knowledge on ya'll from time to time.

There's a big population of everyone expect Canadians in Toronto, jk.

Depending on what part your in, you need to changed your flags accordinaly.

Landsdowne - that's Portville

Collge is mostly Italia

Cro's and Serb's south of Bloor on the west end or north of Eglinton.

Danforth is for the Greeks but if you too far you get into Tamil territory.

Eg and Oakwood, little Jamica man!

Brampton is a city built for people of Paki and Indian descent.

Is further east, well then your in Scarborough and have gone too far.

I know it gets said a lot but it really is a very multicultural city. I was shocked when I visted other cities and didn't notice any Island people or Asians.

I was like you, Ottawa, where's all the brother at. They were like, Toronto and go back now please.

The CSL has very neighbourhoodie clubs and it's that kind of league.

I have a friend who came to Canada to go to school - he walked on to a team right away. He played fairly high level soccer in France and says it's fun.

Colonel Ronan
09-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Dude, I'm good at footy.

CelticKing
09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Well, we'll try to drop a little knowledge on ya'll from time to time.

There's a big population of everyone expect Canadians in Toronto, jk.

Depending on what part your in, you need to changed your flags accordinaly.

Landsdowne - that's Portville

Collge is mostly Italia

Cro's and Serb's south of Bloor on the west end or north of Eglinton.

Danforth is for the Greeks but if you too far you get into Tamil territory.

Eg and Oakwood, little Jamica man!

Brampton is a city built for people of Paki and Indian descent.

Is further east, well then your in Scarborough and have gone too far.

I know it gets said a lot but it really is a very multicultural city. I was shocked when I visted other cities and didn't notice any Island people or Asians.

I was like you, Ottawa, where's all the brother at. They were like, Toronto and go back now please.

The CSL has very neighbourhoodie clubs and it's that kind of league.

I have a friend who came to Canada to go to school - he walked on to a team right away. He played fairly high level soccer in France and says it's fun.

We were there (in Toronto) couple of months ago for 3 nights, I loved the city. We stayed about 10 minutes outside downtown, my father has a cousin there, we felt like being back in Europe, it was that nice.

I truly think Toronto is the best city in North America. :clap:

shookem
09-24-2008, 02:47 PM
We were there (in Toronto) couple of months ago for 3 nights, I loved the city. We stayed about 10 minutes outside downtown, my father has a cousin there, we felt like being back in Europe, it was that nice.

I truly think Toronto is the best city in North America. :clap:

Wow, that's a wicked thing to say dude. I'm a fan of the city but have always wanted to make it to your neck of the woods. It seems like sports mean so much more to a town like Boston.

Where abouts did you stay?

CelticKing
09-24-2008, 02:53 PM
In North York, street was called York Mills Road I believe. :)

shookem
09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
In North York, street was called York Mills Road I believe. :)

Very nice. I work about five minutes from there and live downtown on Bloor.

CelticKing
09-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Very nice. I work about five minutes from there and live downtown on Bloor.

That's cool man, you live in a great city. :cheers:

shookem
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Sports Briefs: Shooters split weekend CSL games
By Carmine Bonanno
It was another roller-coaster of Canadian Soccer League action for Vaughan Italia Shooters this past weekend.

The Shooters started on a low with a 3-0 loss to Serbian White Eagles on Friday at Etobicoke’s Centennial Stadium. Sasa Viciknez, Milos Scepanovic and Alex Braletic scored the White Eagles’ goals.

Vaughan rebounded with a solid 4-1 victory over TFC Academy two days later at St. Joan of Arc CHS. Striker Murphy Wiredu paced the Shooters offence with two goals, with Tristan Murray and Kadian Leckie adding singles.

With the weekend split, Vaughan still sits in second in the CSL International division with a 12-6-2 record and 38 points. Serbia tops the division with a 12-4-5 mark and 41 points.

The Shooters, who have already qualified for the playoffs, can still earn first-place honours in their division. Vaughan has two games left, while the White Eagles have one game remaining against CSL-best Trois-Rivieres Attak.
vaughantoday (http://www.vaughantoday.ca/story.php?id=1090)

shookem
09-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Portugal FC is the sixth team to secure a playoff spot following a 5-3 defeat of Brampton Lions at Victoria Park in Brampton, a rescheduled game from the postponement of September 7 and the only game played in the CSL Wednesday night. It was an end-to-end goal-fest with lots of exciting action for the midweek fans, a game that saw Portugal jump to a 4-0 lead after just 25 minutes and a game in which no less than three players including the CSL’s leading scorer, Daniel Nascimento, struck two goals apiece.

Portugal’s Emerson Fiti opened the scoring after six minutes, Wigor Gomes made it 2-0 for the visitors after 19 minutes, Mike DiLuca scored Portugal’s third four minutes later and two minutes later at the 25th minute mark, Gomes scored his second and his team’s fourth for a 4-0 halftime score.

While the team from the northwest of Toronto looked more like getting into the game in the second half, especially when Adolfo Mella made it 4-1 at 51 minutes, Portugal FC were determined to stay on top and succeeded when Emerson Fiti scored his second and Portugal’s fifth at 55 minutes.
CSL (http://www.canadiansoccerleague.ca/news_archive.php)

shookem
09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Dude, I'm good at footy.

well you may have a career in the csl my friend.

In North York, street was called York Mills Road I believe.

Darn, you could have seen the North York Astros. (http://www.northyorkastros.ca/)

CelticKing
09-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Darn, you could have seen the North York Astros. (http://www.northyorkastros.ca/)

Next time I'm in I'll plan for it. :ghoti:

Colonel Ronan
09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
well you may have a career in the csl my friend.

Woot.

shookem
09-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Woot.

maybe you can be a youth soccer coach or something.

i know rugby if filled with British guys around here ...