Looking for some feedback...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Denny Crane, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    As some of you know, the Two in SportsTwo is intended to (partially) mean 2.0 as in Web 2.0. The SportsTwo site as we've all been seeing and using it is really a Web 1.0 style site, required so the search engine robots are able to find all our content.</p>

For the past few days, I've worked on a prototype for one kind of Web 2.0 presentation. It's nowhere near a complete site, but it'll give you all the idea of what it would be like to use S2 as a pure 2.0 experience. Something like this 2.0 presentation is what I have envisioned for S2 all along.</p>

Before I go all out on the 2.0 version, I'd like to get a bunch of feedback on the prototype. If you all hate it, then I'll go back to the drawing board and come up with something else. What you're going to see on the 2.0 prototype is just enough to give you the idea of what a (more) finished version woud be like, so don't expect it to be a fully functioning site as-is. I have a lot of ideas for ways to really expand it out with more and more features.</p>

Some notes:</p>

1) It probably does not work in IE6, I didn't test it in IE7, and it certainly doesn't work in Opera or other "oddball" browsers (e.g. macintosh, et al).
    2) It's not going to be particularly fast - remember, it's a prototype. I would totally rewrite the window system for speed rather than using an off-the-shelf package.
    3) Loading the page is slow - it's loading a LOT of javascript. Once the javascript/first page is loaded, the rest of the presentation should be quite fast.
    4) There are buttons not implemented (click and they do nothing). They're there to give us all the idea of how it would look.
    5) What's shown on the various "pages" is concept as well, we can tweak it to make the info more complete, or even provide means to show several views of the same info.
    6) Only the baseball logo in the fisheye works. The NFL one shows what composing a PM might be like.</p>

http://sportstwo.com/v2</p>

</p>

2. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

It knows my name [​IMG]</p>

</p>

Very nice. Just wish it wouldn't open a new window each time you clicked on something.</p>

</p>

I vote Yis.</p>

3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    It does load</p>

I just tested it to be sure.</p>

It takes 6-10 seconds to load for me, and that's over a FAST connection.</p>

In a finished version, the load time would be way faster.</p>

</p>

4. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

/me hates my crappy desktop.</p>

/me misses laptop.</p>

</p>

Make the /me command work for it [​IMG] Then everyone would love it [​IMG]</p>

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    No comments?</p>

Like it? Hate it?</p>

6. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

The baseball window opens in a free-floating window, I'd prefer if it took up the whole screen. I love the icons at the bottom of the page; it would look great if they changed to the team logos once you clicked on them (and there was an additional button to 'go back').</p>

Overall it looks really good!</p>

7. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    IF I were to do this full-blown, it'd remember your window positions and sizes (it already knows who you are and welcomes you [​IMG]. So if you want full screen windows, you can have them.</p>

</p>

8. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

I like it, a lot. The only problem I could think of would be speed (yes, I know it'll be faster). I''m guessing it'll be hell for dial up.</p>

</p>

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    It shouldn't be hell on dial up. The beauty of this design is that it cleverly uses the browser cache to keep the images and javascript locally, the connections to the server are for little snippets of content as you open windows.</p>

</p>

10. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

Here is how I'd go about that design. I'd make it so you have the "toolbar" at the bottom. What'd I do is have that "toolbar" be tabbed. Tab it into three different things: 1.) SportsTwo 2.) Personal 3.) Active</p>

SportsTwo- That'd be what that toolbar is like now. It shows the NBA Forum, MLB Forum, NFL Forum logos etc, to navigate around the site.</p>

Personal- This is would show your avatar/username on it. This is where you'd start the PM process, editing options/avatars/sig, etc. Access your favorites.</p>

Active- This is where your open pages are showed. Like it'd display the Bulls forum, Cubs forum, a PM window, and a thread from the Bulls forum, because thats what I would have open.</p>

Then above that toolbar, you could feasibly put a realtime sportsticker since that part of the page would only load once. The new windows would open to fill the entire screen thats not occupied by the toolbar/sportsticker.</p>

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    My thinking is that the bottom toolbar would have additional icons on it for other features (more sports, user settings, etc.).</p>

You'd have multiple "desktops." When you click on baseball, you get your baseball windows open on the desktop. If you click on basketball, the baseball ones would be hidden and the basketball windows would open where you left em.</p>

Tho I think your user settings and PM windows would show up on all the desktops, as would chat windows and the like.</p>

There'd be a fixed "window" like thing on the left with context sensitive things. Like "latest news" and "recent activity" and scoreboard. For NFL, they'd open windows with the NFL info in them.</p>

There'd also be a S2 desktop as well, which would have the OT stuff as well as games/contests. There'd be an "announcement" window and "top stories" window that would automatically open on that desktop when you switch to it.</p>

</p>

12. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

Crazy stupid idea:</p>

Make a windows esque theme, like a desktop, and double click on the icon you want (Default being sportstwo, baseball, basketball, football, football, hockey, racing, golf, pm, favorites, user settings. You can add to your personal one, like I would add the Yankee page, and the Nets page.). It opens up just like a browser would in windows. There's also a bar on the bottom to choose between. Mind you, it could also be put on top as tabs (as in FireFox).</p>

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Boy, I have a LOT of ideas to improve this concept.</p>

The background colors and window decorations would certainlybe themable. In fact, we have a GFX team that could do dozens of themse (logos, wallpapers, backgrounds, buttons). and we could all chose the one we like.</p>

Thereare some really nifty eye-candy like things to be done for choosing avatars and otherwise viewing images and photos.</p>

Just scratching the surface here.</p>

</p>

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Hint:</p>

If all you think it is is a blank screen, CLICK ON THE MLB logo.</p>

</p>

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Is there a site(s) out there we could check out that has a full blown Web 2.0 version so we can get a sense of how kickass you can make this?</p>

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Not one that's sports, but there's a similar one here:</p>

http://www.goowy.com/index.aspx</p>

Click on the "Give Demo a Try..." and you don't need to register or anything.</p>

</p>

17. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Thanks Denny. Now I won't be able to sleep with all the ideas running in my brain. That is awesome!</p>

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The windows are mini-applications. They can be anything we dream up - from browsing forums to managing RSS feeds to playing games like Minesweeper.</p>

Sky's the limit.</p>

</p>

19. fruitcake

fruitcake Member

holy shit that is cool</p>

20. pegs

pegs My future wife.

this shit is crazy. if we got pong on S2, that'd be awesome, haha.</p>

but i like this idea. i also like the idea of "tabs", as in firefox. i love using tabs, and it'd be nice to have them using Web 2.0. It'd make it easier to keep track of stuff.</p>