Contract Extension Deadline Nears

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by Hunter, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>
    <div class="bi">Deadline Nears</div>
    <div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Oct 16</span> - If an extension isn't reached by the NBA's Oct. 31 deadline, the Wolves must wait to pursue a deal until after the season, when Al Jefferson will become a restricted free agent.</p>

</p>

"I'm not really concerned about that, you know," Jefferson said Monday before the Wolves played an exhibition game against the Memphis Grizzlies. "I let my agent handle that. I'm looking forward to it happening, but if it doesn't, there's always next year. So I really don't even think about it."</p>

</p>

Wolves coach Randy Wittman said he doesn't know what's happening with the negotiations, but he's convinced Jefferson will be with the Wolves long term. -- <font color="#000000">St. Paul Pioneer Press</font></p>

</div></p>
    </div>

2. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

A good offer is coming.</p>

</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>
    <div class="bi">Good Offer Coming</div>
    <div><span style="font-style: italic">Oct 17</span> - Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor said Tuesday he expects to examine soon the terms of the contract that will be offered to fourth-year forward Al Jefferson, the centerpiece in July's five-player, two-draft pick trade for Kevin Garnett.

"We will try," Taylor said. "It will be a good offer, a real offer, not a low-ball offer. But I don't know what his agent's expectations are."</p>

</p>

Orlando signed Dwight Howard, the 2004 draft's No. 1 pick, to a five-year, $80 million extension that will pay him $13 million next season, the maximum allowed under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement. Taylor said if Jefferson's agent, Jeff Schwartz, is seeking a contract approaching the maximum, the team will wait until next summer. -- <font color="#000000">Minneapolis Star Tribune</font></p></div></div>