Abdul-Jabbar To Be Inducted Into National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by Shapecity, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>UCLA basketball legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar will be honored and inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame today. The ceremony will be held at the new College Basketball Experience (CBE) in Kansas City, Mo.</p>

Abdul-Jabbar will be recognized as a member of the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame's founding class. The former UCLA star and two-time national player of the year helped the Bruins to a record of 88-2 and three straight NCAA championships.</p>

He finished his illustrious Bruin career with 2,325 points (26.4 ppg) and 1,367 rebounds (15.5 rpg).</p>

Formerly known as Lew Alcindor, Abdul-Jabbar was inducted into the UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame in 1984 and had his jersey #33 retired in 1990.</p>

After winning NBA championships with the Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers, he retired from the NBA as the league's all-time leader in nine statistical categories, including points scored. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1995.</p>

Another UCLA great Bill Walton will introduce Abdul-Jabbar during the enshrinement ceremonies. Ben Howland and the UCLA basketball team are in Kansas City for the CBE Classic basketball tournament and will attend the pre-ceremony reception.</p>

UCLA Coach John Wooden was inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame last year as part of a charter class.</div></p>

Source: Bruin Basketball Report</p>

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I would love to see Kareem get a chance to coach a team. I know it's been something he's wanted to do all along; I don't know of anyone who's more deserving of a chance. Fire Skiles, hire Kareem!</p>

;-)</p>

</p>

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

He's a great historian and teacher for the game. I'm not sure how he would handle the politics of coaching in the NBA and dealing with player egos. I would love to see him coach at the collegiate level though. I think he could benefit the NCAA and has shown he can develop players who are receptive to learning.</p>

His first project was Michael Olowokandi, but he never had the desire to learn and improve. Bynum has been a success because he's absorbed everything Kareem is teaching him.</p>

4. bacon smeller

bacon smeller The Baconater

Yes Bynum is improving and Im really surprised too but the Lakers are doing good. Congrats to Kareem!</p>