Liverpool target permanent Mascherano switch

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC' started by CelticKing, Dec 7, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Liverpool target permanent Mascherano switch</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

LIVERPOOL, England (AFP) - Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez believes he can fight off overtures from Barcelona and Juventus and sign Argentinian midfielder Javier Mascherano on a permanent deal.

Benitez is confident about the prospects of completing a 17-million-pound deal for the player but is fully aware he has no control over a third-party's ownership of the Argentinian.

Mascherano, who caused West Ham so much trouble with his contract there, has a similar loan deal at Liverpool, the key difference being that the Anfield club's agreement is within the regulations.

Barcelona and Juventus, as well as Manchester City, have been linked with a move for the 23-year-old in the January transfer window.

"Clearly, I hope Mascherano stays here. We are talking now about this but I have confidence because he tells me he wants to stay," said Benitez.

"I am confident he can be persuaded to stay here. When I spoke to Javier, he told me he wants that, so I have confidence that we will sign him.

"He is playing well and everyone knows he is a good player and there are not too many world-class holding midfielders around.

"He wants to stay, our supporters like him and we will try to keep him."</div></p>

2. Art_gunner4life

Art_gunner4life DYC Arsenal Fan

I would love if wenger can buy him instead, he's proven quality def/mid in the EPL, since we havent had a solid player like that since Patrick Viera. Wenger please SPEND! this is a buy I would not mind breaking the bank at all....that would also piss benitez off and cry like a little girl for taking away his desired signing.</p>

3. DDRickyDD

DDRickyDD SportsTwo Member.

Student
    Mascherano will not sign for Arsenal.</p>

4. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Depends on who pays more.</p>

Liverpool better open their wallet if they want to keep him.</p>

5. Art_gunner4life

Art_gunner4life DYC Arsenal Fan

yeah, west ham owns him, so biggest bidder wins</p>