Tell me about Marvin

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by CelticBalla32, Dec 28, 2007.

1. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

First off, let me start by saying that I've watched the Hawks but 3 times this year.

I've never been a fan of the Marvin Williams pick. Passing up on Chris Paul or even Deron Williams for a raw combo-forward project was the ugliest thing I've seen in the draft over the past few years. Marvin has always wowed people with his length and freak athleticism, but he has never had a game to back it up. He has never had a jumper, never had the in-between game, never could play any defense on the perimeter, not an inside player, can't do much off the dribble. He grabbed boards because of his physical gifts and threw down dunks in transition. That was pretty much the extent of his game.

With that said, the numbers look outstanding this year. He improved his FG% from 43 to 50... that is huge. His scoring is up around 17 a game, he's grabbing 5-6 boards. The numbers look great, but I'm certainly not somebody that judges a player on stats. In fact, I can't stand it.

With that said, I know we have a couple Hawks fans here. If you guys would be so kind to tell me what Marvin has improved on, that'd be great. How's the jumper coming along? Is he extending his range? How's the defense? Has his ball handling improved? Tell me all that good stuff. [​IMG]

2. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>He has never had a jumper</div>
    Marvin doesn't have a jumper? WTF? He has the best mid range game on the team, maybe top 5 in the whole NBA, thats where he mostly score. He has one of the prettiest jumpers I have ever seen, and he rarely ever misses.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>never could play any defense on the perimeter</div>
    He's also one of, if not the best perimeter defender in the team. He has great length and quickness, he's also has a very high B Ball IQ, so he knows what he's doing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>can't do much off the dribble</div>
    The offense Woodson runs, isn't meant for Marvin to show is off the dribble game, but he has shown some flashes where he's blown by player, and he's also very capable of running a fast break.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>With that said, I know we have a couple Hawks fans here. If you guys would be so kind to tell me what Marvin has improved on, that'd be great. How's the jumper coming along? Is he extending his range? How's the defense? Has his ball handling improved? Tell me all that good stuff</div>

Marvin is starting to become the player, he was chosen to be. He was injured last year, not many people knew that, and called him a bust prematurely. Now he's healthy, and very much improved, he is the most consistent player on the Hawks team, there has been only one game where he didn't score in double figures, it started out the season as the third option, and now has thaken the second option spot. He's very good at drawing contact, and getting to the free throw line, and he's a great free throw shooter. He's also able to finish in transition, he's had more transition points, that Smoove has had this year. I would like to see him grab more rebounds, but remember he plays with Horford and Smoove who grab most of the rebound. Also I would love for him to develop a mean streak, he needs to demand for the ball, in times needed. With added confident I can see that happening, he has taken over some games, so he has shown flashes.

3 years from now, i can definitely see this being Marvin's team, he has the ability to be a superstar a top 5 SF in this league. For him to do that though, he needs to have a mean streak and he needs to add some range to his jumpshot, he's money from 19 feet, so I don't think it would be that hard for him to develop into a good 3 pt shooter. By the end of this year or next year, I could definitely see hm averaging 20+ points this year as well, and in his prime he will be a top 10 scorer. The sk the limit for him, but it'll take hard work, and focus for him to reach his full potiental.

3. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (o.iatlhawksfan @ Dec 28 2007, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>He has never had a jumper</div>
    Marvin doesn't have a jumper? WTF? He has the best mid range game on the team, maybe top 5 in the whole NBA, thats where he mostly score. He has one of the prettiest jumpers I have ever seen, and he rarely ever misses.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>never could play any defense on the perimeter</div>
    He's also one of, if not the best perimeter defender in the team. He has great length and quickness, he's also has a very high B Ball IQ, so he knows what he's doing.
    </div>

Yeah, I've always remembered Marvin to have a good jumper and good defense. He wasn't picked #2 for nothin.

4. o.iatlhawksfan

Well he wasn't always the best defender, but he's improved alot this year.

5. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

He saw Tim Thomas (the ghost of Marvin Williams future) and decided to actually put some hard work into his game. [​IMG]

6. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

o.atlhawksfan, everything you quoted was responded with things he is doing now. That answers my questions, in some respects, but that was also referring to him leading up to this season. He may have a respectable mid-range jumper now, I'm not denying that... but before this summer? No.

Thanks for answering it all, though.

7. zєяσ

zєяσ Truth is beautiful

To the Hawks fans-in retrospect, would you still have chosen Marvin over Deron and Paul?

8. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

I doubt it. If they had Paul, damn! Smith wou have an even bigger role!

9. o.iatlhawksfan

hmmmm IDK, I've watched all of Paul's game, and would have been happy to have him. I look at it this way tho, if we pick Paul and not Marvin we have no Horford, Acie Law, Shelden Williams and Marvin Williams.

10. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I rather have had Paul over Marvin. So no Shelden or Acie, that's alright. With Horford, who knows. Paul isn't leading his team to this amazing record, we still could of had a chance at Horford. Chris Paul is a top 5 point guard, and he is so young. I know Marvin is young too, but Paul with Smith would be something to watch.

In respect to Marvin, he brings a lot to this team. Rebounding, good jump shooting and defense. He also uses size to his advantage. He has, in every game, played a role in winning and losing, so he is a team guy.

He has improved so much since last season, it's incredible. After he broke his hand last year, he just went down hill and fell off. But htis year he has come back strong to show he is part of the future of the Hawks.