Should the Giants Trade Shockey?

Discussion in 'NFC East' started by ZAE, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ZAE

ZAE Active Member

Student
    I love the way he plays but the Giants just won a championship without him and I find it funny that the team started playing better when he wasn't in the locker room. Kevin Boss played pretty well and Shockey could get us a pretty good pick. What do you guys think?

2. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

The issue with trading Shockey is you don't have a very big sample of what Boss is capable of. You'd hate to trade Shockey and find that Boss isn't as good as you thought. Also, if he's healthy, Shockey can give Eli a nice security blanket across the middle for him to check down to if no one is open. Beyond that, he demands a lot of attention from the defense because of his big play capability, drawing some attention away from the WRs. I'd say you almost have to wait for the season before doing so and see more of what Boss is capable of before you trade a top 5 TE.

3. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

I'd retain him and see what happens between Boss and Shockey in training camp and preseason.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I don't think you trade Shockey because you probably aren't going to get equal value for him. Strahan said all the coaches and teammates love Shockey and he's one of the hardest workers on the team.

Having two capable TE's is an advantage for the GMEN and with injuries being frequent and unpredictable they're better off holding on to him and Boss.

5. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Moo is right. And even in a best case scenario, I don't see Boss ever becoming as good as Shockey. Shockey's an elite TE in the league and when he's at his best, him and Plaxico are option 1 and 1A for Eli. And that's not even mentioning his blocking. I'm guessing the Giants will be using a lot more two tight end sets next season.

6. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    What are they going to trade him for? Finding great TEs in this league is difficult, and we don't know what to expect from Boss next season. Eli can handle Shockey, that turmoil has always been overblown.