Stephan Bonnar Injured, off UFC Fight Night 13 Card

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by Celtic Fan, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

this is all over the mma news sites
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar will be sidelined for at least six months after tearing ligaments in his left knee during training on Tuesday in Las Vegas.

Bonnar said he was working on his jiu-jitsu in preparation for his April 2 light heavyweight bout against Matt Hamill in Denver. He said he heard a pop and later learned that he had torn the lateral collateral ligament.

“I was doing nothing out of the ordinary, just working on my (jiu-jitsu) getting ready for my fight,” a downcast Bonnar said. “I heard a pop and I thought, ‘Damn, what is this?’ I walked around on it a little, but when I got home, it was really stiff and swollen.“

Although it was initially diagnosed as a partial tear, an MRI revealed a complete tear. He’ll have surgery soon in Los Angeles. A ligament from a cadaver will be placed into his knee.

Bonnar, who became one of the UFC’s most popular fighters after his rousing fight with Forrest Griffin in the finale of The Ultimate Fighter 1, hasn’t fought since submitting Eric Schafer at UFC 77 on Oct. 20 in Cincinnati.

Given the six-month recovery period, it will turn out to be close to a year between fights for Bonnar, who is 11-4.

“What really sucks is that if you break your leg, it feels really bad, but you get on crutches and you sit out six weeks and then you’re back and you’re good to go,” Bonnar said. “In this case, there isn’t the pain like a broken leg, but I’m out six months instead of six weeks.“</div>

It's still a stacked card for a free card
    Main Card Bouts:
    -Kenny Florian vs. Joe Lauzon
    -Matt Hamill vs. TBA
    -Karo Parisyan (#6 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Thiago Alves

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard
    -Clay Guida vs. Samy Schiavo
    -Marcus Aurelio vs. Spencer Fisher
    -Din Thomas vs. Josh Neer
    -Houston Alexander vs. James Irvin
    -Tommy Speer vs. Anthony Johnson

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Hopefully they put a good BJJ guy against Hamill, but odds are they'll bring a new guy in who they think he can beat.

3. Celtic Fan

meh I'm kinda on the fence about Hamill, I like that they gave someone with a significant disability a chance to comptete but he did seem to use it as an excuse on TUF and he's a bit of a immature dick at times.
    Still I hope he can compete and stay in the UFC to inspire other ppl with disabilities.

4. speeds

Hamill should be honing his game in the WEC.

Anyways, we should petition to see The Barbarian get this fight. No way Boetsch is tired after crushing Dave Heath a few weeks ago.

5. Flush

Flush Member

I was pumped about that fight. Damn. Hope they don't just give Hamill a layup

6. Celtic Fan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (speeds @ Feb 12 2008, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hamill should be honing his game in the WEC.

Anyways, we should petition to see The Barbarian get this fight. No way Boetsch is tired after crushing Dave Heath a few weeks ago.</div>
    what are you clairvoyant?!?!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Tim Boetsch will again step up for the Ultimate Fighting Championship on short notice, this time taking over for the injured Stephan Bonnar. He will take on Matt Hamill as a part of the April 2 UFC Fight Night in Broomfield, Colo. as confirmed by MMAWeekly.com with sources close to the fight.

Boetsch made a very impressive debut for the UFC just earlier this month, finishing David Heath in the first round. He took the bout on extremely short notice when Heath’s original opponent dropped out due to injury.

The Pennsylvania-based light heavyweight looked devastating in his first fight with the UFC, displaying strong stand-up and tremendous power throughout his match-up with Heath.

Hamill is fighting for the first time since his very controversial decision loss to Michael Bisping at UFC 75 in September.

No official word from the UFC if the bout will be on the main card as Bonnar vs. Hamill was originally intended to be, but an announcement about the final card is expected in the near future.</div>
    source, mmaweekly.

unfortunately, I see Tim Spending a lot of time on his back trying to avoid elbows...

7. speeds

Hamill doesn't mind exchanging so hopefully we see a brawl.

Boetsch is supposedly a great wrestler, too.

8. Celtic Fan

Yeah but Hamill is a great wrestler, even Tito said he was difficult on the ground. I don't see Tim being that good.
    I do hope Tim wins but I'm skeptical that he will be able to stay on his feet.

9. Celtic Fan

update for the Ultimate Fight Night Card.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on recently officially added three more bouts for its April 2 return to Colorado. The additions of Houston Alexander vs. James Irvin, Gray Maynard vs. Frankie Edgar, and Roman Mitichyan vs. George Sotiropoulos rounds the fight card out to 10 bouts at the Broomfield Event Center.

The main event of UFC Fight Night 13 is an all-New England lightweight contest between Kenny Florian and Joe Lauzon.

The UFC has yet to officially name a replacement for Stephan Bonnar, who has had to withdraw due to torn ligaments, but reports indicate that Tim Boetsch will step in to face Ultimate Fighter veteran Matt Hamill in Broomfield.

UFC Fight Night 13 will serve as a lead-in to the premier of the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter reality series, which features middleweight athletes.

Main Card Bouts*:
    -Kenny Florian vs. Joe Lauzon
    -Karo Parisyan vs. Thiago Alves
    -Matt Hamill vs. Tim Boetsch**
    -Houston Alexander vs. James Irvin

Preliminary Bouts*:
    -Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard
    -Marcus Aurelio vs. Spencer Fisher
    -Din Thomas vs. Josh Neer
    -Clay Guida vs. Samy Schiavo
    -Roman Mitichyan vs. George Sotiropoulos
    -Tommy Speer vs. Anthony Johnson

10. speeds

Pretty much a given that they have to let that go for three hours, now.

11. Celtic Fan

Yup <crosses fingers>

12. Deeznets

Deeznets Member

Boetsch by KO (knee)