The best hour of TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Denny Crane, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Once in a while I see some show/episode that makes me think "wow, that's one of the best hours of TV I've seen in a long long time."

I remember when STNG was a current show. They had a cliffhanger where the Borg looked invincible and had just destroyed most of the ships in starfleet on their way to Earth. The whole summer, everyone was talking about how they couldn't wait for the next season to start to see how it ended up. Both the season ending show and the first one of the next season were truly outstanding.

More recently, a couple of seasons ago on ER, Mark Green died of a brain tumor. The episode where he tried to bond with his daughter in Hawaii (and died at the end) was one of the best hours of TV I'd seen in years. I just happened to see a rerun of it yesterday, which gave me the idea for this thread.

Even more recently, the first couple of shows of the Unit this season were quite intense. It wasn't exactly one episode, more like 3 because they couldn't fit the story into an hour.

The last episode of the Sopranos was up there, too.

What shows do you think rank like this?

2. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

blowing up the hatch baby!

3. lukewarmplay

lukewarmplay Hired Goons

The fourth hour of Lost- which is the first Locke flashback ep; "don't tell me what I can't do!"

The days-of-future-past episode of Heroes- I think it was 20 or 21.

The episode of Battlestar Glactica where the Pegasus materialises inside of the atmosphere as they rescue the human colony.

I could pick a dozen West Wing episodes, so let's stick to one of the more exciting ones, where they get shot at.

A Trip to the Dentist, season 1, Veronica Mars- or possibly the Season 2 finale, which I loved but few others did.

The episode of Felicity, season 1, where Knoll (Noel?) takes the smart powder and yells at her in the library. With subtitles.

Once More With Feeling. (If again, I have to pick one.)

Smile Time.

4. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lukewarmplay @ Feb 12 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The fourth hour of Lost- which is the first Locke flashback ep; "don't tell me what I can't do!"

The episode of Battlestar Glactica where the Pegasus materialises inside of the atmosphere as they rescue the human colony.

I could pick a dozen West Wing episodes, so let's stick to one of the more exciting ones, where they get shot at.

A Trip to the Dentist, season 1, Veronica Mars- or possibly the Season 2 finale, which I loved but few others did.

The episode of Felicity, season 1, where Knoll (Noel?) takes the smart powder and yells at her in the library. With subtitles.

Smile Time.</div>

Are you really that much into Veronica Mars?

-Petey

5. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    The Colbert Report last night was a classic (With Dr. Zimbardo).

Colbert at his finest.

<div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ehLa5a_2IyQ&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ehLa5a_2IyQ&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

Watch the end of the interview. Classic.

6. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Every night at 1 am, the George Lopez Show.

7. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

hard to pick one episode, but if you're not watching The Wire you're missing out on one of the greatest most intense TV Drama's of all time.

my favorite sequence is the 'f**k' scene where McNulty and Bunk investigate an old murder scene where the only dialogue used is f**k in different tones and with different adjectives with it.
    I think there is a Youtube clip of this scene.

8. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Celtic Fan @ Feb 12 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>hard to pick one episode, but if you're not watching The Wire you're missing out on one of the greatest most intense TV Drama's of all time.

my favorite sequence is the 'f**k' scene where McNulty and Bunk investigate an old murder scene where the only dialogue used is f**k in different tones and with different adjectives with it.
    I think there is a Youtube clip of this scene.</div>
    "Fuck mee...." (that scene was great)

Seriously though, you've nailed it. I don't get to watch the Wire live, but its the best television show currently on air.

9. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

My wife and I tore through Season's 1-4 in about 6 weeks, it's griping stuff.
    of course it's going to be cancelled after this season.. gawd that sucks.

10. lukewarmplay

lukewarmplay Hired Goons

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Petey @ Feb 12 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lukewarmplay @ Feb 12 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The fourth hour of Lost- which is the first Locke flashback ep; "don't tell me what I can't do!"

Smile Time.</div>

Are you really that much into Veronica Mars?

-Petey

</div>

I'm of the opinion that season 1 was one of the 5 finest seasons in modern television history. Season 2 was meh, salvaged by the finale for me, and season 3, meh.

11. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lukewarmplay @ Feb 12 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm of the opinion that season 1 was one of the 5 finest seasons in modern television history. Season 2 was meh, salvaged by the finale for me, and season 3, meh.</div>

The way you talk about the show, I would expect Kristen Bell to spend 44 minutes of the hour naked.

-Petey

12. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Family Guy's Star War episode. It was awesome.

Fresh Prince. More like 3 hours on Nick at Nite, but still...best hours on TV. My favorite...the 2-part (pretty much 1 hour) episode where they left their home.

Monk's always good. Especially with the short-haired young blonde girl. She's a hottie IMO.

Usually, Scrubs is on for an hour on Comedy Central. I always love watching that. Favorite episode? Air band.

13. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

x-files, HOME. the pig man esp. i still can't sleep through the night you know.

14. lukewarmplay

lukewarmplay Hired Goons

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Petey @ Feb 12 2008, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lukewarmplay @ Feb 12 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm of the opinion that season 1 was one of the 5 finest seasons in modern television history. Season 2 was meh, salvaged by the finale for me, and season 3, meh.</div>

The way you talk about the show, I would expect Kristen Bell to spend 44 minutes of the hour naked.

-Petey
    </div>

Yeah, she's a bit of all right.
    Have you not seen the show?

15. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    This more your speed, Petey?

[​IMG]

16. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

The last few mins of a NBA game?
    The first time you get to watch SC for the day
    Everyday Italian
    Dexter

17. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Any episode of House or NCIS.

Unless, one of the local PBS stations shows Blackadder & Red Dwarf.

18. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

over here in England [​IMG]

It has to be Shameless or Skins.

Shameless
    <div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sglouyng0vI&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sglouyng0vI&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>