Report: Brock Lesnar Returns in August

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by Celtic Fan, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Brock LesnarBrock Lesnar’s chance to redeem his debut loss at UFC 81 was expected to come at June’s UFC 85 event in London. However, Lesnar will now be on the shelf until August.

The news comes from Yahoo! Sports. Dave Meltzer spoke to UFC president Dana White about the date.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported, heavyweight Justin McCully has been approached about a fight with Lesnar and is expected to accept it. McCully revealed the planned bout while a recent guest on HDNet’s “Inside MMA” show. It’ll now likely come in August.
    The UFC hasn’t officially (or even unofficially) announced any fight dates for August, though.

Earlier this month, Lesnar made his much-anticipated octagon debut at UFC 81. Although dominating all but a few seconds of the fight, he suffered a first-round submission via knee-bar to Frank Mir. However, the event proved to be one of the most successful pay-per-views in UFC history, with more than 650,000 “buys,” thanks largely to Lesnar, a former NCAA Division 1 national wrestling champ and former World Wrestling Entertainment performer.

Even before the Lesnar-Mir fight took place, The Sun had reported that UFC officials in the organization’s U.K. office were targeting Lesnar for headliner status at UFC 85, which takes place June 7 at the 02 Arena in London. A light heavyweight bout between Chuck Liddell and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will likely headline the event instead.</div>

makes sense, he's a big draw and the UFC cards up until August are stacked...

2. knicksfan3

knicksfan3 Nets Season Ticket Holder - Section 225

Its disappointing that it won't be until then, but I guess it does make sense from a card standpoint. Problem is he then won't probably fight again until December/January at the very least. I think they should have worked harder to ensure he fought 3 times this year.

3. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

He should fight Kimbo.

4. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

I think he'd murder Kimbo because he'd be able to take him down and Kimbo on the ground is a huge question mark.

I think it's also pushed back so he can train more...

5. LakerBlood

LakerBlood M.V.P

Can't wait for it. Though the match won't take place in a while.