Sean Avery

Discussion in 'EAST: Metropolitan Division' started by Big Frame, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

2. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

Laughing at him. Like the clown that he is.

3. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

It was pretty frickin' funny. But I'd have liked to see him do that to Billy Smith, back in the day.

4. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney @ Apr 14 2008, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It was pretty frickin' funny. But I'd have liked to see him do that to Billy Smith, back in the day.</div>
    Thats the thing, one of the Devils shulda got him out of there.

5. ToddMacCulloch11

ToddMacCulloch11 Who me?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008...tory?id=3346729

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Sean Avery found yet another way to annoy Martin Brodeur -- and forced the NHL to change a rule in his honor.

The Hall of Fame resume of the New Jersey Devils goalie doesn't resonate with Avery, the New York Rangers forward who has turned agitation into an art form. During a 5-on-3 power play in New Jersey's 4-3 overtime playoff victory Sunday night, Avery planted himself in the crease and faceguarded Brodeur.

Holding his stick upward, Avery waved it side to side to block Brodeur's vision in a newfangled method of screening. Brodeur gave him a whack, but that was hardly a deterrent.

"I've played for 15 years in this league. I've been watching games for 33 years. I had never seen that in my life," Brodeur said. "I don't think that kind of behavior should be done in front of the net, but there is no rule for it."

That was true Sunday, but not Monday. The NHL moved quickly to eliminate this activity by making an on-the-fly rule interpretation.

"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play," Colin Campbell, the NHL director of hockey operations, said in a statement.</div>

That was quick