Series Thread: #1 Boston Celtics vs. #8 Atlanta Hawks

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by CelticBalla32, Apr 17, 2008.

1. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div align="CENTER"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:Navy">0</span></span> [​IMG] vs. [​IMG] <span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:Green">2</span></span></div>

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Series Schedule/Scores</span>
    Game 1: ATL 81, BOS 104 (BOS leads 1-0)
    Game 2: ATL 77, BOS 96 (BOS leads 2-0)
    Game 3: Saturday, April 26: Boston @ Atlanta, 8 p.m. - ESPN, CSN HD
    Game 4: Monday, April 28: Boston @ Atlanta, 8 p.m - TNT, CSN HD
    *Game 5: Wednesday, April 30: Atlanta @ Boston, TBA, if necessary
    *Game 6: Friday, May 2: Boston @ Atlanta, TBA, if necessary
    *Game 7: Sunday, May 4: Atlanta @ Boston, TBA, if necessary

<div align="CENTER"><span style="color:Navy"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">Atlanta Hawks</span></span>
    [​IMG]
    <span style="color:Red">Regular Season Record:</span> <span style="color:Navy">37-45</span>
    <span style="color:Red">Eastern Conference Seed:</span> <span style="color:Navy">8</span>

<span style="color:Navy"><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Starting Lineup</span></span>
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <span style="color:Red">G</span> <span style="color:Navy">Mike Bibby</span> <span style="color:Red">G</span> <span style="color:Navy">Joe Johnson</span> <span style="color:Red">F</span> <span style="color:Navy">Marvin Williams</span> <span style="color:Red">F</span> <span style="color:Navy">Josh Smith</span> <span style="color:Red">C</span> <span style="color:Navy">Al Horford</span>

<span style="color:Navy"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Series Leaders</span></span>
    <span style="color:Red">Scoring:</span> <span style="color:Navy">Joe Johnson (15.0 PPG)</span>
    <span style="color:Red">Rebounding:</span> <span style="color:Navy">Al Horford (9.5 RPG)</span>
    <span style="color:Red">Assists:</span> <span style="color:Navy">Joe Johnson (4.0 APG)</span>
    <span style="color:Red">Steals:</span> <span style="color:Navy">Josh Smith (1.5 SPG)</span>
    <span style="color:Red">Blocks:</span> <span style="color:Navy">Josh Smith (3.5 BPG)</span>

<span style="color:Green"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">Boston Celtics</span></span>
    [​IMG]
    <span style="color:Black">Regular Season Record:</span> <span style="color:Green">66-16</span>
    <span style="color:Black">Eastern Conference Seed:</span> <span style="color:Green">1</span>

<span style="color:Green"><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Starting Lineup</span></span>
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <span style="color:Black">G</span> <span style="color:Green">Rajon Rondo</span> <span style="color:Black">G</span> <span style="color:Green">Ray Allen</span> <span style="color:Black">F</span> <span style="color:Green">Paul Pierce</span> <span style="color:Black">F</span> <span style="color:Green">Kevin Garnett</span> <span style="color:Black">C</span> <span style="color:Green">Kendrick Perkins</span>

<span style="color:Green"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Series Leaders</span></span>
    <span style="color:Black">Scoring:</span> <span style="color:Green">Kevin Garnett (17.5 PPG)</span>
    <span style="color:Black">Rebounding:</span> <span style="color:Green">Kevin Garnett (10.0 RPG)</span>
    <span style="color:Black">Assists:</span> <span style="color:Green">Rajon Rondo (8.5 APG)</span>
    <span style="color:Black">Steals:</span> <span style="color:Green">Rajon Rondo (3.0 SPG)</span>
    <span style="color:Black">Blocks:</span> <span style="color:Green">3 Tied (2.0 BPG)</span>

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Regular Season Series</span>
    Nov. 9: ATL 83, BOS 106
    Mar. 2: ATL 88, BOS 98
    Apr. 12: BOS 99, ATL 89</div>

My Prediction: Celtics in 5, possible sweep.

2. aquaitious

aquaitious Celtic Fan

Oh man, basketball playoffs are back in session in Boston!

One thing I'm a little surprised by is all the time between the games. Teams will have quite some time to rest.

My prediction: Celtics sweep, maybe, just maybe, a game five.

3. pegs

pegs My future wife.

I hope Atlanta gets a win, just for the hell of it. That'd be cool to see.

I'm slightly looking forward to this playoff series, because I'm hoping Atlanta will make this a competitive series.

4. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

If the Hawks can play loose and assume they're not going to win the series, they can win one game but I see the C's wanting to make a statment.
    Celtics in 4

5. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

I think it'll be a quick 4 game series, with Celtics (of course) winning all of them. lol

GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!

6. aquaitious

aquaitious Celtic Fan

LET'S GET THIS SH-TUFF STARTED!

7. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    Celtics in 5

Bibby goes off in Game 3, Boston easily wins Game 2 and Game 5, by atleast 20

8. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

9. CelticBalla32

<div align="center">[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">0</span> [​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">@</span> [​IMG] <span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">0</span>
    Round 1, Game 1
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 8:30 pm ET
    TD BankNorth Garden (Boston, MA)
    Game aired on TNT</div>

Here it is, ladies and gentleman. After three years of agonizing absence, the Boston Celtics are finally back in the NBA Playoffs; this time, with a new attitude. In 2005, the last time the C’s were in the playoffs, you didn’t expect that team to make a whole lot of noise. The first round knockout was rough, especially considering the fact that they were blown out on their home floor in Game 7, but at the end of the day everybody knew that a second round appearance was that team’s ceiling. This year, of course, it is much different. The Celtics are surrounded by a world of expectations, and for good reason. Their 66-16 regular season record ranks third in this franchise’s illustrious history, and the fan base is finally thinking championship again.

Sixty-six wins and 16 losses is certainly an impressive accomplishment, but this is a new season. When the postseason begins, every team goes in with the same 0-0 record. The regular season feat that the Celtics put together is remarkable, and it is the reason why they’ve locked up homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs, but this is where the “real season” begins. There are questions to be answered, runs to be made, and dreams to be both met and broken.

Boston’s first round matchup is the young and athletic Atlanta Hawks, who just squeezed into the Eastern Conference playoffs with a sub-par 37-45 regular season record. Their roster is made up of gifted offensive players, athletic freaks, and energy guys. That type of formula has given the Celtics a bit of trouble throughout the regular season, and Atlanta certainly is not a team that will back down from the challenge. Mike Woodson’s up-and-coming club will give the Celtics some hard-fought battles, win or lose.

With that said, the C’s will show no mercy. It’s time to make a statement, and above all a title run. This is just the beginning of what could be a special season with a special ending, so let’s make sure we all soak it in and enjoy each and every minute of it.

As for the fans who will be attending tonight’s game at the Garden, it’s time to show Atlanta what “The Jungle” is all about. I’ll leave you with this message from Kevin Garnett: “keep this mutha rockin.”

Projected Starters
    C
    Al Horford / Kendrick Perkins
    PF Josh Smith / Kevin Garnett
    SF Marvin Williams / Paul Pierce
    SG Joe Johnson / Ray Allen
    PG Mike Bibby / Rajon Rondo

Key Matchup: Mike Bibby vs. Rajon Rondo

Doc Rivers believes that the key matchup in this first round series is Rajon Rondo versus Mike Bibby, and it’s tough to disagree. Rondo holds the physical advantages and could really attack Bibby off penetration if his mindset is in the right place, while Bibby is able to create his own shot himself and has a great deal of experience on Rondo. Rondo’s play on each end of the court is key for the Celtics throughout this series. Will Rondo come in with the mentality to attack? Will Rondo knock down the mid-range jumpers the defense gives him? Will Rondo cut off Bibby when he looks to make a move with the ball, and will he contest his perimeter jumpers? We all know what Rondo is capable of, and we know that he very well can do all of those things, but this is the NBA playoffs. He has never been a part of them, and it’ll be interesting to see if he can live up to the challenge right away.

Celtics X-Factor: Ball Control

In the regular season, the Celtics can turn the ball over 16-20 times in a game and still come out on top. In the playoffs, especially if they go deep, ball control will virtually make or break you against a competitive, hungry opponent. The Celtics cannot turn the ball over in the playoffs, especially in the postseason opener against a very athletic team that can do damage in transition.

Injury Report
    ATL
    – Speedy Claxton (left knee – out for season)
    BOS – Scot Pollard (torn tendon in left ankle – out for season)

Celtics Keys to the Game
    • Ball Control
    • Defense
    • Contain Atlanta’s Offensive Glass
    • 48-Minute Energy

10. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Celtics in 4 on the Drive for 17. [​IMG]

Hopefully I'll catch the 4th quarter, depending on how soon I get to the hotel in Charlotte.

11. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    31 27 Celtics, Hawks aren't playing too bad

12. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Lets go Hawks, keep it close!

13. CelticBalla32

Jesus Shuttlesworth has entered the building.

14. CelticBalla32

After that ugly airmail, it's great to see Rondo knock down a couple of jumpers. Keep it up Rondo. This is the 3rd guy they've thrown at you this quarter. Keep hurtin' em.

15. CelticBalla32

LEON POWE!!! Wow! Then KG caps it off with some intense shit. Woooo!!!

16. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

Hawks got out coached

17. CelticBalla32

One down, 15 to go. You guys can check out my Game 1 recap at this link.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (o.iatlhawksfan @ Apr 21 2008, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hawks got out coached</div>

Somewhere, aquaitious is rolling on the floor in irony.

18. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

They also got outscored. I think that was the bigger reason why they lost.

19. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

Hello all! Sorry I have not been around too much. Sometimes life gets in the way.

Anyway - the Hawks have some nice talent, but they are not even in the same league as the Celtics. We'll win in 4 and then get some rest.

Playoffs. Make that Playoffs with a LEGIT shot at a banner. Been a LONG time. Lovin' it!

20. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

From the AP's game 2 preview.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Mike Bibby thought the Celtics’ crowd was loud in the playoff opener. He should get an even bigger earful in Game 2 after slamming the fans.

Bibby called Boston’s backers “fair weather” fans who jumped on the “bandwagon” when the Celtics grew from one of the NBA’s worst teams last season into the one with the best record in the league this season.

“I wouldn’t say it’s the smartest comment,” Kevin Garnett said Tuesday.

Bibby heard it from the crowd Sunday night when the Celtics beat the Atlanta Hawks 104-81. He scored just five points on 2-for-10 shooting.

“It’s good that they know I’m here,” he said before practice Tuesday on the same floor where he missed all those shots. “Fair weather fans if you ask me.”</div>

Now that you've said that Mike, you better pretend this is 2001 and you are facing the Lakers.

Go Hawks