Caleb Campbell

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Big Frame, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10801980

NEW YORK -- In full cadet uniform, Army's Caleb Campbell sat upright in one of Radio City Music Hall's plush seats. On his head was a Detroit Lions ballcap.

Cupped in his left hand was his ticket out of Iraq.

It was the card the Lions turned in to take Campbell 218th overall Sunday at the NFL Draft, changing his plans to lead a platoon upon graduation. At least for now.

"I'm very fortunate," Campbell said. "Without the Army and the academy ... I wouldn't be able to do this."

Campbell is the first Army football player to benefit from a new policy allowing athletes with a chance to play professionally to complete their service by serving as recruiters and in the reserves.

Campbell will still be on active duty. He'll serve as a recruiter, spending his Tuesday off days from the Lions visiting high schools and working. If his career lasts more than two seasons, he will have the option of buying out the last three years of his active-duty commitment in exchange for six years in the reserves.

Meanwhile, his former teammates and classmates all face the prospect of going to war in Iraq, where more than 4,000 servicemen and women have been killed in the war that has been going on for more than five years with no end in sight.

Campbell wouldn't hesitate to join them.

"I didn't come to the academy to play football," he said. "I came to the academy to become an officer."

He initially had misgivings about passing up on the chance to lead a platoon. But he came around.

Lions coach Rod Marinelli, who served a tour in Vietnam, said on TV that picking the 6-foot-2, 229-pound Campbell was no flyer, and that the former Black Knights defensive back would be used as a linebacker, at least initially. The son of GM Matt Millen is a cadet at West Point.

Campbell "embodies what the academy is all about, and that's what everyone in this country should be trying to be," Millen said. "He's got skills, he's got desire and he's going to get a great opportunity."

On a star-starved second day at the draft, Campbell was the most popular guy in the room. Whenever he appeared on camera, fans chanted "Ca-leb Camp-bell!" and "U-S-A!" with only minimal egging on from ESPN staff.

"This is incredible," Campbell said. "It gives me goosebumps. It's awesome."

Im loving this pick. Matt actually did something right!

2. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

If he sticks, you should get his jersey.

3. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Frame @ Apr 28 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Im loving this pick. Matt actually did something right!</div>

Matt has been getting PR lessons apparently. This guy is not going to put the Lions over the top or anything like that, but you can see what its doing for perception - its making you feel less depressed about the team!

4. Big Frame

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Apr 28 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If he sticks, you should get his jersey.</div>

Even if he dont, cant be any worst then my Rogers or Harrington jersey.

5. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    He still has to make a team to get the protection from that Army rule, right? Is he a lock to make the team? The quote from the Lions coach made it sound like it. Is that PR or does he actually have a good chance?

6. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

He has to make a team, but I think a practice squad spot would work, and he should be able to land that....they are talking about moving him to the weakside LB spot, which in the tampa-2 they run, is the superstar productivity position(think Derrick Brooks, Lance Briggs)....that move might hurt his chance to stick this year....

7. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gambitnut @ Apr 28 2008, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He still has to make a team to get the protection from that Army rule, right? Is he a lock to make the team? The quote from the Lions coach made it sound like it. Is that PR or does he actually have a good chance?</div>

I'm rooting for Caleb, for sure. I would love to see him take the chance of blowing out his knee rather than getting his knee completely blown off, know what I mean?

8. Big Frame

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Apr 28 2008, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He has to make a team, but I think a practice squad spot would work, and he should be able to land that....they are talking about moving him to the weakside LB spot, which in the tampa-2 they run, is the superstar productivity position(think Derrick Brooks, Lance Briggs)....that move might hurt his chance to stick this year....</div>

They will move him to strongside, becouse Ernie Sims is on the weakside. If anything I can see him playing Special Teams this year.

9. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Frame @ Apr 29 2008, 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Apr 28 2008, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He has to make a team, but I think a practice squad spot would work, and he should be able to land that....they are talking about moving him to the weakside LB spot, which in the tampa-2 they run, is the superstar productivity position(think Derrick Brooks, Lance Briggs)....that move might hurt his chance to stick this year....</div>

They will move him to strongside, becouse Ernie Sims is on the weakside. If anything I can see him playing Special Teams this year.
    </div>

On ESPN's draft broadcast, Marinelli said they project him as a weakside LB