Which teams will NOT make the playoffs in the Western Conference?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by gambitnut, May 17, 2008.

1. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    The Warriors almost made the 2008 playoffs. The Blazers will have Greg Oden and Rudy Fernandez in 2009. The Clippers should have a healthy Brand for the entire season. The Sonics might add Rose to Durant and Green. The Kings, Grizzles and Timberwolves have talent as well. Then there's the teams that made the playoffs in 2008. Seven teams have to be left out though. Which ones? Pick no more than seven.

2. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

So far, the only disagreement is wether the Mavericks will fall off and be replaced by the Blazers. I might be a homer, but the Blazers made a huge leap this year, and that was without Oden. Add in Fernandez as well and I think we make the playoffs. The Mavericks weren't playing very well at the end of the 2008 season.

3. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    alot of this could depend on the bottom half of the west and the draft, alot of good players could be coming west and those teams that were 10-15 this year could help, in a huge way, determine who survives for the playoffs. guys like Beasley and Rose could make a huge impact in the west if they head that way

but i believe Portland will jump in, who falls out, depends, especially because of injuries

4. Jumpman

Jumpman And Your Nominees Are...

Sonics, TWolves, Grizzlies, Kings, Nuggets, Clippers and Warriors.

5. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jumpman @ May 18 2008, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Sonics, TWolves, Grizzlies, Kings, Nuggets, Clippers and Warriors.</div>
    yupp thats what i got too

but Sonics, Wolves, Grizz are the only obvious ones to me

Kings have potential and Clippers still have some talent (but also depends on Maggette if he stays in Clipperland)

Nuggets and Warriors were a toss up along with Mavs and Blazers

6. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Take this year's playoff teams, subtract Jazz and Mavs, add Warriors and Blazers.

I'm doubtful of Boozer staying in Utah...I'm probably wrong, though.

7. Astral

Astral Member

I see Phoenix falling out of the playoffs along with Denver. Replaced by Mavs and Portland.

8. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Astral @ May 19 2008, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I see Phoenix falling out of the playoffs along with Denver. Replaced by Mavs and Portland.</div>

The mavs were in this year

9. Astral

Astral Member

LOL. Sorry, I'm such a dumbass. I knew that [​IMG]
    Ok, then either Phoenix or Denver stays in. If they don't trade Melo, I think Denver stays in the playoffs.. unless someone gets injured.

10. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gambitnut @ May 18 2008, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So far, the only disagreement is wether the Mavericks will fall off and be replaced by the Blazers. I might be a homer, but the Blazers made a huge leap this year, and that was without Oden. Add in Fernandez as well and I think we make the playoffs. The Mavericks weren't playing very well at the end of the 2008 season.</div>

don't forget to add their lottery pick of this year, Alexander will be a great pick for them, I see Portland making the playoffs, still not sure about their PG, Jack is nice, so is Blake, but...I'm not sure, but then again Roy is a PG sort of, he's a good facilitator, I can't wait to watch Oden, this guys going to be a great player, I think he might be better than Dwight, because of the fact that he has a left hand, and he can shoot free throws, he's just like Dwight in the post, catch and throw it down over anybody, and also I think Dallas will recover and make the playoffs, be a top 5 team, Phoenix will make it IMO, I can't see Denver making it though...and I like Sergio Rodriguez, whatever happened to him?

11. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    you have to question what the Warriors are going to do, remember, Davis & Ellis are free agents, so who knows what ill happen

12. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    oh-wow, hahaha' I misread the question, thought it was what team will make the playoffs...excuse the obvious picks, what i meant to pick was Sonics, Wolves, Grizz, Clipps, Kings, Warriors, Nuggets...

13. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JUNIOR MINT @ Jun 13 2008, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>you have to question what the Warriors are going to do, remember, Davis & Ellis are free agents, so who knows what ill happen</div>

Davis isn't opting out of his deal and Ellis is restricted. Mullin won't let him go unless he gets a max deal and the only team that could offer him one is Memphis but I seriously doubt they do with how crowded their backcourt is already. They guys the Warriors need to hope they can keep is Biedrins and two of Barnes/Pietrus/Azubuike.

14. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

When I picked the Clippers to have a healthy Elton Brand, but not Baron Davis. Davis is good, and having a good PG often helps your other players, but I still think Brand would have helped them more and I'm not sure about their playoff chances at this point. Golden State lost their PG and changed SFs. Do they still have enough?

15. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gambitnut @ Jul 10 2008, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>When I picked the Clippers to have a healthy Elton Brand, but not Baron Davis. Davis is good, and having a good PG often helps your other players, but I still think Brand would have helped them more and I'm not sure about their playoff chances at this point. Golden State lost their PG and changed SFs. Do they still have enough?</div>

Neither the Warriors or the Clippers will make the playoffs as of today. Portland is in.

16. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Other than the Wolves (sadly), Grizz, Sonics, and Clippers, I really think It's up in the air.

I like what Theus has cooking in Sac Town, and if the Blazers can come together, they could make it as well...

17. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tim @ Jul 10 2008, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Other than the Wolves (sadly), Grizz, Sonics, and Clippers, I really think It's up in the air.

I like what Theus has cooking in Sac Town, and if the Blazers can come together, they could make it as well...</div>

Even the Clippers are an uncertainty at this point.

This thread really came too early, but still, it's worth a comment.

What happens if the Clippers are able to sign Josh Smith or Emeka Okafor? Smith looks like a legit possibility at this point, and even if that falls through, a frontline of Okafor and Kaman would be the best defensive and rebounding frontcourt in the league. Add Baron Davis, Al Thornton, Cuttino Mobley, and Eric Gordon to that equation, and you have a potential sleeper for a #7-8 seed. Gordon's really the x-factor in the whole deal, but having Davis anchoring the point really helps out his potential. It's not too crazy to suggest that outside of Beasley and Mayo, Gordon has the best chance of any rookie to score 15+ ppg this season.

As it sits today, I'd have (in no specific order) the Hornets, Spurs, Lakers, Suns, Jazz, and Rockets (injury-free) being locks, with the Mavericks being just outside of that lock status. That leaves about one, maybe two, spots for the bubble teams.

Let's face it, the West is still far and away the better conference, but it's become a lot more top heavy over the years, and so it's a lot more predictable. The only unpredictable part of it all is the last spot or two, which will be a dogfight between the Mavs, Blazers, Nuggets, Clippers, and Warriors, with the first two being my early picks to make the cut, based on what we're looking at right now.

I'd also say that Memphis, Minnesota, Oklahoma City (weird to type that), and Sacramento are locks to miss the playoffs.

18. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

Yea I agree with VC, so the ones that won't make WC playoffs

Most likely won't:
    Oklahoma whatevers, Kings, Grizz, and Wolves

Close, but probably won't have enough:
    Clippers, Warriors

On the brink (Either team probably will be very close)
    Nuggets, Mavs.

Teams that likely will make the playoffs:
    Spurs, Lakers, Jazz, Suns, Rockets, Hornets, and Blazers,