Who Are the True NBA Superstars?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Mamba, May 18, 2008.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

What players are the undisputed Superstars in this league? I'm not talking like Gilbert Arenas...who is a star, but borderline superstar. I'm talking players who can take over the game at any moment, any time, any game.

I've got:

Kobe Bryant
    Tim Duncan (I was borderline about him, but he's been the catalyst for the Spurs)
    LeBron James

Borderline:
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Paul (does one GREAT season warrant him being here)

Throw some more guys out there, I'm not really thinking much.

IMO, I consider Kevin Garnett to be the most overrated superstar in the game. He's great defensively, but imo, he is not that great of a leader. Just because he is vocal doesn't mean anything, Paul Pierce was the true leader for the Celtics out there today, and I think is the true heart and soul of that team. Kevin Garnett is just more marketable than him.

2. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

Duncun
    Kobe
    Lebron

3. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Duncan, Kobe, LeBron, Nash, Paul, Deron (overlooked because of Paul), Dwight. Shaq 4 years ago.

4. Astral

Astral Member

<u>Current:</u>
    K. Bryant
    L. James
    D. Wade
    T. Duncan
    T. McGrady

<u>Fading:</u> (a.k.a. "It was just yesterday...")
    S. Nash
    A. Iverson
    V. Carter
    B. Davis

<u>Rising:</u> (a.k.a. "Watch out!)
    C. Paul
    A. Stoudamire
    T. Parker

<u>Almost, but no dice:</u> (a.k.a. "Aw come on, we're superstars!")
    P. Pierce
    D. Nowitzki
    C. Anthony
    M. Ginobili
    Y. Ming
    C. Butler
    G. Arenas

I think I'll get lots of differing opinions, but I can't place Deron Williams in this category. He's just... too... tame? But a large part of it probably has to do with him playing in Utah.
    I also can't classify Howard as a superstar. He got shut down too easily in the DET series. If he continues to work on his body and game, in a year or 2 he'll be a true superstar.
    Chris Bosh is just not superstar material.

5. LakerBlood

LakerBlood M.V.P

<ul>[*]Kobe Bryant[*]LeBron James[*]Paul Pierce[/list]

6. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

I'd consider putting Kidd in the fading, and Garnett in the almost.

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Everyone has their own definition of a superstar. To me, a superstar is also marketable. He provides everything you can want on and off the court.

8. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Current:

Chris Paul
    Tim Duncan
    Kobe Bryant
    LeBron James
    Steve Nash
    Dwight Howard
    Gilbert Arenas

Rank II:

Dwayne Wade (when healthy)
    Tracy McGrady (when healthy)
    Amare Stoudemire
    Kevin Garnett
    Paul Pierce
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Allen Iverson
    Deron Williams
    Yao Ming (when healthy)

I probably forgot some, but that basically my list.

9. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Astral's got a nice list, there. Just add in Dwight Howard to "rising".

10. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Current:
    K. Bryant
    L. James
    D. Wade
    T. Duncan
    T. McGrady

Fading: (a.k.a. "It was just yesterday...")
    S. Nash
    A. Iverson
    V. Carter
    B. Davis

Rising: (a.k.a. "Watch out!)
    C. Paul
    A. Stoudamire
    T. Parker

Almost, but no dice: (a.k.a. "Aw come on, we're superstars!")
    P. Pierce
    D. Nowitzki
    C. Anthony
    M. Ginobili
    Y. Ming
    C. Butler
    G. Arenas</div>

pretty good list... but AI is still at the top of the league in Jersey sales, and had one of the best individual seasons of his career. Why is he a just yesterday superstar? McGrady IS a "fading superstar" and IMO shouldn't really even be considered a "superstar" at all. After this year CP3 will be considered a superstar, and also the best pg in the league. IMO CP3 will go down as a top 3 player to ever play the game.

11. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Superstars:
    K. Bryant
    L. James
    D. Wade

Stars:
    T. Duncan
    P. Pierce
    K. Garnett
    D. Nowitzki

Fading:
    S. Nash
    A. Iverson
    V. Carter
    T. McGrady

Rising (super)stars:
    C. Paul
    A. Stoudamire
    D. Howard
    C. Anthony
    C. Bosh
    D. Williams

12. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Astral @ May 19 2008, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><u>Current:</u>
    K. Bryant
    L. James
    D. Wade
    T. Duncan
    T. McGrady

<u>Fading:</u> (a.k.a. "It was just yesterday...")
    S. Nash
    A. Iverson
    V. Carter
    B. Davis

<u>Rising:</u> (a.k.a. "Watch out!)
    C. Paul
    A. Stoudamire
    T. Parker

<u>Almost, but no dice:</u> (a.k.a. "Aw come on, we're superstars!"
    P. Pierce
    D. Nowitzki
    C. Anthony
    M. Ginobili
    Y. Ming
    C. Butler
    G. Arenas

I think I'll get lots of differing opinions, but I can't place Deron Williams in this category. He's just... too... tame? But a large part of it probably has to do with him playing in Utah.
    I also can't classify Howard as a superstar. He got shut down too easily in the DET series. If he continues to work on his body and game, in a year or 2 he'll be a true superstar.
    Chris Bosh is just not superstar material.</div>

Your buggin' man! haha @ Deron Williams, if anything he's better than Paul, the guy took his team to the WCF just 2 years ago, and he was a sophomore, his game is like that because he's put in a system like that!, that's what people don't realize, and the guys also bigger than Paul as well, and more athletic, can drive to the rack easier than Paul, shot is better as well, don't get me wrong, I love Paul, I've followed him since the All-American game and I heard about when he scored 63 for his grandfather, I've been following & supporting him since, but the guy has 1 great season, and a great playoff performance and their hyping him up and analyst like Greg Anthony and other ESPN people are saying he's better than Magic already?, cmon, lets see if he can be consistent first and at the end of his career we'll say something as dumb as that...and also I think I will put Stoudamire at superstar, he has a great offensive low post game (remember when he was dropping almost 40 on Duncan in the playoffs just a couple years ago? [​IMG] ) Also, Melo should be looked at as a superstar (yes, I know he "plays no defense", but that's because the whole Denver Nuggets team play no defense so it might have gave him that kind of effect I suppose), Greg Oden IMO will be better than Dwight, yes, I know I might get hate but Oden is just as Dwight in the post, catch and dunk, he throws it down hard, not a soft player, great rebounder, can defend well, and he has a left hand, which Dwight doesn't, Brandon Roy IMO is a come up player, and it's also around 3 something, so I might of bugged out writing some of this becuz I'm alil sleepy hahah'...and also, I agree with you on Chris Bosh, there's just something about him that...doesn't make him look like a superstar...or something?...

13. Jonah

Jonah Legend

So what makes Steve Nash a superstar and Dirk Nowitzki not?

Nash has just a good a supporting cast but the Mavericks have done better in the past few years

14. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I agree with you all on Chris Bosh: he isn't a superstar right now. However, I'll disagree about the notion that he "doesn't have it in him." I don't think he's been developed properly the last couple seasons. He's one of the most physically-talented/athletically-gifted forwards in the league, he's got a diverse skillset, and yet somehow he's become such a one-dimensional player. But I think its impressive that he's able to average 20+ ppg and still be an explosive threat, given he plays within the most predictable offense in the NBA. And I think its impressive that he's able to grab 10+ rebounds a game, given that he's never been taught how to box out or play any semblance of team defense.

15. Buccaneer

Buccaneer New Member

I think the only two superstars in the league are Kobe and LeBron. These guys can beat a team by themselves.

16. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Buccaneer @ Jun 16 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think the only two superstars in the league are Kobe and LeBron. These guys can beat a team by themselves.</div>

Welcome to S2, Buccaneer! If you need anything or have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I think it's tough to measure a superstar. Right now, though, it seems as if Lebron couldn't beat the Celtics by himself, and Kobe is needing some help beating them as well. Meanwhile, Peirce is having no problem dropping 30 on opponents and getting W's. Don't you think he's making a case for himself?

And what about Dwight, who's quickly approaching being the most dominant player in the league?

Also, Chris Paul...he was in the running for MVP, with most saying he was 2nd most deserving. What do you think about him not being a superstar..?

17. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Don't PM pegs, he might fall in love with you like he does everyone else.

Superstars right now have to be Kobe, LeBron, Paul, Dwight, Wade if he can come back from the injury. Stars are guys like Carmelo, who has the superstar potential, Bosh, Jefferson, Deron and Josh Smith.

18. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

I don't see Josh Smith being a superstar, or atleast won't reach the level of some of the players being named in this thread. IMO Al horford has the best chance to be a superstar on the Hawks.

19. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Smith needs better work ethic, but statistically, he can put up superstar numbers.

20. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (o.iatlhawksfan @ Jun 16 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I don't see Josh Smith being a superstar, or atleast won't reach the level of some of the players being named in this thread. IMO Al horford has the best chance to be a superstar on the Hawks.</div>

His athleticism, size, gifts, and talent are all there for him to become a superstar. But I agree, it's doubtful he's gonna get there.