Free Agency 2008

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by cpawfan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

July will be here before we know it and some team is going to surprise us with the money they spend. Last year it was Orlando giving Rashard Lewis a massive contract via a sign and trade. So lets make some predictions:

1) Which team do you think will surprise everyone this summer by adding an expensive free agent?

2) Which players do you think will get the most money this summer?

3) Which rotation players do you think will switching teams via free agency?

4) Where will the great Shannon Brown end up?

2. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    Josh Smith will probably get paid the most, I hope they keep Childress as well, I think Magette & maybe Brand will be leaving as well, and now that Gilbert opt-out, will he re-sign? Or go back home to LA? And sign with the Clippers?...We'll just have to wait and see...

3. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    Another player who will be getting paid, Jr Smith, the kid's still young, 22, raw talent, has plenty of potential, I'm interested to see what happens with him, and oh, as for Shannon Brown...well... [​IMG] haha'

4. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I'm betting Gilbert and Smith demand a ton of cash, and rightfully so. I'm not too sure if Smith will remain a Hawk, though I'm betting Gilbert stays in Washington, just a hunch.

5. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moo2K4 @ Jun 13 2008, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm betting Gilbert and Smith demand a ton of cash, and rightfully so. I'm not too sure if Smith will remain a Hawk, though I'm betting Gilbert stays in Washington, just a hunch.</div>

I agree on the cash part, but Atlanta has tons of cap space (I believe), and I don't think they'll let Smith go, and I don't think Smith will want to leave as well, since ATL is his hometown...and for Gilbert, I heard he only opted out because he'll accept lesser money so the Wizards will be able to re-sign Jamison...something like that?

6. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JUNIOR MINT @ Jun 13 2008, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Another player who will be getting paid, Jr Smith, the kid's still young, 22, raw talent, has plenty of potential, I'm interested to see what happens with him, and oh, as for Shannon Brown...well... [​IMG] haha'</div>

I know that the Denver Front Office really likes JR, but I'm not sure how much the owner will allow them to spend without clearing some other contracts.

The Shannon Brown question is a joke aimed at another Admin

7. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 12 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>July will be here before we know it and some team is going to surprise us with the money they spend. Last year it was Orlando giving Rashard Lewis a massive contract via a sign and trade. So lets make some predictions:

1) Which team do you think will surprise everyone this summer by adding an expensive free agent?

4) Where will the great Shannon Brown end up?</div>

1/ Charlotte or Philly

2) Probably Smoove or Gilbert. I could see someone offering Maggette alot.

3)Magette

8. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 13 2008, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JUNIOR MINT @ Jun 13 2008, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Another player who will be getting paid, Jr Smith, the kid's still young, 22, raw talent, has plenty of potential, I'm interested to see what happens with him, and oh, as for Shannon Brown...well... [​IMG] haha'</div>

I know that the Denver Front Office really likes JR, but I'm not sure how much the owner will allow them to spend without clearing some other contracts.

The Shannon Brown question is a joke aimed at another Admin
    </div>

Oh...well I was just joking around also...

9. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (o.iatlhawksfan @ Jun 13 2008, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 12 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>July will be here before we know it and some team is going to surprise us with the money they spend. Last year it was Orlando giving Rashard Lewis a massive contract via a sign and trade. So lets make some predictions:

4) Where will the great Shannon Brown end up?</div>

1/ Charlotte or Philly

2) Probably Smoove or Gilbert. I could see someone offering Maggette alot.

3)Magette
    </div>

What will Philly do with Igoudala? I think it's obvious that they should re-sign him, I see a potential 25, 6 and 6 guy, reminds me of Vince in his prime in some ways the way he attacks the basket, also I see a mini LeBron in him, he has the quickness, athleticism, passing ability, slashing ability, the body, just hasn't developed the take over part in his game yet, and his jump shot. Also there's been rumors that Maurice Cheeks will like Zach Randolph, since they had a relationship back in Portland, & the rumor was that they give away Reggie Evans and their #16 pick for Zach, not sure if you heard about that though?

10. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    It's gonna be interesting to see what happens with JR Smith...but it will have alot to do with what they do with Melo, Camby and AI. Either way they should resign him. If he gets a strong rolemodel type influence to get on his ass he could really be something, but him being young and playing with AI and Melo...he's not taking things seriously enough.

*Added note...Minnesota should take a swing at Diop to help Big Al inside with the boards.

11. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

I think Maggette is moved to a contender...he has enough money for his life, he wants to win. Same goes for Elton, you can see it in his eyes, although I'm not sure Elton would leave.

12. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Haha. I want to hear VC's opinion on Shannon Brown

13. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Hmm. I wanna bring this thread back up, this interests me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents
    ^for reference...

1.) 76ers, since they're an up and coming team with owners that may be willing to spend more money. They just made the playoffs, and won a couple games against one of the best teams in the league. It'd be a mistake for them not to at least try to get a good FA. I feel as if Duhon, Ellis, Gordon are...or at least should be at the top of their list of players to go after.

2.) Obviously, it will be Josh Smith. He's a young, healthy up-and-coming player. He's just developing a shot, and he already has so many gifts and skills that give him the potential to be a great, all-star player. IMO superstar potential (but I doubt he'll ever be a superstar).

3.) For some reason, I think Nenad will be leaving the Nets for another team willing to give him much more than them.
    Ricky Davis is another one that stands out to me. I can't see Miami wanting to keep him.
    Elson is going to another team definitely, but that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

4.) Shannon Brown will end up with the Hawks. Not sure why.

14. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 15 2008, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hmm. I wanna bring this thread back up, this interests me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents
    ^for reference...

1.) 76ers, since they're an up and coming team with owners that may be willing to spend more money. They just made the playoffs, and won a couple games against one of the best teams in the league. It'd be a mistake for them not to at least try to get a good FA. I feel as if Duhon, Ellis, Gordon are...or at least should be at the top of their list of players to go after.

2.) Obviously, it will be Josh Smith. He's a young, healthy up-and-coming player. He's just developing a shot, and he already has so many gifts and skills that give him the potential to be a great, all-star player. IMO superstar potential (but I doubt he'll ever be a superstar).

3.) For some reason, I think Nenad will be leaving the Nets for another team willing to give him much more than them.
    Ricky Davis is another one that stands out to me. I can't see Miami wanting to keep him.
    Elson is going to another team definitely, but that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

4.) Shannon Brown will end up with the Hawks. Not sure why.</div>

Because you said so.