What has the NBA Finals done to your opinion of Kobe?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by cpawfan, Jun 17, 2008.

1. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

I'm making this thread with 18 game minutes left in Game 6 of the 2008 Finals with Boston crushing LA 77-48. Has this NBA Finals altered your opinion of Kobe? If so, what change has it made. If not, why not?

2. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Probably a little. He isn't the only reason we look like we're going to lose series, but he certainly deserves some of the blame. I love Kobe, but I expected him to explode and lead us to victory in the Finals, but I guess not. Game 4 hurt as well. Again, not all the blame should be on his shoulders, but as the leader of the team, he definitely should take some blame for his team choking up a 24 point lead. Like I said before, a Michael Jordan team wouldn't have done that (not that I have ever though Kobe was better than MJ). Obviously not all the blame should be put on him, watching Game 6 tonight, it seems like Kobe is the only one who came to play for the Lakers. Everybody else seems scared, or they just gave up. You also have to give a lot of credit to the Celtics, their defense is, and has been amazing the entire season and postseason. With all that being said, I still believe Kobe is the best player in the game today, and if I had to pick one active player to win one game for me, with my life on the line, there's no doubt in my mind Kobe would still be my pick. One series does not erase everything he has accomplished throughout the course of his career

3. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

It hasn't for me; the celtics are just that damn good

4. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

On Sunday I watched Tiger Woods right before watching Kobe.

Let's just say the direct comparison didn't do Kobe any favors in my mind.

5. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Well I think it is important to see how Kobe as an individual at least finishes out Game 6. I'm sure he is aware of this.

6. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jun 17 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It hasn't for me; the celtics are just that damn good</div>

Yeah I still feel Kobe is one of the best 5 or 6 to lace em up and the best player in the game. But I'm even more convinced now than ever that he isn't Jordan.

7. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

He's still the best player in the NBA, but he'll always have people saying that he didn't win one on his own unless he wins one.

8. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (playaofthegame @ Jun 17 2008, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jun 17 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It hasn't for me; the celtics are just that damn good</div>

Yeah I still feel Kobe is one of the best 5 or 6 to lace em up and the best player in the game. But I'm even more convinced now than ever that he isn't Jordan.
    </div>
    To be honest, I don't think anyone on S2 ever thought Kobe was as good, or even better than Jordan. It's just the media jumping on the Kobe bandwagon.

9. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 17 2008, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (playaofthegame @ Jun 17 2008, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jun 17 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It hasn't for me; the celtics are just that damn good</div>

</div>
    To be honest, I don't think anyone on S2 ever thought Kobe was as good, or even better than Jordan. It's just the media jumping on the Kobe bandwagon.
    </div>

No, VC did think Kobe was better.

This will be a tough off-season, who knows how Kobe will do next year. Tough to guarantee anything.

10. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

It changed my opinion a little. I think I was more impressed with how Pierce played this series.

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    What I think is...

Ainge went from being the worst GM in the history of the NBA to exec of the year.

Doc was the worst coach in the history of the NBA, now look at him.

12. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jun 17 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It changed my opinion a little. I think I was more impressed with how Pierce played this series.</div>

I think you're out of your mind. Pierce is 3-12 and is not getting called out for his lame performances. Granted Kobe was not great.

13. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

I can't help but looking at this: Kobe's Game 6 pales to LBJ's Game 7

14. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 17 2008, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I can't help but looking at this: Kobe's Game 6 pales to LBJ's Game 7</div>

What about LeBron last year in the Finals? Can't help...

15. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 17 2008, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jun 17 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It changed my opinion a little. I think I was more impressed with how Pierce played this series.</div>

I think you're out of your mind. Pierce is 3-12 and is not getting called out for his lame performances. Granted Kobe was not great.
    </div>
    lol, you are just mad you lost your bet that the Lakers would lose and that Kobe has sucked [​IMG]. Pierce hasn't shot well, but has been aggressive and gotten fouled when he attacked the basket.

14 points on 12 shots, he has 9 assists, 1 TO, 2 steals.

I was speaking of his performance throughout the Finals including his defense.

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Pierce is +31 (+/-) for the game, and leads all players on both teams, and basically played PG all game. He's held Kobe to 7-21 shooting. Though his shot didn't fall, he dished 9 assists and shot 8 FTs.

17. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jun 17 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>lol, you are just mad you lost your bet that the Lakers would lose. Pierce hasn't shot well, but has been aggressive and gotten fouled when he attacked the basket.

14 points on 12 shots, he has 9 assists, 1 TO, 2 steals.

I was speaking of his performance throughout the Finals including his defense.</div>
    I'm not mad about anything. I don't care about being "punished" with an internet sig.

Pierce didn't shut him down alone. KG was consistently good on that side the whole series.

18. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

As basketball is a team sport and Kobe has a good team, my opinion is exactly the same. He's the best player in the world right now and his team fell/might fall short of winning a championship. He is playing his heart out regardless of stats or the decisions Phil makes. The Celtics are also a great team even with the media rape we received. Nothing can take away how great Kobe is.

19. huevonkiller

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Jun 17 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Pierce is +31 (+/-) for the game, and leads all players on both teams, and basically played PG all game. He's held Kobe to 7-21 shooting. Though his shot didn't fall, he dished 9 assists and shot 8 FTs.</div>

No duh, the whole Celtics roster is +100000 this game, I'm impressed by their team, not Pierce.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Here's another way to look at it.

Pierce missed 9 shots.

Kobe missed 14.

Which of those numbers do you think actually hurt his team the most?