ESPN suspends columnist for Hitler comparison

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by TheBeef, Jun 18, 2008.

1. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

In a column published Saturday, Jemele Hill states that "rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan"

its certainly dumb, but Im not sure she should be suspended for this....if anything, she should be fired, but not because of this column, because she sucks so much on TV....Ive seen her on Rome is Burning and she always sounds like shes reading cue cards....

2. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    ive never sen her on TV, that i can recall, do u have a link so i can she her be awful on TV

3. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

I don't remember her either but she should be fired for those comments.

4. agoo

agoo Member

What was the context of those comments? Not that it would make would make anything any better, but I would like to know more about the entire article.

5. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

She was frequently opposite Skip Bayless on First and 10. Perhaps being near Skip all the time has made her believe that saying egregious dumbshit all the time is a way to make a career.

6. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jun 18 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>She was frequently opposite Skip Bayless on First and 10. Perhaps being near Skip all the time has made her believe that saying egregious dumbshit all the time is a way to make a career.</div>

Yeah, I remember her. She's pretty dumb. I read the article post-Hitler edit. Pretty dumb article, IMO.

Oh, and wasn't she the one comparing the Lebron Vogue cover to King Kong?

7. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    As a rule, I am disgusted by this sort of comment.

But suspending someone for making such a stupid (and yes, insensitive) comment isn't the answer. People get carried away by rhetoric, be they sportscasters or government officials.

8. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 18 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jun 18 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>She was frequently opposite Skip Bayless on First and 10. Perhaps being near Skip all the time has made her believe that saying egregious dumbshit all the time is a way to make a career.</div>

Yeah, I remember her. She's pretty dumb. I read the article post-Hitler edit. Pretty dumb article, IMO.

Oh, and wasn't she the one comparing the Lebron Vogue cover to King Kong?
    </div>
    Yeah.

She's a joke, and not the funny type :|

9. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

If Master Shake isn't offended, I'm not offended.

I've wanted her to be fired for being a piss-poor columnist, not because of corporate overreaction.

10. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

She wouldn't have a job if she wasn't a woman.

11. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    She looked good next to Skip Bayless on 1st and 10... not saying much, I know

12. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Thanks Chutney, lol. I'm not offended. I think it's just a very harsh comparison and she's an idiot. Also, if AEM says it's a rule, then it is. I mean, as Jews, any time Hitler is brought up, right away it's hate. I'm not gonna hate her because she didn't kill millions of Jews, and I'm sure she's not trying to bring the Nazi party back. But something like this should warrant a firing, IMO.

13. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney @ Jun 18 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I've wanted her to be fired for being a piss-poor columnist, not because of corporate overreaction.</div>

Spot on.

The only reason she is on ESPN.com is because she says stupid stuff that gets reactions and therefore page hits

However, if she gets fired, the ends justify the means.

14. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 18 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney @ Jun 18 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I've wanted her to be fired for being a piss-poor columnist, not because of corporate overreaction.</div>

Spot on.

The only reason she is on ESPN.com is because she says stupid stuff that gets reactions and therefore page hits

However, if she gets fired, the ends justify the means.
    </div>

Man that is ruthless.....

Though I agree with Chut.

15. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

cpaw is right though. She's a female Scoop Jackson.

16. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I hate her voice.

How long is she suspended for?

17. Hang Eleven

Hang Eleven BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Should she have been suspended? Yes. But, honestly, the fault is not strictly her own. ESPN allowed her piece to go online, and I'd be willing to bet they counted on stirring a controversy by doing so. But when the controversy exploded to such massive proportions, they completely distanced themselves from the problem.

The quotes released by ESPN put all blame on Ms. Hill, and do not in any way put a modicum of culpability on the company itself. That is wrong. Her editors, as well as the production managers in charge of actually putting the article online, must share some of the responsibility for this story seeing the light of day.</div>

Link

I really think the guy is right: Exactly how can ESPN not be blamed for letting it get their censors? Just saying that there was a "breakdown in the system of editorial checks and balances" is not enough.

On a side note, here's another thing the columnist's right on:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I have found her writings to be riddled with reverse racism, and she seems to search for anything possible to make into a racial subject.</div>

18. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

What is reverse racism?

19. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

Maybe its someone who supports every other race but mocks/demeans their own?

I don't know anything about her except that she wrote the King Kong article on Lebron on vogue.

20. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Jun 19 2008, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>What is reverse racism?</div>
    Her inferiority complex when discussing black people.