LeBron gives Brooklyn some love

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by Universe, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"My favorite borough? Brooklyn," James said, choosing the proposed future home of the New Jersey Nets over the borough of Manhattan, where the Knicks play their home games. "Brooklyn is definitely a great place here in New York City, and some of my best friends are from Brooklyn, so I stick up for them."</div>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468173

What a tease.

2. FrankieNetsLBJ6

FrankieNetsLBJ6 Member

NEW YORK -- All that LeBron James-to-the-Knicks speculation might be focused on the right city but the wrong team.

It appears, judging from James' comments Monday, that the Nets might be James' preferred destination if he opts out of his contract in the summer of 2010 and becomes an unrestricted free agent.

James listed New York as his favorite city Monday (his hometown of Akron, Ohio came in fifth behind Washington D.C., Dallas, and Los Angeles) as he took part in a one-day USA Basketball media blitz, and he also gave an answer to a follow-up question that'll make Knicks president Donnie Walsh and head coach Mike D'Antoni cringe.

[+] Enlarge
    LeBron James

David Dow/NBAE/Getty Images

LeBron James and Team USA were in New York Monday for photo shoots and a team pep rally at Rockefeller Center.

"My favorite borough? Brooklyn," James said, choosing the proposed future home of the New Jersey Nets over the borough of Manhattan, where the Knicks play their home games. "Brooklyn is definitely a great place here in New York City, and some of my best friends are from Brooklyn, so I stick up for them."

James is personal friends with the performer Jay-Z, who owns a small piece of the Nets, but James said that relationship would play no role in whether he decides to leave Cleveland -- either when his contract expires in 2011, or if he exercises his opt-out in 2010. The Nets made a major financial move on draft night to position themselves to make a maximum offer to James in the summer of 2010, shedding Richard Jefferson's contract when they dealt him to Milwaukee for Bobby Simmons and Yi Jianlian. If New Jersey chooses to trade Vince Carter for a player or players whose contracts expire before the summer of 2010, they'll have more than enough room to offer James a maximum salary.

The Knicks have also made clear that their No. 1 priority is to clear cap space for the summer of 2010 when James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade can all become unrestricted free agents. But they'll have to move Zach Randolph and at least one other player already under contract through 2010-11 -- Jamal Crawford, Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries -- in order to get far enough below the cap to make James a max offer.

If James waits until 2011 to become a free agent, the Knicks are positioned to have enough room to make a max offer.

James is a frequent visitor to New York, and he constantly hears pleas from Knicks fans -- and a few Nets fans -- to relocate to the nation's media capital two summers down the road. The Nets plan to relocate from East Rutherford to Brooklyn in 2010 if owner Bruce Ratner is able to clear the final hurdles that have delayed the building of his massive Atlantic Yards project in central Brooklyn, which will have the Nets' new arena as its centerpiece.

"They have a right to dream about it, and I can't take that away from them. My friendship was way before Jay was part-owner of the Nets, and I loved the Garden way before I got to the NBA," James said. "For some reason when I get to the Garden I always play well, so they want me to do it 41 games instead of just two nights a year."

Knicks fans were in abundant supply at midday Monday as James and the rest of Team USA were introduced at a Nike press conference at Rockefeller Center, and James played to the crowd like a true showman -- sprinting with a wide smile and open arms into bleacher seats erected at both ends of a temporary court, embracing dozens of youngsters clad in blue "United We Rise" T-shirts.

Earlier, James waved demonstrably at a boatful of tourists from the deck of a ship the team chartered for a photo shoot in New York Harbor with the Statue of Liberty as the backdrop.

"I never thought about doing it, but once you get out there & I'm a big kid personally, I got two young sons at home and I know what they like, so anytime I get around a group of kids it's like a kid in the candy store for me. So, I'm happy I was able to put smiles on those kids faces," James said. "It made my day, totally."

The crowd ate up his act, as did his teammates.

"Was that New York-driven? No, I think it was James-driven. That's who he is," Kidd said. "He's a kid, he's full of energy, he has a lot of personality ... LeBron just has a lot of personality -- you see it in the commercials -- and that's him, and for him to interact with the kids, it might put a little stress on security, but for the kids to be able to touch him and see him in that light, you can't ask anything more than that."

3. Carter15Nets

Carter15Nets Member

HES COMING BABY BOOOK IT

4. Dark Defender

Dark Defender The Dark Passenger

Part-Time Intern, Full Time Student

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"My favorite borough? Brooklyn," James said, choosing the proposed future home of the New Jersey Nets over the borough of Manhattan, where the Knicks play their home games. "Brooklyn is definitely a great place here in New York City, and some of my best friends are from Brooklyn, so I stick up for them."</div>

Discuss.

5. ZAE

ZAE Active Member

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>James listed New York as his favorite city Monday (his hometown of Akron, Ohio came in fifth behind Washington D.C., Dallas, and Los Angeles)</div>
    That might be even bigger news, that Akron came in 5th.

6. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

Where was Cleveland on this list?

7. Special_Delivery

Special_Delivery Member

Cleveland? Probably right after Portland, which was right after THE LLAMA FARM IN NEW MEXICO

8. Netsfan318

Netsfan318 Member

When he comes to the Nets be it this year, next year w/e, he will be refered to as "DADDY"

9. danxcr

danxcr Active Member

lol daddy james?!?!

10. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

lol, well it seems he wants to go to New York, or the Nets. I think Lebron to the Knicks would make their franchise not look like such garbage even if they re-hired Isaiah.

11. networks

networks Member

I can see he marketing for Brooklyn now.

THE KING'S COUNTY

12. Netted

Netted Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (networks @ Jul 1 2008, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I can see he marketing for Brooklyn now.

THE KING'S COUNTY</div>
    That's right... forgot it's Kings County.

13. Netsfan318

Netsfan318 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jun 30 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>lol, well it seems he wants to go to New York, or the Nets. I think Lebron to the Knicks would make their franchise not look like such garbage even if they re-hired Isaiah.</div>

He's not going to the Knicks, he actually wants to win.

14. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

If he can take the Cavs roster to the Finals, (Eric snow, Drew Gooden, Big Z, Larry Hughes, Damon Jones, Donyell Marshall, Ira Newble) then he could probably do something with the Knicks.

15. Netsfan318

Netsfan318 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 1 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If he can take the Cavs roster to the Finals, (Eric snow, Drew Gooden, Big Z, Larry Hughes, Damon Jones, Donyell Marshall, Ira Newble) then he could probably do something with the Knicks.</div>

He's not going to the Knicks you don't go back on the family

[​IMG]

16. DownWithMSG

DownWithMSG Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Netsfan318 @ Jun 30 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>When he comes to the Nets be it this year, next year w/e, he will be refered to as "DADDY"</div>

That's Shawn Kemp's nickname

17. DownWithMSG

DownWithMSG Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Netsfan318 @ Jul 1 2008, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 1 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If he can take the Cavs roster to the Finals, (Eric snow, Drew Gooden, Big Z, Larry Hughes, Damon Jones, Donyell Marshall, Ira Newble) then he could probably do something with the Knicks.</div>

He's not going to the Knicks you don't go back on the family

[​IMG]
    </div>

yeah and besides words out in the League about the crapfest that is the Dolans, noone would want to play for them. They're like the Raiders of the NBA.

18. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

Mmm... exciting.