Careful Sports Fans You Could be the Next Seattle

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Shapecity, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>As an innocent first-grader in 1976, I returned home from school one day to get the devastating news that my dad's job was being transferred. My family was headed from the Pacific Northwest to the great unknown of some place called Tulsa, Okla.

As it turned out, Oklahoma would be only a blip on my childhood radar. We ended up spending just two years there before returning to the Seattle area, where I'd live for the rest of my school years.

During that brief stint in the Sooner State, I fell in love with a Heisman Trophy-winning running back named Billy Sims, who had every boy in my elementary school high-stepping on the playground. I quickly learned that fall Saturdays had only one purpose, and that I'd better start hating Texas if I wanted to fit in.

I've never seen a fan base with a stronger passion than Sooner football fans (and, yes, I lived for eight years in Red Sox and Yankee country). OU's Orange Bowl victory in 1979 prompted an impromptu block party in my neighborhood -- and there wasn't even a national title at stake.

During those Oklahoma years, I also attended my first NFL and NBA games -- even though Dad and I had to make the trek to Kansas City to catch the Chiefs at Arrowhead and the Kings at Kemper Arena.

I remember having one wish during those two years: I wanted Oklahoma to get a professional sports franchise.

On Wednesday, that wish was finally realized.

And when it was, I was left depressed and completely disillusioned about the state of being a sports fan in 2008.

I was boarding a cross-country flight from Newark, N.J., to Seattle when I got the news the Sonics had reached a buyout with the city. No other details were available, so I spent the five-hour flight wondering what the city could've possibly got in return for its firstborn -- the first pro team we ever had in the Emerald City, the first to win a championship and the squad with 41 proud years of history.

Whatever it was, I knew it wasn't nearly enough for our team.

When I finally landed at Sea-Tac, the first e-mail I opened was from a friend, passing along this comment from the ESPN.com conversation page on the Sonics' move:

"OKC is thrilled about the upcoming season and we have some of the best fans. We will treat the team better than Seattle ever could bc there is so much going on up there i.e. the NFL. Our first priority is Oklahoma football, but other than that there is not much going on[.] so the new team will flourish in every other month after the real season ends (Jan. through June)." -- nicroge

This is not a column to rip Oklahoma fans. The state has a true passion for sports -- one I've experienced firsthand -- and it probably deserves a team. I'm sure some guy from Stillwater or Broken Arrow or Enid is probably as excited about Kevin Durant right now as I was last June.

And, frankly, one of the saddest outcomes from this whole fiasco has been seeing the way the two cities have been pitted against each other -- the ugly exchanges on message boards as one side insults the other.

Despite all that, there's no way any sports fan can look at Wednesday's developments as anything but extremely sad … and extremely scary. (Even folks in Oklahoma City.)

The Sonics didn't leave Seattle because of a lack of fan support. The loyalists in this city have supported the club through the highs and lows that every franchise goes through -- and even some lows that very few franchises go through, like when a carpetbagging owner is deliberately trying to put an awful product on the floor.

The Sonics didn't leave because they never had success here (they won six division titles, reached the Finals three times and brought home the title in 1979).

The Sonics didn't leave because the city never gave them a modern arena. (Remember, the remodeled KeyArena just opened in the fall of 1995.)

The Sonics didn't leave because of apathy. The grassroots organization, Save Our Sonics (led by the indefatigable Brian Robinson and Steve Pyeatt), has never given up hope, even when hope was in extremely short supply. Less than three weeks ago, a crowd of more than 2,000 fans gathered in front of the federal courthouse to show that Seattleites weren't going to surrender the team without a fight.

In case you haven't figured it out, the Sonics left because of money.

They left because their arena is a small, intimate building with great sight lines that make it a fabulous place to watch an NBA game. But it's an arena, not a shopping mall.

They left because the state legislature decided not to give Clay Bennett a new $500 million building, which would've been the most expensive of its kind in the United States, when the Sonics owner refused to specify exactly how much money he'd be contributing to the project.

Mostly, they left because two cities were pitted against each other in a high-stakes game of chicken.

When Seattle's car finally careened off the road Wednesday, it wasn't a day to debate the passion of fans in Oklahoma … or compare it to the loyalty of the fans in Seattle.

It was a day for all sports fans to wonder if their city might be next.

At a celebratory news conference late Wednesday in Oklahoma City, Bennett let out a sigh of relief and uttered three simple words: "We made it." All that was missing was a "Mission Accomplished" banner hanging in the background.

As they watched him speak, I'm sure Oklahoma fans were already dreaming of new team colors, a new nickname and the possibilities of a Durant-led team someday winning big.

Back in Seattle, much of the talk had already turned to landing a replacement team for the Sonics, and David Stern had quickly laid out conditions for the league's return in the next five years. Because the NBA is unlikely to expand domestically anytime soon, that team would most likely need to come from somewhere else. Maybe Memphis, maybe New Orleans, maybe Charlotte. I have no interest in any part of this discussion.

Forgive me if I don't want to play this game again -- even from the other side. I've learned it's a game in which there are no winners.</div>
    Source: Page 2

2. tim

tim Respect JPJ

I remember when the MLB almost took my Twins away. It was due to the low budget style they had gone with and that it hadn't worked out for them. Seems to have worked out for them. 4 playoffs in the last 6 years.... not too bad.

3. bangofan13

bangofan13 JBB JustBBall Member

As a Milwaukee fan I have been trying to prepare for such a situation happening to my beloved Bucks.....

4. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

It's crazy how business takes over anything feelings fans or anyone else has for that franchise. It's all about business and on some levels, this is good for the NBA and horrible for Seattle and the NBA. It's a thin line between Business and Fan-hood.

5. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

After you've lost a team, do you really want to take someone else's team and make them feel they way that you felt? Of course not! Oh wait, I take that back because that's exactly what Oklahoma is doing right now.

6. tremaine

tremaine To Win, Be Like Fitz

writer, accountant & part time economist
    Nice article, thanks for it.

One way to stop franchise stealing, sponsored by the elitist, monopolistic gang that Stern and company are, is to have another League to compete with the NBA, which would force the NBA to give up its life of crime. Were there an ABA type League, Stern would change his tune and not allow franchise stealing, in order to avoid abandoned markets such as Seattle being taken over by a rival League.

The ABA years were the best basketball ever saw.

However, due to the much wider wealth and income disparities of today, most economists will tell you that there could not be a new ABA today, because the sports money needed to make a League work and prosper is already pretty much tied up in the NBA. There are only so many billionaires who want a basketball team to go around.

7. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

I, for some reason, get this eerie feeling that the Clippers are next. Not because of the fans or anything, but I think that one day someone will think it's time that the Clippers and the Lakers split up. I don't know, that may just be me.

8. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tremaine @ Jul 5 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nice article, thanks for it.

One way to stop franchise stealing, sponsored by the elitist, monopolistic gang that Stern and company are, is to have another League to compete with the NBA, which would force the NBA to give up its life of crime. Were there an ABA type League, Stern would change his tune and not allow franchise stealing, in order to avoid abandoned markets such as Seattle being taken over by a rival League.

The ABA years were the best basketball ever saw.

However, due to the much wider wealth and income disparities of today, most economists will tell you that there could not be a new ABA today, because the sports money needed to make a League work and prosper is already pretty much tied up in the NBA. There are only so many billionaires who want a basketball team to go around.</div>

Having 2 leagues is NOT the solution... it waters down the current content of basketball even more and lords knows we're just starting to see good basketball after all the expansion in the 90's. I mean there are ppl out there who think that the clutch and grab fest style defense of the 90's was good. Personally I hated much of that decade because it ment watching the highly untalented Knicks win a game 72-68.

The ABA years robbed us of seeing Dr. J in his prime to say the least.

thanks but not thanks to this idea.

9. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

The Devils literally had to win the Stanley Cup to avoid moving in 1995.

If Bruce Ratner's plans in Brooklyn do not come to fruition, I put the odds of the Nets moving from this area at over 50%.