RFA

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by danxcr, Jul 13, 2008.

1. danxcr

danxcr Active Member

hey why is there no big talks bout monte ellis, ben gordon, luol deng.... i mean they are all RFA but no teams wining and dining them? i kno josh smith went to philly for a dinner and visit of the city and now supposedly the clips want him and iggy...
    hmm no else is goin after monte? or ben? or luol? i think they are all solid players esp monte...

whats the deal?

2. Dark Defender

Dark Defender The Dark Passenger

Part-Time Intern, Full Time Student
    Not that many teams with cap space.

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    When a team signs a player to an offer sheet, the team that he currently plays for gets like 2 weeks to decide to match. During that time, there's a cap hold, so it could be something of a penalty.

And then there's always the current team likely to match the offer.

4. danxcr

danxcr Active Member

ya but still no buzz... i mean i woulda expected to see monte get an offer sheet... so what if GSW matches... its worth a try

5. pegs

pegs My future wife.

I wouldn't be surprised if RFA's were already offered contracts, but they haven't accepted any yet.

6. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

the Warriors have already stated they will match on Monte so why waste your time and effort reaching a deal with a guy that wont play for you?? Also, theres a good chance that none of these guys are willing to risk getting locked in today, when they could be unrestricted next year and go where they want....maybe they arent even seeking deals....

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danxcr @ Jul 13 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>ya but still no buzz... i mean i woulda expected to see monte get an offer sheet... so what if GSW matches... its worth a try</div>
    There are only a few teams with cap space- the Warriors have about 9 mils left (about 4 if they get Turiaf which seems likely), Clippers have about 14, no idea how much Memphis has but they aren't going to be giving any big contracts to anyone due to a sketchy ownership situation, Bobcats have some but they'll likely be most concerned with giving that to Okafor. Most of these teams don't want/need Monta Ellis and the Warriors already said they'd match any offer for him, hes the W's franchise player now. Monta figures to make 10-12 mils/year so if any team offers him that the Warriors will thank them, make them wait the one or two weeks to match just to fugg up their potential FA signings, then bring Monta back at a market value contract. The only team that can realistically offer him a really really big contract is the Clippers who need a PF and just drafted Ben Gordon, so Monta wouldn't be filling much of a need.

8. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Just nobody take Gomes away and I'll be happy [​IMG]