2009 Elite 11 Invitees

Discussion in 'College Football Recruiting' started by JCB, Jul 15, 2008.

1. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    This will be the 10th year of the Elite 11, which has developed into the premier quarterback event in the nation. The Elite 11 is a competition designed to give the best high school quarterbacks in the nation some top-level schooling by the best in the business.

Held in Southern California from July 21-24 this year, the Elite 11 will actually feature 12 of the best young high school quarterbacks competing amongst themselves and also receiving tutelage from top college counselors as well as the Elite 11 coaching staff.

The Elite 11 invitees are:

Matt Barkley of Santa Ana, CA - Southern Cal Commit (will not participate)
    Tajh Boyd of Hampton, VA - West Virginia Commit
    Richard Brehaut of Rancho Cucamonga, CA - UCLA Commit
    Allan Bridgford of Mission Viejo, CA - California Commit
    Raymond Cotton of Fort Meade, MD - Auburn Commit
    Garrett Gilbert of Austin, TX - Texas Commit
    Andrew Maxwell of Midland, MI - Michigan State Commit
    AJ McCarron of Mobile, AL - Alabama Commit
    Zach Mettenberger of Watkinsville, GA - UGA Commit
    Aaron Murray of Tampa, FL - UGA Commit
    Bryn Renner of Lorton, VA - UNC Commit
    Tom Savage of Springfield, PA - Rutgers Commit
    Eugene Smith of Miramar, FL - Undecided

Eugene Smith is the only uncommitted prospect of the invitees. In my opinion, the only two players that you could argue that don't deserve to be there are Cotton and Renner.

2. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

Why/How does Georgia have 2 of these guys? Dont they know only one of them can be the starter?

And now that Maxwell has offically been named, can I tell all my Michigan friends that they can suck a big one?

3. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Frame @ Jul 15 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why/How does Georgia have 2 of these guys? Dont they know only one of them can be the starter?

And now that Maxwell has offically been named, can I tell all my Michigan friends that they can suck a big one?</div>

Regarding the UGA situation, they've actually built up a good relationship and look forward to competing against each other. Murray is the better of the two right now, but Mettenberger has a ridiculous arm. It should be a fun battle to see who starts down the line. One will red-shirt (most likely Mettenberger) to create a year of separation between the two. It'll probably be similar to what LSU went through with JaMarcus Russell and Matt Flynn coming out of high school together. Flynn waited behind Russell for four years before taking over as a 5th year senior (where he led LSU to a National Championship, no less).

And yes, by all means, point and laugh at your Michigan friends. You're destroying them in state right now. Still, their class is pretty ridiculous, regardless.

4. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Supposedly, Matt Barkley has decided to skip the Elite 11 camp and has been replaced by Garrett Gilbert, who probably should have at least been named the first time around. I'm surprised he's participating though with his shoulder surgery earlier in the year. I hope he's not rushing back too soon.

5. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    Why did Barkley decide to skip?

6. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Here is ESPN's take on the event, with brief player bio's:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>ESPN RISE announced today the selections for The Elite 11 quarterback event. The event, celebrating its 10th anniversary, provides the nation's top high school quarterbacks with high-level instruction by the best in the business, making it the nation's premier quarterback camp for prep athletes. The Elite 11 will be held in Southern California July 21-24.

The high school quarterbacks were selected through an exhaustive evaluation process, which includes film research and in-person and telephone interviews. More than 1,000 quarterbacks are evaluated annually between ESPN RISE's NIKE Camp and EA SPORTS Elite 11 regional camps.</div>

7. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BasX @ Jul 15 2008, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why did Barkley decide to skip?</div>

I truthfully don't know. You could argue that he doesn't want to go because he doesn't feel he needs to be evaluated; he's already the clear-cut #1 QB in the nation right now, so he doesn't have anything to gain as far as being ranked or rated. And he doesn't need to prove anything to any colleges because he's been committed to USC for months now. But then again, every QB participating aside from Smith is committed as well. It's not entirely uncommon though; Jimmy Clausen opted out two years ago when he was considered the top QB in the nation. And I don't think Pryor participated last year, either.

I'm disappointed that he's not going though. This is a chance to learn from some of the best in the country and very few kids get this opportunity. I really don't think it's a smart thing to turn down. Plus, it's not like he has to travel across the nation. It's basically right in his back yard.

We'll probably learn more as to why he backed out later on in the week.

8. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    I'm hearing that Mater Dei's summer program is being held at the same time, and Matt has decided to work out with his team instead of attend the camp. Makes sense if true.

9. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    Ya if the latter is true. Then it makes sense

10. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Elite 11 Day One: Every's Top Six Performers | rivals.com

In alphabetical performers, the best performers at the camp on the first day were:

Richard Brehaut
    Allan Bridgford
    Andrew Maxwell
    Aaron Murray
    Tom Savage
    Eugene Smith

Garrett Gilbert is having trouble keeping up with the other prospects due to his shoulder surgery.

11. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
  12. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student