Josh Childress signs with Olympiakos

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by GMJ, Jul 21, 2008.

1. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>In a potentially stunning move that reflects the growing challenge Europe’s basketball leagues pose to the NBA, Atlanta Hawks free-agent forward Josh Childress is strongly considering a three-year, $20 million offer from Greek powerhouse Olympiakos, several league sources said Sunday night. Childress flew to Greece late Sunday and is scheduled to meet with Olympiakos officials on Monday. Childress, 25, is so flustered with the Hawks’ refusal to make a sign-and-trade deal to another team, one source familiar with his thinking believes there’s “better than a 50-50 chance” he’ll sign with Olympiakos. The team also will cover the Greek taxes for Childress, making the offer even more lucrative.</div>

Woj

I think we've all seen this coming. The strength of foreign currency and the improvement of competition overseas is starting to weigh more favorably than the luster and connotation of playing in the NBA. It didn't surprise me to see Nenad Krstic or Boki Nachbar consider going overseas for better situations (Boki did), I think we've reached a new threshold when young, talented American players are chosing to play their ball outside of our NBA.

2. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

It's sad to see happen as an American fan, but I don't blame the players.
    For those who won't be offered lucrative contracts in America, going to Europe is the best thing for them.

3. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Wow, this is disappointing. I don't like this type of thing at all. He's an NBA caliber player, with the potential to start on some teams.

Why go overseas? I can't see this actually happening.

4. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

I think he is doing it more for leverage than anything else. He doesnt want to play for Atlanta and they refuse to discuss S & T, so why not play overseas and make more money? If Atlanta doesn't give in he probably will sign with Olympiakos to spite the Hawks.

5. ToddMacCulloch11

ToddMacCulloch11 Who me?

Looks like it's offical now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3501488

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Former Atlanta Hawks swingman Josh Childress is leaving the NBA for Europe.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on its Web site that Childress, a restricted free agent, has signed a three-year contract with Olympiakos of Greece.

Yahoo.com reported on Monday that Childress, who averaged 11.8 points and 4.9 rebounds last season, had an offer on the table from Olympiakos for more than $20 million over three years. But Hawks general manager Rick Sund told the AJC on Monday that the four-year pro was just exploring his options.

The newspaper reported Monday the Hawks had a deal on the table worth nearly $36 million, with a first-year salary in excess of the mid-level exception of $5.6 million.</div>

6. DynastYWarrioR6

I hope this doesn't start a trend...

not that I blame the players

7. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

NBA teams will have to adjust. They can't keep treating these mid-level players like shit during contract negotiations, even if they're restricted free agents. They now have a legitimate alternative.

I'm happy for Childress though. I hope he's successful overseas.

8. DynastYWarrioR6

I love your avatar, Chutney. Very nice [​IMG]

9. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    http://sportstwo.com/NBA/Story/NBA/2678839

Report: Childress joins Greek team
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:35 AM

ATLANTA (Ticker) -- Josh Childress apparently would rather leave the NBA than continue negotiating a contract with the Atlanta Hawks.

A restricted free agent, Childress has spurned the Hawks by signing a three-year contract with Greek team Olympiakos, according to a report posted Wednesday by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"It's official, I just signed," Childress told the Journal-Constitution. "It was a situation where I didn't know what to expect coming in, coming over to Athens. But it's a great city and a great organization. They do whatever they can to make you feel at home."

Although the newspaper did not include financial terms of the deal, the report stated that Childress signed a contract far more lucrative than the five-year, $33 million offer he received from the Hawks.

The Hawks did not comment on the report when contacted via phone by PA SportsTicker.

Childress' defection is the latest and most surprising in a recent trend that has seen American players join foreign teams. Brandon Jennings, widely considered the top American high school player, signed with an Italian team last week rather than accepting a scholarship offer from the University of Arizona.

European teams have no salary cap, meaning clubs like Olympiakos can tender hefty contract offers to potential NBA free agents.

One of the NBA's best sixth men, the 25-year-old Childress had been in prolonged negotiations with the Hawks regarding a long-term contract extension.

But the Hawks, who also have been trying to re-sign restricted free agent forward Josh Smith, failed to provide an attractive offer to Childress, leaving the talented forward to turn his attention overseas.

Despite having the option to match contract offer sheets from other NBA teams, the Hawks do not have the ability to match offers from international clubs. According to the report, Childress can opt out of his contract with Olympiakos at the end of each season.

The 6-8 Childress has spent his entire four-year career with the Hawks, averaging 11.1 points and 5.6 rebounds in 285 games. He appeared in 76 games - all as a reserve - this past season and averaged 11.8 points and 4.9 rebounds.

10. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Wow. This is terrible. I'm so disappointed in the Hawks, and in Childress to an extent.

This better not ever happen to anyone on the Nets. Well, except Hassel and Swift. Screw them.

11. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>and in Childress to an extent.</div>

Why? He has no obligation to sign with the Hawks.

Sucks for Atlanta, especially if they lose Smith, too.

12. TucsonClip

TucsonClip Thursday Night in Tucson = Upset

Smart move by Childress, I wouldnt want to wait around for that mess of a management to get something figured out.

13. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Very interesting development. I'm actually liking the fact that Europe is more of a player for NBA FAs, makes things more interesting and makes the NBA have to step up their game to keep their players. Childress and Brandon Jennings are two major developments and could really change the way players view going to Europe- we could see a lot of guys heading to Europe here soon now that these two have broken down that wall.

I wonder how the contract is structured as well- anyone know if there are any player options?

14. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Joker @ Jul 23 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>and in Childress to an extent.</div>

Why? He has no obligation to sign with the Hawks.

Sucks for Atlanta, especially if they lose Smith, too.
    </div>

Because I wanted to see him play more, whether it's on the Hawks or some other team [​IMG]

15. TheKing99

TheKing99 New Member

He's getting paid a lot to play for one of the best teams in Greece. Smart decision for him. And also, if the Hawks really wanted him to come back, they would offered him more than this team. But since they didn't, he took the better offer and ran off to Greece.

16. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Damn this sucks. I really liked his game and I can't understand why Sund didn't try a bit harder. The guy is a legit scorer off the bench and he can start on some teams. I guess this means more money for Smith.

17. bangofan13

bangofan13 JBB JustBBall Member

You can blame the Hawks, the NBA, and Childress for this. Why Childress? He went over there for the money and that just shows that pro players just care about their bank accounts.

18. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bangofan13 @ Jul 23 2008, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You can blame the Hawks, the NBA, and Childress for this. Why Childress? He went over there for the money and that just shows that pro players just care about their bank accounts.</div>

I don't know if that's the conclusion I'd draw. Of course, he wants a good financial deal but I think there were other factors in his decision. He wants to play- he's stuck on the bench in ATL and they won't move him- but more than that it's about appreciation from his employer. That's the number 1 reason people leave their jobs. He was basically told to shut up and wait until they're done dealing with Smith. He mentioned how the Greek team make him feel welcome and showed that they wanted him. He also negotiated opt out deals at the end of each season which tells me he wants to come back to the NBA, just not to ATL.

19. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I don't fault Childress one bit. NBA players of his calibre only get a couple of opportunities to determine their pay rate for the next few years and he has every right to get as much as he can. The Hawks, in part to overly restrictive contract rules, have treated him like an afterthought during the entire negotiation process and that's bound to convince a player that the situation isn't right for him. You can say that he should want to play in the best league in the world, but both the NBA and NHL have arrogantly stuck by that sentiment for years and its started to bite them in the ass the past couple offseasons (and it'll probably get worse in the future).

20. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

Good for Childress. Who would pass up an opportunity like this?

Plus he can still opt out every year. It's perfect for him, and really sets a new trend for the NBA. David Stern better learn to adjust, or start getting used to losing good foreign AND American players to other leagues.