What about Marion to New Jersey?

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by DLee7283, Jul 22, 2008.

1. DLee7283

DLee7283 Bond, James Bond

student
    I use to be a member at Justbball.com before this site took it over and I hope I am not posting in the wrong place but I had an idea for a Marion trade and I wanted to get some feedback.

Since New Jersey has a big hole at SF talent wise I was thinking maybe Marion could fit that mold and form a new big three with Carter and Harris.

My hypothetical scenario would send Shawn Marion along with the contract to Mark Blount to the New Jersey Nets for Bobby Simmons, Stromile Swift, Sean Williams,Trenton Hassell, the Nets first round pick they recieved from the Warriors in the Marcus Williams trade along with the contract of the retired Keith Van Horn.

Firstoff for Miami they keep their cap flexible and deepen their bench since Marion isnt in their longterm plans.Every contract Miami gets back expires next season and i think their is a player option on Williams. Here is the possible lineup that Miami could run.

C-Sean Williams/Stromile Swift/Stephane Lasse
    PF-Michael Beasley/Udonis Haslem(Until Beez gets the ropes)
    SF-James Jones/Bobby Simmons
    SG-Dwayne Wade/Daequan Cook/Trenton Hassell
    PG-Marcus Banks/Mario Chalmers

For New Jersey it seems like it gives them a more balanced linup

C-Brook Lopez/Josh Boone/Mark Blount
    PF-Yi Jianlian/Josh Boone
    SF-Shawn Marion/Eduardo Najera/Ryan Anderson
    SG-Vince Carter/Jarvis Hayes/Chris Douglas Roberts
    PG-Devin Harris/Keyon Dooling

Thoughts?

2. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

whenever making a trade idea.. always flip the script.

If the Nets has Shawn Marion.. would you trade him for Bobby Simmons, Stromile Swift, Sean Williams,Trenton Hassell, A first round pick from the Warriors (Lottery Protected) along with the contract of the retired Keith Van Horn.

yeaaah me neither.

If I had Wade, Beasley and Marion.. I'd want to keep all 3.. but that could just be me, but I somehow doubt it.

3. DLee7283

student
    I think the main reason that Miami does this is that Sean Williams has the potential to be a beast. Miami is razor thin at the 5 right now unless you want to stick Haslem there and see him get abused. As for the rest in the trade I think they all could fit in with what Miami is wanting to do. They inked James Jones but is he capable of logging 30 minutes a nite and being productive. He is a great shooter but he is no Glen Rice when it comes to putting up major points with major minutes. I think Simmons is a horrible fit in New Jersey starting, but coming off the bench with the Heat you have to admit he could be productive like he was for the Clippers some years back. I also like Trenton Hassell on the Heat, he has been bounced around but he would be a great defensive stopper in the mold of a Keith Askins, a guy that doesnt get major PT but can come and defend in certain defensive matchups

4. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

The Nets are getting hosed in that deal, and it doesn't fit what the team is trying to do.

We're trying to clear cap space to sign a big name SF, not luck ourselves up in someone else. I don't know how many years are left on Blout's contract, but we're still not looking to take in more bloated salaries. I wouldn't trade Sean and those first rounders; one or the other.

5. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    It's an idea, but Sean Williams cannot play the 5. He's only 6'8", if that. He does have the potential to be a beast, but it's not going to be at center. Reports are that some people in the Nets organization even think his best NBA position could possibly be the 3.

6. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

If I was the GM of the Heat and Marion wasn't in my plans, I'd definetly have to consider getting back a player with the potental like Sean Williams back with cap relief. I'd ask for the Nets' first rounder not the Warriors' though.

Plus, if Shawn Marion was a Net with a contract more than two years, that hurts their chances at going after LeBron.

7. DLee7283

student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jul 22 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The Nets are getting hosed in that deal, and it doesn't fit what the team is trying to do.

We're trying to clear cap space to sign a big name SF, not luck ourselves up in someone else. I don't know how many years are left on Blout's contract, but we're still not looking to take in more bloated salaries. I wouldn't trade Sean and those first rounders; one or the other.</div>

Well Marion comes off the books at the end of the year so it really isnt a risk for New Jersey. I cant see how a New Jersey fan would dislike this deal, Marion,Carter and Harris would be good marketing when it comes time for Brooklyn.

Also Blount's contract is basically the name size as Van Horns and Hassell's so its not like you taking on some center who ill be on the books forever (Jerome James, cough,cough)

8. DLee7283

student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 22 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's an idea, but Sean Williams cannot play the 5. He's only 6'8", if that. He does have the potential to be a beast, but it's not going to be at center. Reports are that some people in the Nets organization even think his best NBA position could possibly be the 3.</div>

I feel ya on that one, but Williams is like a Ben Wallace where he is comfortable playing the 5 despite his size, he has shot blocking ability and toughness. Something the Heat dont have since Shaq Daddy left.

I just dont see who is realistically going to play the 5 right now for Miami. I dont see Haslem as someone who can play it in longspurts and be productive night in and out.

9. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Williams can't play Center

10. DLee7283

student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (#1_War_Poet_ForLife @ Jul 22 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Williams can't play Center</div>

Alright since most people are in the same boat with Williams not being able to play center what about Josh Boone?

11. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

This is a great trade for the Nets. They lose Sean Williams for a chance at the playoffs this year. But with Boone and Lopez, not sure Sean would get much rub on the court.

-Petey

12. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

Yes please, take him!

13. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

He can play center, but he needs to bulk up and build stamina. But Boone has less potential than Williams.

14. Preludepunk27

Preludepunk27 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 22 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's an idea, but Sean Williams cannot play the 5. He's only 6'8", if that. He does have the potential to be a beast, but it's not going to be at center. Reports are that some people in the Nets organization even think his best NBA position could possibly be the 3.</div>

He's actually 6'10" but who is counting. But you were right he can't play the 5.

15. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Preludepunk27 @ Jul 30 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 22 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's an idea, but Sean Williams cannot play the 5. He's only 6'8", if that. He does have the potential to be a beast, but it's not going to be at center. Reports are that some people in the Nets organization even think his best NBA position could possibly be the 3.</div>

He's actually 6'10" but who is counting. But you were right he can't play the 5.
    </div>

Sean Williams is listed at 6'10", but it's been pretty well documented that he's only 6'8"

16. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Welcome to s2, Preludepunk!

To go along with Jigga - I can confirm, as a Nets fan, that Sean Williams is not 6'10, and actually is around 6'8.