Donaghy receives 15 months despite cooperation

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by CelticKing, Jul 29, 2008.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Donaghy receives 15 months despite cooperation

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy was sentenced to 15 months in prison Tuesday for setting off a gambling scandal that tarnished the reputation of the league and raised questions about the integrity of its officiating.

The sentencing in Brooklyn federal court culminated a case that hung over the league throughout the season and even into the NBA finals between the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers. League commissioner David Stern angrily denied Donaghy's claim that corruption among referees goes beyond him.

Donaghy's lawyer asked the judge for probation. Donaghy had faced up to 33 months in prison, but the judge gave him credit for his cooperation.

Folding his arms but showing no other emotion, the 41-year-old Donaghy apologized to the court. "I brought shame on myself and my family," he said.

Donaghy pleaded guilty last August to conspiracy to engage in wire fraud and transmitting betting information through interstate commerce for taking payoffs from a professional gambler for inside tips on games.

Last week, two of Donaghy's former high school classmates were sentenced to over a year in prison for their roles in the scheme.

James Battista, a professional gambler and admitted drug addict, got 15 months in prison for making bets based on inside tips. Thomas Martino, the scheme's middleman, was sentenced to a year and one day for paying the referee thousands of dollars for the tips. The three men attended school together in Springfield, Pa.

The league had demanded nearly $1.4 million in restitution. But the judge last week set the restitution at $217,266, to be paid jointly by the three defendants.
    </div>

2. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

I read that Donaghy is now considering several offers to fix games in Europe.

3. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Jul 29 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I read that Donaghy is now considering several offers to fix games in Europe.</div>

The Euro is stronger....what was he thinking messing with the NBA

4. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Jul 29 2008, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I read that Donaghy is now considering several offers to fix games in Europe.</div>

Nice. [​IMG]

The Sicilian Mafia has an opening for a crooked ref.