Reno D-League Team To Be Called The Bighorns

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by tim, Jul 31, 2008.

1. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Link

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The NBA Development League’s Reno team, which is set to begin play in 2008-09, today announced it would be known as the Bighorns. Team owner David Kahn and Chief Operating Officer Tony Funderburg were on hand for the announcement of the name and unveiling of both primary and secondary logos for the Bighorns. The announcement took place at Reno’s Rancho San Rafael Regional Park in coordination with the Northern Nevada Chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters.

Named for Nevada’s state animal, the team’s logo consists of the bust of a bighorn sheep, with massive curled horns, gazing into the distance. “Reno Bighorns” is emblazoned below that image. The logo colors of blue, green, tan and white were chosen to reflect the colors of the Lake Tahoe area.

“The name Bighorns was by far the No. 1 choice of our fans and, we think, is a name that is synonymous with the region,” said Kahn. “We’re thrilled to represent such a vibrant and diverse community and provide affordable entertainment for all walks of life. The Bighorns will have big action – but little prices for tickets.”

The team also announced that it will donate 250 hours of service to Big Brothers Big Sisters and a cash donation for the 2008-09 season. Pat Fling, President/CEO of the Northern Nevada chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters, was on hand for the joint announcement. Through the relationship, the Bighorns will work with Big Brothers Big Sisters to enrich the Reno/Tahoe community through their service.

“I am delighted that the new NBA D-League Reno team is partnering with Big Brothers Big Sisters,” said Fling. “This will help us as we are changing the way children grow up in Northern Nevada. They have been great to work with and we appreciate their interest in supporting Big Brothers Big Sisters.”</div>

2. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

Las Vegas Gamblers would've been better...

Why Reno?

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Pretty interesting city to put a D-League team in. Possibly a small scale experiment for how a team would fare in Las Vegas? Anyway if I'm a D-League player I think Reno would be a cool city to stay in. 180,000 people so its decent sized plus there's all kinds of stuff to do with the gambling, tourist attractions, Lake Tahoe, etc. Seems like they could be pretty successful if the team really integrates itself into the culture there. They could find a way to market themselves as a tourist attraction to all the people visiting Lake Tahoe/Reno (where everyone in California goes to snowboard/ski).

Also kind of random that the Knicks are one of their affiliates. Sacramento makes sense since its very close but the Knicks are all the way across the country. BTW I was talking about this with VC a month ago but does anyone else tihnk they should add another round (or two) onto the NBA draft? With the D-League growing I think it would help the D-League and the NBA to change the roster setup where NBA teams can have a few guys just to stash in the D-League who don't count toward their rosters. This set up allows for teams to not have "projects" sitting on the end of their bench for a few years taking up roster spots where a veteran could be. Throw a 3rd (maybe even 4th?) round on to the draft and let the teams really give these guys time to grow in the D-League. Only problem would be Europe picking off some of those guys drafted in round 3 who would rather try their luck overseas and make more money. I guess I don't have it thought out that well but it seems like the D-League is an afterthought right now and a lot of teams don't use it at all. I think they should really focus on getting teams used to the idea of having a minor league affiliate and getting these D-League teams to be more successful and later on hopefully they'll be able to compete with European salaries for all those good undrafted college players.

4. redneck

redneck BBW Elite Member

Reno is a nice city. plus you have a bunch of other midsized towns such as Carson City, Truckee, and Tahoe near by.

5. ToddMacCulloch11

ToddMacCulloch11 Who me?

Better sounding then The Thunder