Martian soil may contain detrimental substance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Denny Crane, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080804/D92BO4A00.html

Martian soil may contain detrimental substance
    Aug 4, 6:23 PM (ET)

By ALICIA CHANG

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Scientists say the Phoenix spacecraft has found a substance in the Martian soil that might be detrimental to possible life.

If confirmed, it could mean the soil may not be as friendly as once thought.

Scientists previously reported that the soil where Phoenix landed in May was Earth-like, containing nutrients such as magnesium, sodium and chloride.

The latest lab tests show the presence of an oxidizing substance.

NASA is investigating whether the substance could have gotten there by contamination.

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Horrible news if you were hoping for some indicator of life on Mars. Even worse if you thought Mars might have a lot of natural resources (like soil to grow plants in) to help us colonize it.

FWIW, I'm tempted to write a novel about our first trip to Mars. In the story, we'd send 6 people there, 3 would die horribly on the way there, the others would suffer once they landed, and they'd die off one by one as well.

3. soul driver

soul driver Member

bummer news, if it's true. I'm one of those people who feel there has to be life elsewhere.

4. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Horrible news if you were hoping for some indicator of life on Mars. Even worse if you thought Mars might have a lot of natural resources (like soil to grow plants in) to help us colonize it.

FWIW, I'm tempted to write a novel about our first trip to Mars. In the story, we'd send 6 people there, 3 would die horribly on the way there, the others would suffer once they landed, and they'd die off one by one as well.</div>

i'd read it. you should throw in some martian lesbian scenes too... just a thought...