Ben Gordon: I've played my last game with the Bulls

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AlleyOop, Aug 16, 2008.

1. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The slow, drawn-out negotiations between Ben Gordon and the Chicago Bulls took a turn toward closure Friday night when the free-agent guard said he doesn't think he'll be a Bull next season.

Ben Gordon
    Shooting Guard
    Chicago Bulls

2008 Season Stats GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    72 18.6 3.1 3.0 .434 .908
    "I guess it's safe to say I've played my last game in a Bulls uniform," Gordon said.

Gordon, who has led the Bulls in scoring the past three seasons, said his agent, Raymond Brothers, has been speaking with other teams about sign-and-trade possibilities.

"I'm pretty optimistic it'll happen," said Gordon, who averaged 18.6 points last season. "It's very likely."

Brothers refused to name the teams he's spoken with, but added playing in Europe is also a possibility. He said the only certainty is Gordon will not sign the Bulls' one-year qualifying offer of $6.4 million.

Bulls Executive VP John Paxson did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Gordon admitted he's frustrated and "feels slighted" by the slow pace of negotiations with the Bulls. He said at this point it would be best for him to play elsewhere since Chicago's backcourt is seemingly full, with Derrick Rose, Larry Hughes and Kirk Hinrich.

"It's a numbers game," he said. "Last season at the trade deadline, they brought in more guards and I saw my minutes drop and didn't understand why. This year, the problem's still the same. I don't see it getting better, so maybe it'll be a better situation for me personally somewhere else."

Chicago offered Gordon a five-year, $50 million contract last season, but he turned it down. This summer, reports have surfaced saying Gordon believes he should be the Bulls' highest-paid player since he's their leading scorer. Chicago recently signed Luol Deng to a six-year, $71 million deal.

"I've just got to wait and see what happens," Gordon said. "It's a tough time."

Gordon spoke at the "Bowling Bash and Celebrity Fundraiser" thrown by his New Life Foundation in Yonkers, N.Y. The event was seeking to raise money for the sports department at Mount Vernon High School, Gordon's alma mater. The school, which has a vaunted basketball program that's produced several NBA players, is in danger of losing its winter and spring sports teams.

Philadelphia 76ers forward Elton Brand, Charlotte Bobcats forward Emeka Okafor, UConn coach Jim Calhoun, rappers Irv Gotti and Heavy D and former world boxing champion Iran Barkley were among the celebrities in attendance.</div>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3537868

I don't really think he fits on this team, per say, but it's known that Chicago is trying to move him, so he may come cheaper than usual given the circumstances. Especially if GS could make the trade happen for Harrington + filler, although we all know Chicago already has Nocioni/Deng/Gooden/Thomas, so they don't need another tweener Forward.

But Gordon can get crazy hot and his offensive firepower fits perfect with Nellie, especially given that he shot 41% from three last year, he's perfect to spread the floor, and he also gets to the rack and shoots over 90% from the line.

I wouldn't want to make him the focal point of the team, obviously, the way he wants to be in Chicago. But if we could snatch him up on the cheap, I'd rather have him on the bench as a 6th man than have Harrington on the bench as a 6th man. Especially if he could help ease the burden at PG at times.

If for some reason Chicago would take, say, Harrington + Bellinelli, would you do it? Or Harrington + Marcus Williams (if that were possible)? We already have Randolph/Wright/Hendrix/Beans/Turiaf/Perovic(?) at the big-man positions, and we all know that's plenty given the fact that sometimes in Nellie's system Jax or Mags will slide over to PF as well.

I've just never been a big fan of Harrington so I'm trying to humor trades that we could swap him off for. He's making $9.2 mils this year, which is quite a lot if he ends up getting lost in the rotation (if Hendrix/Randolph and Wright earn PT the way I hope they will). Although a sign-n-trade for Gordon means Gordon will be coming over with a $10 mils contract himself. So, that might be a bit excessive, especially if GS wants to make a bigger splash move in 2009-2010. Gordon at $10 mils could be a trade-able asset come 2010 if he plays well, though. and it would sure be fun to watch this:

Monta
    Gordon
    Jax
    Randolph
    Beans

or

Monta
    Gordon
    Mags
    Jax
    Beans

But I guess it's not the best fit and it might be a gamble if he doesn't produce. Still, he has really torched the scoreboard at times and can drain it from three, which Nellie loves. I guess I'm just posting this for fun, to pass the time and since this board has been so inactive. Got any other trade ideas?

2. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlleyOop @ Aug 16 2008, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The slow, drawn-out negotiations between Ben Gordon and the Chicago Bulls took a turn toward closure Friday night when the free-agent guard said he doesn't think he'll be a Bull next season.

Ben Gordon
    Shooting Guard
    Chicago Bulls

2008 Season Stats GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    72 18.6 3.1 3.0 .434 .908
    "I guess it's safe to say I've played my last game in a Bulls uniform," Gordon said.

Gordon, who has led the Bulls in scoring the past three seasons, said his agent, Raymond Brothers, has been speaking with other teams about sign-and-trade possibilities.

"I'm pretty optimistic it'll happen," said Gordon, who averaged 18.6 points last season. "It's very likely."

Brothers refused to name the teams he's spoken with, but added playing in Europe is also a possibility. He said the only certainty is Gordon will not sign the Bulls' one-year qualifying offer of $6.4 million.

Bulls Executive VP John Paxson did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Gordon admitted he's frustrated and "feels slighted" by the slow pace of negotiations with the Bulls. He said at this point it would be best for him to play elsewhere since Chicago's backcourt is seemingly full, with Derrick Rose, Larry Hughes and Kirk Hinrich.

"It's a numbers game," he said. "Last season at the trade deadline, they brought in more guards and I saw my minutes drop and didn't understand why. This year, the problem's still the same. I don't see it getting better, so maybe it'll be a better situation for me personally somewhere else."

Chicago offered Gordon a five-year, $50 million contract last season, but he turned it down. This summer, reports have surfaced saying Gordon believes he should be the Bulls' highest-paid player since he's their leading scorer. Chicago recently signed Luol Deng to a six-year, $71 million deal.

"I've just got to wait and see what happens," Gordon said. "It's a tough time."

Gordon spoke at the "Bowling Bash and Celebrity Fundraiser" thrown by his New Life Foundation in Yonkers, N.Y. The event was seeking to raise money for the sports department at Mount Vernon High School, Gordon's alma mater. The school, which has a vaunted basketball program that's produced several NBA players, is in danger of losing its winter and spring sports teams.

Philadelphia 76ers forward Elton Brand, Charlotte Bobcats forward Emeka Okafor, UConn coach Jim Calhoun, rappers Irv Gotti and Heavy D and former world boxing champion Iran Barkley were among the celebrities in attendance.</div>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3537868

I don't really think he fits on this team, per say, but it's known that Chicago is trying to move him, so he may come cheaper than usual given the circumstances. Especially if GS could make the trade happen for Harrington + filler, although we all know Chicago already has Nocioni/Deng/Gooden/Thomas, so they don't need another tweener Forward.

But Gordon can get crazy hot and his offensive firepower fits perfect with Nellie, especially given that he shot 41% from three last year, he's perfect to spread the floor, and he also gets to the rack and shoots over 90% from the line.

I wouldn't want to make him the focal point of the team, obviously, the way he wants to be in Chicago. But if we could snatch him up on the cheap, I'd rather have him on the bench as a 6th man than have Harrington on the bench as a 6th man. Especially if he could help ease the burden at PG at times.

If for some reason Chicago would take, say, Harrington + Bellinelli, would you do it? Or Harrington + Marcus Williams (if that were possible)? We already have Randolph/Wright/Hendrix/Beans/Turiaf/Perovic(?) at the big-man positions, and we all know that's plenty given the fact that sometimes in Nellie's system Jax or Mags will slide over to PF as well.

I've just never been a big fan of Harrington so I'm trying to humor trades that we could swap him off for. He's making $9.2 mils this year, which is quite a lot if he ends up getting lost in the rotation (if Hendrix/Randolph and Wright earn PT the way I hope they will). Although a sign-n-trade for Gordon means Gordon will be coming over with a $10 mils contract himself. So, that might be a bit excessive, especially if GS wants to make a bigger splash move in 2009-2010. Gordon at $10 mils could be a trade-able asset come 2010 if he plays well, though. and it would sure be fun to watch this:

Monta
    Gordon
    Jax
    Randolph
    Beans

or

Monta
    Gordon
    Mags
    Jax
    Beans

But I guess it's not the best fit and it might be a gamble if he doesn't produce. Still, he has really torched the scoreboard at times and can drain it from three, which Nellie loves. I guess I'm just posting this for fun, to pass the time and since this board has been so inactive. Got any other trade ideas?
    </div>

I don't know about adding Gordon. I am not really sold on a Ellis/Gordon backcourt. I don't know if either is a point guard. I also do not want to see Jackson or Maggette as the PF. I think Gordon wants to be a starter too, which is a good thing. But I just don't think he would fit here.

3. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

Gordon isn't a bad player. But he is kind of undersized. We have Monta already. What I dislike about him is his attitude. He's too selfish. A pouter.

Btw, I'm glad they moved back to VB. Though I dislike how the quick reply box works. Makes no sense.

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    It does make sense, with how vB3 works. Many of us use the flat-view mode thread display. There's 2 other modes that you can select (and others may prefer it) that are "threaded" - the posts are sorted by who replied to which post.

If the quick reply is enabled without you selecting which post you're replying to, you screw up the users who want to use the threaded view.

At the top of a thread, there's a dropdown menu titled "Display Modes" - try choosing some of the options and see how it works.

5. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I like Ben Gordon (he'd replicate Monta Ellis very well off the bench), but I'd rather have Captain Kirk Hinrich/Delonte West if we're choosing a smaller player to share the court with Ellis as a starter. We need some strong defensive presence and a guy who can make plays. I would trust Hinrich/West to provide more of what Ellis lacks (experience at point and tough defense).

I love the change back to VBulletin, although quick reply will probably need to come along soon before I can get used to it. Like is there some way to get the form from the "post reply" button and use the form for IPboard quick reply?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  6. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I didn't know they had that option. Make sense now.

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I'd definitely stay away from Ben Gordon. He wants as much or more than what Deng got (which was more than what Monta got). Like others said it doesn't make sense form a basketball standpoint either because Monta + Gordon leaves a lot to be desired in the way of passing, ball handling, defense, size. Hes a great scorer but not a player we need at all. Especially not at the price hes demanding.

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I wouldn't be surprised if Ben Gordon ends up playing overseas for a season. Unfortunately for him and his agent the free agent money has dried up and the only team with significant cap space is Memphis.

Gordon and his agent priced themselves out of the market and I don't think teams are going to overpay to acquire him.

That being said, I think the Warriors system would be a great fit for Gordon. The issue would be whether or not Ellis could evolve into a starting point guard and the Warriors could get away with an Ellis-Gordon backcourt.

The Warriors already spent big money this offseason re-signing Ellis, Beans, and Buike, plus the additions of Turiaf and Maggette.

Trading Al Harrington for Gordon would be a nice move, but if the Bulls aren't willing to pay Gordon why would they want to pay for Harrington?

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Because they just don't want to pay Gordon.

Harrington makes about what the Bulls have offered Gordon, and his contract expires after next season.

The Bulls are deep at the G position, but have a frontcourt of Gooden and Deng and not much else.

10. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I don't think the Bulls want to pay anyone that type of money unless they'd be part of the future core group.

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    They're already paying Larry Hughes more money than Harrington makes, and I don't think they even care if he's on the team.

Thing is, Harrington and Hughes' ~$23M+ would come off the books in time for 2010 Lebron sweepstakes, and in plenty of time to make room to pay Rose.

12. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I'm down for trading Harrington (and Belinelli for the right deal), but I don't see how you can ship out Harrington without getting a legit PF in return. Wright is not ready to carry that load by himself just yet.