Monta working out with boxing coach to improve game

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Dark Defender, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Dark Defender

Dark Defender The Dark Passenger

Part-Time Intern, Full Time Student
  2. Legacy

Legacy Beast

He's also gained strength.

3. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Hopefully the weight doesn't make him lose a step. Good news though, very good news.

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

If it's the right kind of weight, like the trainer says it is, it will actually help him gain a step -- he still has super low body fat % which apparently means he's added muscle mass, and at 6'3", his weight of 185 pounds is spot on. It's easy to forget that he's 6'3" because he seems to play like a tiny lightning bolt, but the extra pounds of muscle should only make him more explosive. Remember, Baron Davis is the same exact height, but he's 30 pounds heavier at 215. He was 40 pounds heavier last season (when Monta was 175) ! Yet, BD could still shake and bake no problem. I think the extra muscle will only make Monta a more dynamic player, if that's possible!

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

My impression from reading the article is that Ellis was already playing at 185 lbs. last season. I remember drafting him and he weighed 160-165 and hes noticeably stronger than when he was a rookie. I actually doubt he even wants to bulk up much more. IMO one of his strengths that goes way under the radar is his strength. You have to be strong to finish with contact. Ellis constantly puts up excellent shots through contact. I mean whne do you even see him overpowered? Rarely if ever. Just because hes not ripped like Kelenna or Maggette doesn't mean he isn't very, very strong for his size (like Jax).

Good to see him staying hungry though. Gotta love the work ethic of a guy like Ellis after having Baron, Murphy, Foyle, etc. who all talked a lot about how they were getting better during the off season but came into the season in terrible shape and even crappier than the season before.

6. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

It seems like in the nba tall + skinny + athletic also equals laterally quick. It probably doesn't equate to good balance under physical contact, but Ellis seemed to do okay... offensively that is. I guess everyone can't be like Ron Artest. We're talking the 240 lb+ 6'7 guys that cover the angles, guard almost any position, and they don't move much when getting bumped. Bruce Bowen pretty much does the same job on perimeter players at less weight, but covering less positions. Maybe Ellis at 190 lbs could be like a Kirk Hinrich or Gary Payton defender some day. Not much weight, but can defend very well. It is also about effort too and experience. It is possible for Ellis to become tops. I mean Lebron didn't play much defense because of conserving energy for offense, but look at him now. Jeez. The guy is a stalwart defender. Forget Josh Smith's defense, Lebron's already got it.

7. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Honestly, defense is more about effort than smarts. It just turns out playing D expends a lot of energy. That's why I never play it when I'm on the court :D

Or rebound. Forget rebounding, that's how you get hurt!

8. tim

tim Respect JPJ

If he works like that every offseason from here on out, doing various and effective workouts, he's going to be a big, big star in this league.

9. Custodianrules2

Yeah me neither, bro. Defense takes the legs out from under you. All the shots go short despite feeling like the shot is dead on. It's like the Dunleavy syndrome. Excellent release, feels like good lift, but short... and then when you adjust, it goes off back iron. goddamit! Oh well at least my stuff doesn't go left or right, it's usually straight on when wide open. Then rebounding... uggg. When going for position, I got nailed in the face with an elbow which took out my nose and another time I came down on somebody's foot and sprained my ankle. After that I was like forget it. Rebounding is for those that get paid to play the sport. Older I get the softer I get haha. If medical care was free, I'd go in and hurt myself all the time in the name of the sport.

I also agree with Run that Ellis a complete stud when it comes to physical contact or off balance shots. The guy gets hurt in a scary way yet he's still fearless and creative. If I got knocked out or suffered a spine crank or concussion or a Danny Fortson-induced wrist drive, I'm not playing the same way mentally or physically. In fact, I'm getting revenge on the guy that got me hurt whether it was an accident or not and regardless whose fault it was.

Sorry, I didn't mean to trip you (yes I did). ;) And if your keys and cell phone are missing they're in the garbage and I blamed it on some other pick-up player. Just kidding! Just kidding!

10. AlleyOop

He he -- my two favorite things to do on the court. :)

It sounds like you're kind of joking around, but I still have to disagree with you just in case!

Good defense does not take the legs out of your jumper. Rather, it fuels the bio-rhythms that facilitate good shooting.

Good defense leads to good offense. The best way to get your inner flame burning brighter is to lock in on defense and play as though you've promised your teammates you won't let them down. When all five guys do that together, the adrenaline begins to flow. Players become inspired. Players are reminded of their passion. Players come into the moment.

Sincere defense is the quickest and surest portal into the "zone." And the zone--being here in the moment--is a place where shots just seem to fall in by themselves.

11. Custodianrules2

No way, defense tires me out. The picks, the post defense, hedging over on screens, I'd rather save my legs for my broken jumpshot.

12. AlleyOop

lol

13. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I'd like to see Ellis bulk up a skosh for strength and durability; The right kind of bulk, of course. He's still a bit light for someone 6' 3". Something in the 190s would be good for him.

To give you a comparison:
    Chris Paul 6' 0" 188 lbs
    Deron Williams 6' 3" 205 lbs
    Jason Kidd 6' 4" 210 lbs
    Kirk Hinrich 6' 3" 197 lbs

14. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

Everything sounds good. I think no matter what he does, he'll always look skinny as hell though.

And Kensaku is right, defense is mostly about effort. Monta has the ability to be at least an average defender, and maybe an above average one, but it depends on his mindset.