Is this the year Jackson becomes a headache

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by WarriorFan, Aug 23, 2008.

1. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

Apparently Jackson wants a new contract and won't be happy if the season starts and his pay isn't increased.

I can't get the link to open but he's quoted in the Contra Costa Times saying "It's something I always think about. It's definitely something that has to be addressed because of what I do for this team and what I've done since I've been here, bringing this team from one of the bottom teams in the league to a playoff team, to a team that won 49 games. It's not what I want, it's what I deserve. I won't be comfortable going into next season knowing I have to play this whole season being the fifth highest paid player and not get an extension. I would not be happy".

Jax has definately been on of the most valuable Warrior's, probably the most valuable in my opinion, but will he still be effective if he's unhappy about his contract. His biggest asset is his work ethic on D and if he's not motivated his play could drastically decline. Jax has been on his best behavior since he's been here and I hope it continues becuase I don't think the W's can afford to pay him any more right now.

2. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Source

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I hope he doesn't become a headcase, I love the player and I always thought he was underpaid because of all the things he can do and does for this team. He's had very good behavior and I can understand why he's feeling slighted on this team. Harrington's salary and what Warriors paid Foyle is more than what Sjax makes? C'mon.

I say pay the guy until Randolph comes along. But then again I don't know Jax from an employer's standpoint. If Baron can go that easily, then so can Sjax. It's a question of who is going to be the face of this franchise for years to come. Sjax might be a risk. He's no Grant Hill or Shane Battier when it comes to team leader/super role players.

If Belinelli can do his best Sjax impression that would be a good fallback option for the Warriors in terms of shooting skill. But I worry about the defense. Mags + Belinelli or Azubuike would be a rough pill to swallow. This team has no defensive leaders.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Oh jeez. This is part of the reason why I didn't like giving that contract to Maggette- we over paid him while we've been stingy as hell with everyone else. Now we've set a precedent that we have to keep if we want our own players happy. Jackson is a better player than Maggette, I think we can agree on that, so he'll probably want more than Maggette.

As for Jack, I've never even heard of a player getting an extension two years before their contract is up. Is there an option of some kind for the last year on his contract? I bet hes going to want more than Mags. This is a really awkward situation because we clearly won't want to pay him that much, hes 30 right now so he'll be 32 by the time the contract he has now ends. I mean why would we want to give him a big contract that goes well into his 30s? I love Jack and I'd like to see him get paid but its not our fault he signed the contract he did the last time he was a FA. While I love his all around game and passion I just don't know if I'd be willing to give him a long term deal, wonder how Mullin feels about it and I wonder what Jackson's reaction would be.

5. Custodianrules2

I know... this sucks. We also have to consider his age even though he's been really loyal and he helped turned this once-awful franchise around with his all-around skill and clutchness. Maybe, it's better to trade him or make him a bench guy playing 82 games a season. Old stack Jack making 7 mil a year playing 20 minutes a game ought to be fair price considering his role.

Can't we just give this guy stock options? I mean we have to pay him a fair salary now of all things!?

6. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Like Run said, he will be 32 years old by then. There is no way I would want to sign a 32 year old for over 10 million a year unless they are still a superstar. Maybe we just let him walk and use the money for a younger player with the same defensive intensity. Maybe someone like Danny Granger? Anyone know when his contract will expire?

And CR2 is right about Belinelli. He could replace Jackson as a shooter, IMO, I think he will do better as a shooter than Jack did. We just need someone who could be a defensive force and maybe even a vocal leader if Monta doesn't turn out to be one and instead turns out to be a lead by example leader. Maybe Beans could be our defensive leader? He is soft spoken for now, but when he gets a little older, he could bring some more passion to players like Wright or Randolph.

If we let Jackson and Harrington both walk, we will have a lot of money to use and I hope we use it on younger players.

7. Run BJM

Screw Belinelli- Randolph is the future at SF. Hell he could be ready to start in two years when Jax's current contract expires. He's capable of replacing the ball handling and passing, size, defense, etc. that Jackson brings and then some. Like I said, I love Jack, I just don't think its the right thing to do to give him that much money when hes as old as he is. We've got Randolph, Beli, Azu, this Morrow kid seems solid, Monta can and will play some SG. Mags is locked up for 5 years. As much as I want to keep him on the team I think that we shouldn't pay him big money.

You guys think trading Jack is an option? I don't know if we'd be able to get equal value back. Plus if we're not willing to pay Jack then why would other teams want to trade for him and extend him?

8. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

If GS could trade Jax to a contender he'd be happy, I think. He knows what being on a championship team is like, and if he were to go back to the Spurs, for example, I think he'd probably not be as concerned with restructuring his contract.

I think S-Jax is the leader of this team, and it's an alpha male thing -- suddenly his little brother Monta is getting a fat deal, and other "less important" players like Mags and Turiaf are getting market deals, and Jax probably just now feels like he needs to be respected as the leader by his teammates and his organization. If he were on the Spurs, it would be different because Duncan and Parker would be the unquestioned leaders.

I like Jax on this team and I think if he were to go, this team would suddenly lack leadership in the locker-room. Can't put a price on that. But would Jax really throw a fit if GS didn't cave in to his ridiculous request? I mean, he can't honestly expect them to restructure the deal. Still, I totally feel he is underpaid, I mean Harrington is half the player Jax is and makes more money.

I just think because of the way the league works now with ridiculous contracts and pesky agents, players do WAY too much whining, with Spreewell talking about how he has to feed his kids and what not. I'm sick of players saying they "demand" a trade -- who said the ball was in their court anyway? They signed the deal for millions, and now it's their obligation to play the friggin game. It's a joke.

But if the Warriors were to go into the season as is, and if Jax starts complaining and being a pain in the ass, that will suck. Remember, he owes the Warriors, too. GS took him out of that sketchy situation in Indy, gave him a fresh start in Oakland, and gave him heavy minutes and the green light to do whatever he wanted on the court. For how good of a "character turnaround" story he has been, it will all be washed away if he starts moping and cursing about his contract.

Besides -- what are the logistics, anyway? Would the league even let GS restructure his deal? How does that work? Shoot, if they can do that, they better restructure Harrington down to 3 mils a year, lol.

Hopefully, Mullin finds a way to smooth it over and compensate to make Jax feel like he's gotten the respect he deserves, in part to save face as the leader in front of his teammates.

Otherwise, what?

9. Run BJM

This should be a big part of negotiations IMO. I think Jax is grateful for the Warriors and doesn't want to screw up his situation because he just started to turn his image around and hes beloved in GS. Not only did we take him when Indy couldn't give him away for free, he wouldn't even be considered under paid if it weren't for Nellie and Nellie's system. Jackson would not put up the numbers he does on any other team in the entire league. Who else would let him shoot that much at only 40% FGs (thats what he shot last season). He averaged 20/4/4 on 40% FGs but on most teams hes probably averaging what 14-16 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg? Hes getting paid fairly considering his career numbers but since he came here hes been allowed to do more and make himself more valuable. No one else would even consider paying him more than 8 mils. Fair is fair and I'd like to pay him but its a business. How about we make him test the market when hes a 32 y/o FA? He'd probably only get half of what hes trying to command right now.

10. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

Couldn't Jackson be giving a Big Title instead of a new contract? Maybe something like The big number 1 super duper captain. Seriusly I don'tthink that the NBA allows restructuring of NBA deals. If anything the only option is an extension, that being said if Jackson only wants a 2 year extension that is reasonable then i said do it. Maybe he just wants some security. But if Jackson wants enough money to make him the highest paid player on the team, then forget it. One thing for sure is that the Warriors need to make a call before training camp starts if they decide to keep him with an extension do it quick. If they don't think that he's worth it then trade him. The one think that the Mullin shouldn't be stupid enough to do is to do neither and hope that Jackson plays his contract out. I for one am not willing to take that risk, I rather start the rebuilding process asap. Eventhough I would love the Warriors to be in the playoff mix I really love the young talent the Warriors FINALLY have in the roster and would rather have the young kids play meaningful minutes that sit on the bench.

11. Custodianrules2

I think Legacy is right we need to give Belinelli a chance to see how he could fill Sjax's role (shooter, passer, ballhandler, floor leader). He wasn't even that physically strong his first year and now he's stronger. That could have a huge effect in how he plays the game especially going inside.

Wright is also going to start some day but maybe more at small forward or power forward. Belinelli is a shooting guard, Mags is a small forward, Jax is probably a small forward based on his quickness right now. Monta Ellis at shooting guard is ... not what we paid him all that money for. I mean I suppose if we run screens for a midrange shot, Ellis is the man for that role, but why can't we use him at point to do that and have Mags or Sjax set up plays for him that way?

12. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

FWIW, I heard an interview on KNBR with Jax the other morning and he was very positive about the whole season. Said he thought that management had made the team both better and deeper in the offseason, said Beans and Monta would be stars and probably already were in his mind, and that while losing Baron definitely created a leadership vacuum, he was really looking forward to using that opportunity to step up and fill the vacuum. Of course you can never tell for sure, but he sounded sincere to me and not down at all.

13. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

I'm sure he still loves the team and its players, there's no doubt about that. He just feels unfairly paid, and I can see it. However, it's just not in the Warriors best interests to extend him (if it's even possible). He's getting old and his leaving would be perfect for the rookies (Randolph, Bel) to get their chance to prove themselves.

He has 2 years left right? I say keep him for a year, have his (hopefully) positive influence mentor the rookies, and then trade him as an expiring contract for a good role player/veteran. If he's lucky, that team will be a contender.

14. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  15. Custodianrules2

I know which non-franchise player I want in 2010: Joe Johnson and I like Rip Hamilton

16. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Well, maybe we can get a head start on our youth movement by packaging Jax and Harrington?

It'd suck to lose Jax though. I agree with others that he's underpaid. Despite the Warriors saving his career, that's all irrelevant during negotiations when it just boils down to what he does for organization, not what the organization has done for him. Let's say you put out your resume on a job board and you get hired by your dream company that accentuates all your skills and talents, allows you to grow, and you make that company $, would you want to give something back to that company just because they hired you? No, you'd want that company to give you what you're worth.

This is just business as usual in the NBA. If the Warriors can somehow fit in Jax into the future without him becoming a fiscal liability, then I would be all for it. It just doesn't seem like he fits into the Warriors long-term goals.

I agree though that the Maggette deal might end up haunting us sooner rather than later. I can't be the judge of that until I see Maggette play a full season on the Warriors.

17. Run BJM

I generally agree but at the same time Jax's contract right now is about market value to every other team in the NBA. Hes better here and therefore produces like a player who should make more. At the same time though we could just say "go ahead and hit the FA market and we'll match" and we'd get him for a fraction of the price that he wants.

18. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

True, but then we're back to the same issue of him becoming a head case. I'm not on Jackson's side here at all. Yet, if Mullin doesn't smooth this over and "coddle" Jax a bit, it might end up hurting GS. Jax is the man in the locker-room and he's also the comic relief at times. He's funny and likable and and he eases the tension of the club atmosphere, IMO. He's probably the main reason why they were able to play so free-wheeling and easy during their PO run.

So, we don't want to lose that. He's under contract for two more years. If he starts complaining or being a Ron Artest / Stephon Marbury head case in the locker-room, that will be REAL bad, especially considering we have a bunch of young guys who need a good impression. Maggette is an awesome role model in the weight room, but Jackson will be the one to set the tone. We need him happy. He needs to feel like he's the man here.

Otherwise, if it's not possible to make him happy, I don't want an unhappy SJax around here for two years. He's too sensitive and on the edge. I'd rather give him to the Spurs and let him go for another ring, even if we don't get back a great deal in the trade. That might be best for both parties.

But let's hope there's a way for Mully to make Jax feel like he's appreciated -- as long as it doesn't involve a 5-year extension for 55 mils lol...

19. Run BJM

I see your points but has Jack ever been a headcase in the locker room anywhere he's been? His off-court issues are well documented as well as his emotional playing, arguing with refs, the Malice at the Pallace, etc. but I can't remember him ever being a problem chemistry-wise in the locker room. Popovic swears by him, Duncan says hes the best teammate hes ever had, I just read an article a week or so ago where Sarunas Jasikevicius basically rips on the NBA and everyone involved and then tells the reporter to make sure to write that Stephen Jackson was his best NBA teammate and maybe the best teammate hes ever had. IIRC Donnie Walsh also said how he loved Jack and really didn't want him to go but he had to because the fans didn't like the off-court issues. He was unhappy in Indy with the restraints Carlisle put on him but still played and was apparently a good locker room presence.

I can't see him doing anything too egregious right now especially because hes so concerned with turning his image around. I also think he genuinely loves the GS fans and doesn't want to screw up his relationship with the fans, who adore him. I really want Jack to be a GS Warrior for the rest of his career but at the same time our situation and his situation just aren't a match. We're in semi-rebuild mode and just got done with an off-season of dropping hundreds of million on several players.

I think right now hes just letting it be known that he wants more money. Like you said he is clearly the alpha leader on the team now (behind Nellie). Monta will probably grow to be more of a leader now but not as much as Jack, at least not next year. Andris was made a captain mid-way through last season according to Nellie so he'll lead a little bit too. I don't think Jack will cause any trouble but it might be a mutual agreement by he and the Warriors to trade him to a team that will contend and/or pay him. If we did trade him I would want it to be to a contender and I'd always be a Jack fan.

20. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

New Jersey