Thread: NBA Injury vs. Salary Cap Rules

+ Reply to Thread
  1. TOP #1
    HiRez is developing a reputation HiRez's Avatar Overlord

Default NBA Injury vs. Salary Cap Rules

Question: If they determine Monta will be out for the entire year, is there any provision whereby a team can get some cap relief to sign a replacement? It really seems unfair because a freak accident like that can totally derail your season. I know it's happened to other teams as well (Brand & Clips), but now it's hitting home and it sucks. I think if a team has to shelve a player for an entire season, they should be allowed some emergency cap space to sign or trade for a replacement, which would require that player to remain ineligible to play the entire year. I'm not saying Monta will be out the whole year, but it seems like it could be a real possibility as it's a rather serious injury. Then again, all the players are pretty much signed at this point so it'd have to be by trade.

2. TOP #2
    cpawfan is developing a reputation Monsters do exist

Default Re: NBA Injury vs. Salary Cap Rules

From Coon's NBA CBA FAQ

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (if the player is disabled between July 1 and November 30) or the following season (if the player is disabled after November 30). This exception can also be granted in the event of a player's death. This exception can only be used to acquire one player. The maximum salary for the replacement player is 50% of the injured player's salary, or the average salary, whichever is less (see question number 24 for the definition of "average salary"). Approval from the league (based on a determination by an NBA-designated physician) is required for this exception to be used. This exception can be used to sign a free agent, or to create room to accept a salary in trade. When used for trade, the team may acquire a player whose salary (including any trade bonus) is up to 100% of this exception plus $100,000 (not 125%). Also see question number 20 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

If a player is disabled between July 1 and November 30, the team must acquire the replacement player within 45 days. If the player is disabled between December 1 and June 30, then the team has until October 1 to sign a replacement. If the disabled player comes back sooner than expected, then he may be activated immediately, and the replacement player is not affected. However, if the disabled player comes back before the exception is used, then the exception is lost.

Teams sometimes have had difficulty getting the NBA to approve an injury exception. For example, Danny Manning tore an ACL toward the end of the 1997-98 season, yet the NBA did not approve the Suns for this exception. More recently, the Magic did not receive this exception in 2003 for Grant Hill. However, this exception was granted in the 1999 offseason to San Antonio, so they could replace Sean Elliott, who was disabled due to kidney problems. This exception was also granted to Charlotte soon after Bobby Phills was killed.

Don't confuse this exception with the salary cap relief teams can apply for a year after losing a player to a career-ending injury or death (see question number 53). This exception allows a team to acquire a replacement player. The salary cap relief removes a contract from the books.
    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#19

3. TOP #3
    Run BJM is becoming well known Run BJM is becoming well known Run BJM is becoming well known Run BJM is becoming well known Run BJM's Avatar Heavy lies the crown.

Sounds like we wouldn't be eligible for one since Monta isn't out the whole year and recent history shows the NBA isn't going to give them out too easily.
    "I'd let Hollinger do my taxes, but I wouldn't let him run my basketball team." - Adam Lauridsen, SJ Mercury News

4. TOP #4
    HiRez is developing a reputation HiRez's Avatar Overlord

Thanks for the info, cpawfan, but yeah, sounds like it might be difficult to get as BJM says, and if Monta IS out for the year, we probably won't know that for a couple months.

5. TOP #5
    Kwan1031 is developing a reputation Kwan1031's Avatar JBB JustBBall Member

Injury exception is usually very hard to acquire. Even if there is 95% chance that a player would miss a season, NBA would not grant it. So, for case like Monta, there is no chance for an exception. Also, I may be wrong. But, if we gets an exception, we will probably have to pay luxury tax, because exception amount probably will count in addition to Monta's contract. We are not paying luxury tax, so the exception becomes useless...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information