NBA Injury vs. Salary Cap Rules

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by HiRez, Aug 31, 2008.

1. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Question: If they determine Monta will be out for the entire year, is there any provision whereby a team can get some cap relief to sign a replacement? It really seems unfair because a freak accident like that can totally derail your season. I know it's happened to other teams as well (Brand & Clips), but now it's hitting home and it sucks. I think if a team has to shelve a player for an entire season, they should be allowed some emergency cap space to sign or trade for a replacement, which would require that player to remain ineligible to play the entire year. I'm not saying Monta will be out the whole year, but it seems like it could be a real possibility as it's a rather serious injury. Then again, all the players are pretty much signed at this point so it'd have to be by trade.

2. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

From Coon's NBA CBA FAQ

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#19

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Sounds like we wouldn't be eligible for one since Monta isn't out the whole year and recent history shows the NBA isn't going to give them out too easily.

4. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Thanks for the info, cpawfan, but yeah, sounds like it might be difficult to get as BJM says, and if Monta IS out for the year, we probably won't know that for a couple months.

5. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Injury exception is usually very hard to acquire. Even if there is 95% chance that a player would miss a season, NBA would not grant it. So, for case like Monta, there is no chance for an exception. Also, I may be wrong. But, if we gets an exception, we will probably have to pay luxury tax, because exception amount probably will count in addition to Monta's contract. We are not paying luxury tax, so the exception becomes useless...