Jamaal Tinsley?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AlleyOop, Sep 4, 2008.

1. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Just throwing it out there -- I've already humored this before, but hey, if Mullin is willing to look at Livingston, he might as well be considering a look at Tinsley. Tinsley's contract is very modest for a starting PG -- his contract is for three more years at 6.7 mils/7.2 mils/7.5 mils for a total of 21 mils. That's not bad for a PG who over his career has averaged 10.4 pts, 7.0 asts and 1.7 steals.

Of course, the other side is what's his attitude like. Is he still clubbin' and getting into bar fights and getting busted for guns and pot? There must be a reason why Indy is trying so hard to get rid of him. So much that they're willing to buy out the last 3 years of his deal if they can't make a trade (http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2008/09/tinsleys_still.html

But apparently, he's in shape and still working out in Atlanta, and he's only 30, so, while not young, he'll be good for those three years.

I don't know. If Monta was okay I wouldn't want to do it. I'd be more concerned with team chemistry. But right now, GS needs a PG bad and I wouldn't be surprised if Mullin was considering a trade, maybe for Harrington?

2. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

He can't make it through an entire season. He'd be a decent fit until Monta returns, but three years of him is two years too many.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I dunno if he'd be much of an upgrade over Marcus Williams. They're both big, strong, heavy PGs with crappy FG%'s. Pretty good passers, good handle, etc. Neither are huge difference makers. I think Marcus Williams is the much better 3 pt shooter though and seems like more of an open court type PG, not to mention hes got way more potential.

If Tinsley were bought out I wouldn't be against picking him up off the scrap pile for a minimum contract. Earlier in the offseason it sounded like a buyout was inevitable with the Pacers acquiring TJ Ford and Jarret Jack.

4. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

What I saw on RealGM is that they are trying to make a trade with the centerpieces from Indiana being Tinsley and Daniels, while from the Golden State side, it would be for Harrington...

Thoughts?

5. Run BJM

I'd hit it for the sake of dumping Harrington and getting back productive players. Daniels has one year left then a team option for the following year. Tinsley has 3 years left at a high salary though... That could be a deal breaker. Hes a decent player but a mess off the court and we already have Marcus Williams who is similar.

Our 1-3 positions would be loaded though with Monta, Marcus Williams, Tinsley, Jackson, Maggette, Azubuike, Daniels, Belinelli, Randolph. Plus Watson and Morrow but I dunno if they'd make the team. Beans up front as always but at PF I guess we'd run with Wright? Hendrix? Randolph? Would Turiaf move to PF?

6. DynastYWarrioR6

Well you'd add a good SF in Daniels, plus it's not like he has a long contract left....Tinsley though is a little tricky, for the short term, he is a great fill for the Monta hole, but he still has a huge contract...

At PF, look to see Turiaf come in more if Al is gone. Other than that, you guys have a lot of skinny forwards lol

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'd say don't do the trade for Tinsley. He's been hurt so much, he's just not worth the trade. I think we are fine with either Williams or CJ Watson at starter. Both guys can get in the lane. Both can shoot decently and distribute the ball. The question is which player can take better shot selections and play defense. I'm almost leaning towards Watson although Williams is the supposedly better prospect. I would start CJ Watson since he knows the team better. Let Williams work his way up and prove he can take better shots and lead the team like a pro.

I like Marquis Daniels, but I think we are overloaded with swingmen. Plus, it's more favorable to have a swingman that can shoot the 3 ball. I think Sjax pretty much does everything better than Marquis Daniels including defense. And then for secondary defenders, it would be Kelenna Azubuike who I think might be just as good on defense (especially on Kobe). It might be nice to have a tall point guard, but I think Belinelli could cover that role as well. It's kind of hard for Daniels to get playing time because some of our players already have his abilities like 1.) ability to play point or distribute the ball 2.) ability to play shooting guard or small forward 3.) mid-range marksmen 4.) on-ball defense

If we're going to dump Harrington let's at least get a player that can really help us or trade Harrington for some picks/cash. I bet there's some championship team that wants a strong utility player that can alternate between 3 positions. That's pretty useful to any team. A guy that's pretty skilled, has distance shooting, has a strong motor, doesn't complain, and can put up points is an asset. I think the only reason we don't feel he fits is because we still get killed on the glass, we could use better defense on larger matchups, and we have problems scoring inside and moving the ball around. Harrington isn't very good matching up with bigger or same size opponents, he's got some problems scoring inside and catching the ball cleanly, he doesn't rebound particularly well or consistently, he sometimes has brain farts in terms of fundamentals, and he doesn't pass much.

But overall I like Harrington's usefulness as a key utility guy. He's just not the power forward most of us fans envision. It'd be nice to have a real power forward who plays in between a center and a wing forward. Ideally the guy would play defense and rebound like most starting centers, but has some skills like ballhandling and shooting like a forward.

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Here's another name Ben Gordon via sign and trade?

He brings scoring and clutch shooting, plus the Warriors might be able to land him for a reasonable price since Gordon hasn't attracted much attention this offseason. The Bulls might bite on a Harrington + fillers deal for him?

9. Custodianrules2

I think we need a playmaker, but... that's not a bad idea. If we're presumed to go small, he'd be a nice addition at shooting guard. Plus, it would actually force Nelson to use a real power forward since our closest power forward eligible small forward is Anthony Randolph. But then again, we've seen Sjax, Barnes, Pietrus used at power forward before... Dang... Okay... Well the benefit is that we do get a 4th quarter player who can take big shots. Those guys are an asset.

10. Shapecity

Gordon would fit the small ball system and I think he's capable of co-existing alongside Ellis if/when he returns. Gordon has the mid-range game and can & shoot ability the Warriors need on offense. Defensively, the team is going to struggle with a small backcourt, but their team speed presents mismatches for the opposition to deal with.

I don't think they should bring Tinsley under any circumstances. He still has baggage and a toxic contract, plus he hasn't been able to stay healthy himself.

I also think CJ Watson can be a capable playmaker for the Warriors or possibly Belinelli. He had another solid summer league and showed some good chemistry with Brandon Wright.

11. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think Gordon can come here. The reason he didn't sign with Bulls is because he wanted Deng's contract. We can't give that type of contract (other than voiding Monta's contract), and we really shouldn't in any circumstance. Also, as far as I know, by signing Gordon with a monster contract, he becomes a first year BYC. We don't have a caproom or trade exception to absorb the difference.

For Tinsley, I wouldn't want him for several reasons. First, despite Tinsley's sizable contract, Indiana simply gave up on him. Not only they traded O'Neal for Ford, they also swapped 9th pick and Diogu to get Jack and 12th pick. If we have to give up anything, we should give up longer contract to take away Tinsley from Indiana, not giving up shorter contract like Harrington. Second, Harrington still is useful. Granted he is not a perfect fit with Nelson. But, our PF position is still shaky, and I would not mind seeing Harrington and his outside jumper for 25 minutes. Also, his contract is shorter, he is more valuable in the market, and it becomes an expiring contract next year. Even if we let him stay, we may have some caproom in 2010 when both Jackson and Harrington's contracts expire. Third, 2009 season is done. I thought we won't challenge for Playoff before Monta's injury. Now that Monta is injured for good amount of time, I think we are done for the season. No question that Tinsley will help this season more than Watson. But, going from 8th to 13th pick isn't the help that I am looking for...

12. Shapecity

I wouldn't write the season off before we've even seen a game yet. The Warriors still have enough talent to make the playoffs, and anything can happen once you get there. Look at the Rockets last season, they lost Yao Ming and put together one of the longest win streaks in NBA history. If the Warriors mesh and play with confidence they could run a lot of teams out of the gym next season with or without Ellis.

I don't expect Denver to be back in the playoffs and I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas is on the outside this year either with a new head coach and a team clearly on the decline.

Warriors have the opportunity to replace either of those teams and hit the 50 win total.

They've improved their depth and I think it's a safe assumption to believe the young guys will be more productive next season.

13. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Even with a healthy Ellis, this team would've fallen apart. Jack is gonna turn into a chucker. Ellis would try too hard, and when doubled and pressed turn into a turnover machine. The youth are not even close to ready. And there's no character leaders left on this team. I honestly believe that the Warriors are going to end up in the bottom tier in the NBA (not just the west) this season. Is it the loss of Baron only, no. It's a timing thing. I hope that I'm wrong, but I just can't see this team succeeding. With or without someone like Tinsley. So I say throw the season away, and get a top pick. Maybe with a healthy Ellis and a budding star, we can make a playoff push the next season.

14. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Forget Jamaal Tinsley. The guy had his best run when he first came into the league.

15. DynastYWarrioR6

You guys ever consider signing Livingston?

Granted I realize that he is coming off a huge injury, but I think he's capable to be somewhat solid. I mean you could probably get him for cheap, wouldn't have to get rid of anyone, and he'd be an okay backup to Monta when he gets back.

I personally think, a trade to clear some of the small forwards and guards to get a backup PG and another big man, who isn't skinny.

16. Run BJM

Mullin and co. went to a private workout with him in Chicago like two days after Ellis' injury (though it was scheduled long before Ellis was injured). Nothing has come of that so either the W's have no interest or Livingston is still weighing his options. It makes sense for both parties- GS needs more depth at PG plus Livingston fits with Monta down the line. Livingston wants somewhere with minutes to spare at PG and preferably somewhere where he can maximize his talents and showcase his skills.

I think we're fine up front assuming we're in development mode. Beans and Al are starting but wright could boot Al out of the starting lineup at some point plus we added some bulky bigs this offseason in Turiaf and Hendrix.

BTW rumor has it that Perovic and the Warriors are negotiating a buyout which means we'll have another roster spot to play around with.

17. Kaz

Kaz Member

it would be a DECENT trade not the best but simply decent, and Larry bird is a Racist he wants an all white player team lol, i rather get livinston

18. Custodianrules2

I agree with Kwan: I wouldn't mind sticking with Harrington for a while because of his abilities. Plus, CH is right, without Ellis' efficiency and Baron's leadership, this team may be a mess with just young guys running around. I hope we get a veteran or something to contribute something steady.

Does anyone think we can pry Nick Collison away from the Oklahoma City Thunder? I would also look at getting Kirk Hinrich if he can be had. Anybody from Kansas that plays D, has fundamentals, and can play either PF/C or PG/SG is cool in my book.

With the exception of Paul Pierce, of course. :) He's always cool.

19. Custodianrules2

I think that's just Indiana for you.