ESPN Top 190 Fantasy NBA Rankings

Discussion in 'NBA Media' started by Shapecity, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Top 10

1. Lebron James
    2. Chris Paul
    3. Kobe Bryant
    4. Amare Stoudemire
    5. Dwayne Wade
    6. Steve Nash
    7. Dirk Nowitzki
    8. Josh Smith
    9. Kevin Garnett
    10. Shawn Marion

See the rest .. ESPN.com

2. Dumpy

Dumpy Yi-ha!!

The trick is to devise your fantasy league with non-traditional categories and rules, so that canned rankings have little meaning.

3. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

i always pick iverson every year, and hes never ranked in the nop 10. come december people who drafted Wade, Nowitzki, and Nash all want to trade for him.

4. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Iverson? Really? I would NEVER touch him in fantasy basketball. Sure, he gets you points and assists...but he also commits way too many TOs, doesn't hit treys, can't rebound, shoots a low FG%, isn't always reliable from the FT line...yea....I would never take him, no thanks.

5. Answer_AI03

All good players who have the ball in their hands a lot commit turnovers at a high rate. (maybe not chris paul) AI also gets 2 steals, hits about 1.2 3pt a game, and shot 46%, and 80% from the line. Where did you get your stats from?

6. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Have you looked at his career stats? He shoots 42.8% from the floor in his career. I was slightly off with the FT%, I'll give you that much, but as far as shooting, he's only had 4 seasons where he shot above 42% and until last year, his career low in TOPG 3.05, with him averaging as many as 4.59 back in the 04-05 season. And as for the 3PTs, he makes 1.2 per game sure, but his 3PT% is awful - only 31.4% in his career.

7. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

Right, and that is why they dont make good fantasy players.

Another trick with fantasy ball is to know when to NOT play somebody. There are a lot of amazing fantasy players who I will refuse to play in the second game of a back to back. Also depending on who will be guarding one of my fantasy players I may choose to bench them. There is really a lot that goes into it, it isn't just about the points and assist categories, the percentage categories (fg% ft%) are just as important.

8. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

Here's my tip, mass draft quality big men.

They get you rebounds, blocks, FG%, and if you are lucky with your big men (meaning you draft the scoring big men) you also get points.
    And depending on how they block it, they also get the steal for it if they block it then take it.

9. Answer_AI03

so a guy that gets 4 turnovers a game even though he gets 30 pts, 8 rbs, 8assts, 2 stls, and a block per game isnt a good fantasy player?

10. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Well, if they're putting up 30/8/8/2, the 4 TOs is tolerable. But since Iverson turns it over a shit load, doesn't rebound, and up until these last couple seasons, didn't shoot a higher percentage, I'd say he's not a good overall fantasy player.

11. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

Never play Camby in a back to back. At best you'll get 60% of his production.

12. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

I feel like this list has a lack of common sense. They seem to have just taken the average of the four voters and made a list. But is Jason Kidd really a more valuable fantasy player than Michael Redd, Tmac, or Tony Parker!? Not IMO.

13. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I would venture to say JKidd is a better fantasy player than at least Mike Redd. Redd gives you points and 3s, that's it. Kidd, on the other hand, is a multi-faceted fantasy player - he can give you points, gives you assists, and maybe most importantly is that he gives you rebounds at the PG position. Plus he shoots a solid % from the line and hits treys at a decent clip.

14. Answer_AI03

I think Jason Kidd is overrated at this stage in his career. especially in Dallas. Who knows maybe he'll have another triple double type year, doubt it though.

15. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

He may be overrated, but he's still productive. In the realms of fantasy basketball, his 11pts/9asts/7rbds is solid, as was his 38% from the arc and 82% from the line. And honestly, I think he'll be better this year. Avery Johnson really had a lot of restrictions on him last year and never really let him play to his strengths. He made him play a slower and more methodical game as opposed to letting him get out and run. With Carlisle in there this year, I don't think that'll happen, and I think we could see a near triple double type season once again out of Jason Kidd.

16. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I try to draft players in the final year of their contracts. Money is the ultimate stat motivator for NBA players.