What kind of reception should Baron Davis expect?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Petey, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

I've seen a mix of reactions for former Nets. What type do you expect for Baron this upcoming season?

-Petey

2. xplicitjc

xplicitjc cold as a hooker's heart

a sprewell/webber type reception is what i'm gonna give him...he doesn't deserve a richardsonish welcome

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Most of my GS fan friends hate him but I have no problem with him. We refused to offer him anything remotely close to a legit long term contract offer, so he went somewhere that did offer him one. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO.

I won't boo him but I won't cheer him. It'll probably be mixed but mostly boos.

4. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I'll boo him endearingly. Yeah, I don't have a problem that he left, but the way he left left me a bit bitter. He went against his word, but I don't blame him.

5. xplicitjc

xplicitjc cold as a hooker's heart

he said the whole time that he was going to remain a warrior, regardless. he waited up until after the draft, and to the absolute last second to notify anybody that he was going to leave. we could have gone into the draft knowing that we were going to need to replace baron, but he gave us absolutely no notice. it's like quitting a job without putting in your two weeks...after how much love the GS fans have showed baron over the past few years, he owed us a little more. i don't blame him for leaving, but he went out shady!!!

6. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Yep -- also, GS could have and probably would have used their $10 mils trade exception during draft day if they had known Baron was leaving. It seems obvious he and his agent did that intentionally to hurt the Warriors, as they were to be his new adversaries in the Pacific Division.

7. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

IMO its better that we didn't use the Te because I don't think it would have brought anything very useful back. You could say that we used it on Maggette which, despite its criticism, is a signing that probably would be better than anything someone would have traded to us.

8. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

Could maybe have gotten an expiring contract and a pick, or some kind of consideration... so some other team could go after a FA. I think that is better than letting a TE expire. But I'm also not the guy writing the checks.

-Petey

9. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

If we used TE for an expiring contract and a pick, we would not have a caproom to sign this offseason's FAs, because that expiring contract would take caproom space. Yeah, you can debate whether signing Maggette and Turiaf were good or not. But we weren't going to use TE whether we knew Davis would leave or not because of luxury tax problem.

For Davis, I won't boo him. Actually, I am close to cheer for him, because we weren't going to give what he got from Clippers. It wasn't a clean break up, but Davis showed what's the winning club looked like after long 14 years, so...

10. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Not the JRich cheers or the Dunleavy boos. He'll get a mixed reaction.

11. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

I'm sure he'll enjoy whatever he gets when he is sitting on the bench in fancy clothes with one of his many injuries.

12. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I think I would cheer him. Ultimately he did a lot for this franchise, helping to remove the albatross of 13 years of losing and being the laughingstock of the NBA. I'm angry with him for how he decided to leave and I think he's very flawed and probably even overrated as a player, but this franchise is in a much better place after Baron Davis than it was before him.

13. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I think it'll be mixed. He's not as popular as Jrich, although he's probably more respected as a psuedo-franchise player. It's a love hate / relationship all the way with Baron. We love the fact he's so fiery and passionate. We love the fact he's got a killer instinct, he ain't afraid of pressure or the bad outcome, he just wants to win. We love the fact he's got all the exceptional qualities that you want in your star point guard aside from good shooting ability and injuries and forgetting that he's supposed to run the team not call his own plays.

We hate the fact, he shoots way too much for a point guard and he's no Steve Nash when it comes to the 3 ball or the foul line or cutting down on the overdribble. With those kinds of %'s we'd rather have Jason Kidd if he's going to make others better. We hate the fact he's not really in shape that much, he gets hurt quite a bit, and he's got a typical star ego which can derail any gain in momentum. We hate the fact he seems more about playing for money than anything else because he missed so much work, how many sick days was that? He probably owes the Hornets quite a deal of money. We were lucky we got the most out of him during his stay here. Oh and everyone remembers he did something undisciplined that caused Nelly to sit him down that one game. Nelly probably didn't want to embarass him any further by saying.

I'll bet Jrich's number goes up in the rafters first, despite how Baron rocked in the only playoffs we'd had in recent memory. Baron was fantastic but Jrich was the heart of this team. He was like the only reason I'd bother to watch games. He wasn't typical of most athletes. He was a showman and pure fun to watch. If we put Jrich and Brandon Roy on the same team, I wouldn't complain about Jrich's poor handles so much as a shooting guard. :)