Toronto fc: Dichio likely to start, ruis likely to miss houston game

Discussion in 'Americas' started by shookem, Sep 27, 2008.

1. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

LARRY MILLSON

Toronto FC forward Danny Dichio is expected to be in the starting lineup today against defending Major League Soccer champion Houston Dynamo.

But another forward, Carlos Ruiz, is expected to miss the game with a knee injury. Ruiz had a magnetic resonance imaging exam on Tuesday. TFC head coach John Carver said the results showed nothing serious but he won't play Ruiz until the knee is 100 per cent.

Dichio has been used mostly as a substitute since his return from a concussion suffered in a game on July 1.

Carver is suspended for today's game because of his ejection from last week's 2-0 loss at the Kansas City Wizards.

Carver says he isn't sure why he was sent off by referee Baldomero Toledo. He said he did not utter a word. He did, however, clap his hands after Toledo awarded the Wizards a penalty kick.

"It's the first time in my life I've been sent off for clapping," Carver said. "I've been sent off for dangerous tackles, and various other things, but never for clapping my hands."

He might feel better if he knew that TFC fans chanted "Holy Toledo" during one of the referee's assignments in Toronto last year.

For today, TFC will have to rely on others to help its playoff drive. Not only does Toronto pretty much have to win its five remaining matches to reach the playoffs, but a lot of teams must keep losing as well.
    Globe and Mail