Penguins 5 Maple Leafs 4 | Late collapse spells defeat for Leaf

Discussion in 'EAST: Metropolitan Division' started by shookem, Sep 27, 2008.

1. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

'There's a mentality that I'm going to have to crack here,' says Wilson after Pittsburgh's comeback win

Kevin McGran
    Sports Reporter

For a moment, Ron Wilson sounded just like Paul Maurice.

Of course, the new Maple Leafs coach had just witnessed the same kind of third-period meltdown – where one-goal advantages turn into one-goal losses – that ultimately cost Maurice his job.

A pair of late, third-period goals by Kris Letang and Matt Cooke led the Sidney Crosby-fortified Penguins to a come-from-behind, 5-4 exhibition win over Toronto last night at the Air Canada Centre.

"There's a mentality that I'm going to have to crack here," said Wilson. "When we got that one-goal lead in the third period, (we were) sitting back and waiting for something bad to happen instead of expecting something good to happen."

Maurice used to say much the same thing in his two seasons at the helm. Wilson's Leafs – very much a work in progress – took a 3-2 lead into the third. When Crosby scored to tie the game at 5:36, the Leafs responded. Tomas Kaberle's long shot at 7:55 put Toronto up 4-3.

But sloppy, old habits kicked in.

"You're giving up big gaps on the ice, you're not skating, you're not trying to control the puck in the offensive zone," said Wilson, listing their sins. "We'll just have to be involved in more one-goal games, and be successful, and get rid of that déj?* vu feeling that might still be there."

There was much to like about the way the Leafs played the first 56 minutes, especially their defencemen. Kaberle had a goal and two assists and looked like he might be able to rebound from what was a disappointing 2007-08 campaign.

"He took a bad penalty I don't like," said Wilson, "but he moves the puck so well. My understanding is he's in much better shape this year than he was last year. He came to camp lighter. He's probably primed and ready to go."

Mark Eaton and Janne Pesonen also scored for Pittsburgh, which kept Evgeni Malkin out of the lineup.

Today, the Pens head to Sweden to continue their training camp, ultimately scheduled to open the season in Europe.

For the Leafs, Alexei Ponikarovsky and Dominic Moore also scored. But most of the post-game talked revolved around the remarkable training camp defenceman Luke Schenn is having.
    The Star