Warriors President Nixed Deal for Baron

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by ToddMacCulloch11, Sep 30, 2008.

1. ToddMacCulloch11

ToddMacCulloch11 Who me?

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/nba_tracker/posts/9563

I hadn't heard that before...never knew he was that close to being back with the team

2. Legacy

Legacy Beast

It doesn't matter anymore. We weren't going to win a championship anyways, so know point of locking up a injury prone point guard to that deal. Plus, I would rather have Monta and Biedrins so we could look forward to the future.

3. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

You guys spent all your money on a guy named Maggette who is pretty injury prone too. Maggette isn't exactly looking towards the future

4. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I didn't want him either. We should have saved the money for next year or the year after.

5. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Seems pretty strange. Why would Mullin be negotiating something with a player without consulting Rowell first if he knew Rowell controlled the deal? Wouldn't he want to ask Rowell if he wanted Baron back and for how much first? I'm not buying that story exactly as it's written. Maybe "agreement" is too strong a word and more than negotiating Mullin really just asked Baron what he was looking for.

6. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Well, maybe Mullin gave Baron his word that he'd present a deal to Rowell. But you're right. Mullin should know exactly where Rowell's head was on Baron. IMO, if this deal went through, it would be a notch against Mullin. Maybe this is why he's not getting a contract extension.

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

If we got Ellis (and chop that idea since we won't have him for two months because his stupid ass got injured on something he wasn't supposed to be doing), I'd rather develop him at point because he could be twice as good as Baron Davis is. You never know. Essentially we converted Baron Davis into a good ex-Laker big man role player and Corey Maggette. If we had to choose between injury prone players, I'd rather get Maggette because he's more like Jrich power guard (two quick for small forwards, too big for shooting guards, strong enough to finish against all positions). A guy like Mags or Jrich is a compliment to Sjax who is more like a tall, very skilled finesse Mike Miller-esque shooting guard at small forward. The thing I like about Mags is unlike either Jrich or Baron, he can shoot his free throws and actually make 'em. That's all-star material on the Warriors as far as I'm concerned. Too many points lost and we weren't good enough at D to get away with being such a bad free throw shooting team.

These past few years since missing Jamison, Boykins, and Arenas, I've getting pissed off how our perimeter players keep bricking freebies. How do we ever expect to play honestly when 1.) the other team doesn't mind fouling us and 2.) our guys don't want to get fouled because they won't get two points that way. In all fairness, at least there was an improvement last season from Don Nelson's coaching staff.

And I know Rowell tries hard, but he's not a basketball mind. He's more like an 'are the bathrooms clean?' and 'are people sitting in comfortable seats?' kind of guy. He's a service oriented person, but none of that crap matters when the team is losing because the vision sucks.

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I find the timing of this article a bit curious. There was another article the other day about Mullin not aware of the extension talks SJax has been having with ownership. I think the headline read "Mullin Out of the Loop."

I'm not sure why the local writers are reporting these stories and who the source is releasing this information. Agenda driven? Are the higher-ups within the organization trying to send a message to the fans that Mullin isn't likely to get extended?

I'm I reaching?

9. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Well, Matt Steinmetz was on KNBR with Ralph and Tom today and when asked "Do you think Mullin will be extended?" he answered "I doubt it. I doubt it.". Steinmetz usually has a pretty good grip on things so that's not looking good for Mullin. I'm not too happy about that, I hope if Mullin is on the outs they have someone as good or better lined up. If this franchise starts to again resemble what it did in the days of Gary St. Jean, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to watch.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Well the warriors management better have a good grip on who they plan to hire next because I just don't believe in Cohan/Rowell management. The just never seen to hire the right guys with the right vision, but Mullin was actually turning out to be a decent GM after some rough starts. Then again, I could be over-rating Mullin and his staff because it wasn't until Don Nelson joined that the team started doing better all-around.

Nonetheless, Mullin was an excellent drafter and he knew how to deal with media and fan pressure. I was really upset about his first year and second years in office. It was horrible. But he did recover by bringing this franchise to the playoffs after a 11 or 12 year drought (with the help of Nelly and the Indy trade). Playoffs were once thought to be impossible with the Warriors webber/cohan curse and how prior Warriors GMs seem to just fck it up no matter how much time they spent in secaucus drawing numbers out of a hat.

I think the real thing holding this team back has been Cohan and Rowell because... well it's the one constant and they just don't seem like basketball kind of guys. They're like either lawyers or customer service managers, not guys who could be basketball coaches or hardcore basketball fans. Mediocre ownership and mediocre management has made it hard to attract new fans and get them interested in the sport. Our franchise has to have something to get into and to get guys to follow. If we just had another owner who started an expansion team, I'm sure they'd know how to capitalize in a market known for producing some quality basketball players.

11. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Rowell and Cohen are the marketing and finance guys. But they don't know squat about how to create a winning basketball team. I hope they don't get rid of Mullin without a really really good replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if Rowell and Cohen were the ones pushing for the JRich trade as well. They are pretty good at limiting what the team's GM can do and what they do. I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind the big Jamison contract either. Like I said, they are all about marketing. But it's all mostly garbage and really old now.

Also Jackson is having extension talks with the Warriors? I think this is a case where Jackson knows that if he went to Mullin with this talk, he'd be shut down in five seconds. But perhaps he thinks that he could be something from the actual ownership. I mean he did have a very good season last year. It's a good way for Jackson to cash out and get some contract/big bucks security for the future. But then again I haven't read that story.

12. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement