Harrington Slims Down

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Shapecity, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Source: SFGate

2. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Well good luck to Al, but I'm not impressed. He's still a tweener. Sometimes that means you're flexible and can play multiple positions and take advantage of mismatches, and Al can do some of that (he did a good job on Dirk and Yao), but in his case I feel it's more often the downside of that equation, where he struggles to be dominant in any position. With virtually no inside game, poor rebounding, and an inability to get to the foul line and convert, he can't effectively play PF, and the Warriors have much better options at all the other positions. Are you going to sit Maggette or even Azubuike to let Harrington play SF? No. And the additions of Hendrix and Randolph make it even more difficult.

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I agree with HiRez. Harrington is valuable, but I think the notion is the warriors are going to try and use him to improve other positions. Power forward and shooting guard are definitely "platoon positions" as in we don't have a definite starter (I don't really count Sjax or Mags to be ideal starting two guards because of the lack of lateral quickness for that body matchup). Then with Wright, Turiaf, Randolph, Harrington, Hendrix, I don't know if they can match up with the Western elite both offensively and defensively.

Two guard might not be an issue if Azu or Belinelli can step it up for matchups that Sjax and Maggette can't handle. Sjax should be all right. In fact, I think maybe Sjax's game at the two was okay at Indiana. Then with Mags, I'm sure he played the two at times, although I think he plays D like a cross between Jrich and Pietrus. He's overly aggressive like Pietrus, too slow footed like Jrich. The benefit to using Mags at power guard is he's like a Paul Pierce type of guy without the D and as much passing. So I don't mind if Sjax or Mags play either position just as long as they can compliment each other on the court.

But I am going off on a tangent. I'm really up for converting Harrington into a position we need like a true shooting guard or a true power forward or Kirk Hinrich or a border-line star.

4. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I am happy for Harrington. I didn't think about the addition of Turiaf giving Al more PT as SF i needed.

But what really bugged me about Harrington was his mental game. He made some really stupid plays and decisions on the court. Hopefully the exercise improved his brain functioning and cleans that stuff up. I don't want Harrington from last year bringing the ball up the court. He was a big blackhole too. But hopefully he's getting that quickness and perhaps a bit more vertical leap going to get himself into more plays and creating good things on the court. He has the ability to be a big contributor to a team. The Warriors definitely need him to fly right.