Fallout 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Moo2K4, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

So the more I read about this game, the more I want 10/28 to come. This game sounds amazing and epic on so many levels. Anyone else plan on getting this when it comes out? This is most definitely the next game I buy, I'm just hoping to have my 360 back in time for me to get it on release day. Here is a link to a crap-ton of stories on it at Gamestats. Check it out if you haven't heard much about it.

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Re: Fallout 3

Yep, I'm getting it. The setting looks amazing. I'm not a big fan of the latest Elder Scrolls games so I hope it is different enough from those.

3. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Someone summarize the game for me. Didn't Fallout used to be a strategy game? Now it seems to be a FPS, am I right?

4. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I'm kinda sketchy on the previous Fallouts, never played them. I do know that they were RPGs though, which this one still is, but that's about it.

Basically, it's set in post-Apocalyptic America. As for it being an FPS...it is...but it's also an RPG, moreso than it is an FPS. There's a huge character building system in the game, with all sorts of skills and perks you can toy with and level up throughout the journey. The best comparison is obviously going to be Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivon, since Bethesda is making this and they made that just a couple years ago. Obviously though, the worlds are completely different and in comparison to Oblivion, Fallout 3 is going to be smaller in scale, though it sounds like there's going to be just as much, if not more, to do in this game than in Oblivion.

It's completely open world too, so you can go anywhere and do anything you want. At no point does the game force you to tackle the main quest, so you can go off and do all the side missions you can find.

From my understanding, you're also able to build your own weapons in the game, but I'm somewhat sketchy on those details. I do know that you're capable of making some incredibly powerful stuff, from what I've read, some of the best weapons in the game are the ones you make yourself.

The last thing I'll touch on is the VATS system. Don't ask me what it stands for, cause I don't remember, though almost every preview you'll read talks about it. This is one part where RPG elements really come in to play. Basically, you're given attack points (which do regenerate over time) and you're able to use these during battles to go into VATS. It allows you to target specific body parts or limbs and gives you the probability that you're going to hit it. Obviously, the closer you are the better, and the better skilled you are with that set of weapons, - whether it be melee, explosives, small guns, etc. - the better chance you'll have to hit as well. Once you decide on which body part to aim for, it goes in to a slow-mo style action sequence and if you hit it, it shows that contact being made, and a lot of the times the limb or body part will get torn off. And as I mentioned, this system isn't just going to be used for guns. You can use it for melee weapons and explosives too, and it sounds like it's going to be the preferred way of combat in the game, too. But again, it is governed by attack points, so once you run out, you have to wait for them to regenerate, but to say the least, it definitely adds another level of play to the game.

To say the least, the game is going to be amazing. I haven't read much of any negative about this game all the big sites - IGN, Gamespot, 1UP, etc. - are all raving about it. From what it sounds, it definitely sounds like it's going to consume A LOT of my time and could very well end up as my game of the year pick. I. Can't. Wait.

5. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst

I iz buying itz cuz i lyke blizzerddz!

6. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

I'll get it it looks good but i just got Fifa 09 today and i want Saints row 2 too :D

7. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Bump.

I've been watching videos recently, and I'm super excited about it, still.

Also sounds like my local GameStop will be doing a midnight opening, which means I probably won't sleep that night. I'm also almost tempted to take the day off from work to lounge at home and play it all day...

8. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

Lol the height Of Nerdism :D:D:D:D

I don't do that. If you play it for 6 hours straight you will get bored with it a lot quicker. Thats what never do.Take Saints Row 2. When it arrived in the post i was literally 10 minutes away from leaving for school but i went school. Got Hyped upand loved the moment i started to play it.

9. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Yea, so I'm a nerd, but I'm ok with that.

If I do skip class, it wouldn't be the first time I did it to play a video game either. When Halo 2 came out, I definitely did not go to class that day. Instead, we had 3 TV, 12 player games going most of the day.

As for getting bored...I doubt it. I can't foresee myself getting bored with this game quickly at all. There have been multiple days where I've sat around all day and just played Rock Band with a friend of mine. Hell, over the summer, we played 14 hours, only taking a break to eat. There was one day where I started playing Oblivion at 10 in the morning, and before I knew it was 6 at night, and at no point was I bored. So, I highly doubt boredom will set in with this game.

10. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Wow...that's all I have to say about this game. It's incredible. I've put a good 7 hours in it on my first day of owning it, and it's just amazing. The game is huge, the action is intense, and most importantly, it's super fucking fun. Before I put my personal review of it up, I want to get a few more hours in and do a little more exploring, but needless to say, this game is worth every single penny of your $60. Do yourself a favor, and buy it.

11. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst

Moo, what are the specs for your computer?

I "got" the game, but I am only getting <10 FPS. I'm on my temporary computer, and my dual 9600 Geforce is sitting back home. Right now I have a Geforce 5200 Pro - That's my problem.

12. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

I'll probably get this later on. Xmas methinks :D

13. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I play on the 360. My computer could NEVER run it. Not a chance.

14. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

I own Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and still play it often, so when I heard this was being made by the same company it automatically became a must buy. The combat and everything looks amazing.

15. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

My nan asked what I wanted for Xmas and she said "what about an Xbox game?"

Starightaway i asked for This :D

16. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

So I'm closing in on the 20 hour mark, so I figured I'd give my review of it, since I've had plenty of time with it now.

So, the first thing to start with is the combat. And yes, it is awesome, so long as you stay in first person. The shooting mechanics work very well, even if they're not as tight as your typical FPS. It's also very intense, especially when you get more than a couple on you at once. Unless you have some good weapons or are very skilled with a particular weapon set, that could spell doom for you. Melee also works well, for the most part. The melee is very similar to the melee combat in Oblivion, which, for the most part, is a good thing.

Then we have VATS, and wow, does it rock. VATS basically allows you to stop time and target a specific body part on the opponent you're facing. While in VATS, it gives you a percentage of how likely it is to hit each body part, which helps out with the strategy of the game. After you choose which body part you want to attack, you get a slow-mo cutscene of the attack, and if you manage to kill them, you could get quite the entertaining gore fest. VATS isn't just held to guns though, you can use it for melee, as well as explosives, and it works well with both of those. With VATS though, you do have to keep in mind that it is still possible to be attacked, so you're not invincible while using it.

While VATS sounds like it might make the game pretty cheap, think otherwise. VATS could have easily been overpowered by allowing you to use it all the time, but you can't. VATS is governed by Action Points, so when you run out, you can't use VATS for the time being. However, they do regenerate at a decent clip, so if you so choose to, you can run around for about 30 seconds or so while they regenerate, allowing you to go back in to VATS.

Keep in mind that VATS also misses. Even if you have a 95% chance to hit someone, it's still not a guarantee. I missed at point blank range with a baseball bat because my enemy baked away, so yea, definitely not a guarantee.

The story, from what I've played also seems to be good. I haven't delved too far in to it at this point, but I do like what I've encountered from it. So, I won't ruin any of it for you, but it definitely is pretty damn good.

The RPG elements also work very well. There's actually two sets of RPG elements in here. The first one is S.P.E.C.I.A.L, and these are your core attributes that affect all the other attributes in the game. S.P.E.C.I.A.L stands for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck. All seven of them are tied to your actual skills. At the beginning of the game, you get to balance out your S.P.E.C.I.A.L attributes how you want to, and those go largely unchanged for most of the game unless you choose perks that allow you to do otherwise (more on perks in a moment). So, for example, if you have a high agility, you're going to be more skilled in Small Guns and Sneak, and also have more Action Points. So keep in mind what type of character you want when you're choosing your S.P.E.C.I.A.L attributes, because unless you use a perk on them, they don't change at all as you level up.

As for Skills, there's a plethora of the. They range from Big Guns and Small Guns to things like Speech and Bartering. In total, there's 13, and depending on the direction you're taking your character, a lot of them could be useless. At the beginning of the game, you get to "tag" three skills, and these should be the skills you focus on most of the game. Skills are also what you get to tweak after every level up. When you level up, you get a certain amount of skill points to utilize between your 13 skills, so it gives you a lot of flexibility to build the character how you want it.

And unlike Oblivion, you can't make a character that excels at everything. This is a game where you're almost forced to specialize. One reason is the level cut-off - you only level up to 20 (though I foresee a patch to allow a higher level). The other reason is because when the game gets tough, you want to be really good at something, instead of mediocre at everything. Otherwise, when you encounter Super Mutants, you could be in for a long day and a lot of reloads, because they can be brutally tough. So, specializing will be your friend, to say the least.

The next thing to touch on is Perks. Perks are a fun touch to this game. After every level, you get to choose a perk that affects your character in some way, with new perks becoming available every two levels (though you can still choose the perks from previous levels too). Some examples of Perks are something like Gun Nut, which gives you a permanent 5% increase to Small Guns and Repair, and it's a perk that you can actually use three times. There's also one called Intense Training, which allows you to add one point to your S.P.E.C.I.A.L attributes. There's 58 perks available to you from level ups (a lot of which can be used multiple times), and then there's another 11 available to you from quests. If I'm correct though, you can't get all 11 of the quest perks, but I could be wrong.

Aside from all the gameplay and RPG elements, the game is gorgeous. I play on a 360 and on an SDTV, and it's still a very pretty game. I've had the opportunity to play it in HD, and wow is it gorgeous. The team at Bethesda did a fantastic job creating a post-apocalyptic wasteland version of DC, even including things like the Lincoln Monument in there

With all the positives, there are some negatives. I have had the game freeze on me twice (my friend Brian has had it freeze a few times too), and there is also some graphical glitches, like pop-in. The graphic glitches are to be expected though, especially with a game of this size, it's impossible to catch everything. As mentioned earlier too, the FPS controls, while good, could have been a little bit tighter, though they're nothing I'm going to raise a fuss about. The only other issue to point out is the 3rd person perspective. Just like Oblivion, the game is completely unplayable in it. It's horribly broken and combat is bad in it. Stay away.

So, at the end of the day, is the game worth the hype? Absolutely. The game does basically everything right. The graphics are great, the sound is fantastic, all of the gameplay elements are fantastic....it's just awesome. The countless positives of this game easily outweigh the minute negatives of the game. Do yourself a favor and buy this game immediately. In my book, this is definitely THE game of the year and a must-buy for the holiday season.

17. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst

I just finished the game, and I have to say it's one of the worst endings I have ever seen.

18. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

You do realize there's at least three different endings depending on your Karma level...and from my understanding...there's a good couple hundred.

19. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst

Mine was shit.

20. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

What was your Karma at? Mine's trudging in the negative right now...pretty far in too, and I didn't even blow up Megaton.