Ellis gets 30-game suspension without pay for accident

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AlleyOop, Oct 11, 2008.

1. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3638098

I think this is a good statement by the Warriors. The big part is they're suspending him without pay...

Does he normally get paid for preseason? If not, than they are really only suspending without pay for 26 games. So, if he's making 11 mils in the first year of his 6 years / 66 mils contract, that means they are fining him roughly $3.5 million dollars! by suspending him without pay for the first 26 regular season games. Ouch.

The good news for GS fans is that he would have been out through Dec. 17 anyway, so we aren't losing out on him due to the suspension (unlike Jax last year). Ellis probably won't come back until January anyway.

So, really, the suspension is just for show. But $3.5 mils ain't! That's a lot of money. Personally, I like the statement by the Warriors. Ellis did a dumb thing, and made it worse by not owning up right away. That's especially bad from your supposed new franchise leader. Hopefully, he accepts this punishment like a man and becomes better because of it. Now is his chance to come out and say he deserves it and that he's sorry. That's what a true franchise player would do. This could actually build his character and leadership skills.

On the other side, it will suck if he gets defiant or tries to sabotage his relationship with the club. But I don't see him doing that.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. Legacy

Legacy Beast

He won't be playing anyways so it isn't really bad for him.

3. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

Makes sense to me. Why should he get paid while recovering from a self-inflicted injury doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing? :tsktsk:

4. ToddMacCulloch11

ToddMacCulloch11 Who me?

Other then that whole not getting paid for not playing part.

5. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I don't have a problem with the fine, it's harsh but fair, I just think it was handled really poorly by letting it sit there for so long leaving everyone wondering WTF was going on. Hopefully Monta is not going to be bitter about it. I think if they had just come down immediately with the heavy hammer it would have been easier on everyone.

6. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

About time. Well he's got no one to blame but himself. Which is the way it is supposed to be, you cause your injury, then lie about it?

7. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    It'd be nice if Monta made a public apology as well...

8. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Haha, that I didn't read about that part till today.

9. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'm sure Ellis will have the opportunity to apologize. Maybe he's choosing the right time so it doesn't seem forced.

Forcing or pressuring someone to apologize isn't really getting the person to apologize. It's just lip service.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/th...16/warriors_punishment_of_ellis_seems_extreme

The blog actually thinks the penalty is harsh, but I believe the fine + suspension is fair. The franchise was trying to make a statement. You don't go halfway when you're trying to make a statement. The penalty has to be a little bit harsh or else it don't stick and the fans won't be satisfied with making up for this "betrayal".

Now there's some speculation about a rift between Mullin and the ownership (maybe Mullin disagrees with how they handled the Ellis thing?). I just try to filter out the b.s. There's no way the ownership would be unhappy with Mullin because have they done any better? When was the last time the Warriors were close .500? If there is a rift, the ownership ought to stay away from basketball affairs unless they can hire somebody better. If ownership wants to make money by selling seats, they got to win more ball games and at least act like they want to win. Sometimes I wonder if the Warriors can attract anyone good. After the musselman firing, I felt Rowell and company had no class.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2008-10-12-notes-ellis-suspension-appeal_N.htm

Then again the other side is, let's try to be proactive. Maybe Ellis can be with the team, but they just fine him 3mil and call it a day. I think that's fair. That should be the argument. Taking his 3 mil and converting it to something useful rather than telling Ellis to stay away from the team for 30 games.

Personally, I'd go either way. I still think Ellis is extremely stupid for doing an illegal activity after a few weeks of signing that big deal. I'm sure his agent and his employers must have gone over the most important clauses in his contract EXPLICITLY. WTF was his problem? It's like he became retarded or just didn't care. When they say no motorized bikes, what did he think that meant? The guy almost deserves the full punishment if he weren't such a terrific character before this incident. He's never had any issues before this so I can't overreact like the franchise may be doing. But a statement should be made although our star player is the first example.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  10. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah -- it's difficult too, because coming into the league, Ellis was the PERFECT young attitude: quiet, tireless, positive. He was just trying to do his best for the team and get better. His youth and innocence won over thousands of GS fans. But somehow I do think he has been influenced by Baron a bit. Of course he had to grow up either way -- he couldn't stay the innocent, young, coach's dream forever. But I think the $$, the city and the fame got to him a little bit, which I was praying wouldn't happen, but knew inevitably he would have to deal with. It's just with Monta, the sky's the limit, and the only thing that could limit his potential is attitude, IMO. I just hope he doesn't try to start affecting an ego or a star-mentality. I know he's come from extreme hardship and I hope he doesn't lose sight of it. The only thing that could keep Monta Ellis out of the hall-of-fame (besides his ankle) is if he becomes tainted by the star life of NBA ballaz, IMO. Baron took Monta under his wing, yes. And I love Baron's game. But I don't like "me first" in basketball. And I'm hoping Monta doesn't ever lose that respectful quality that helps him stay in the zone. The reason why he's able to flow so effortlessly in the zone, IMO, is because he doesn't have much of an ego -- he seems to be able to free himself from "me" and just play. That's the one thing that Baron will always struggle with, IMO.

It ain't about the car, the clothes, the highlights or the stats. It's about the game.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008