Do pretty stats insinuate being a quality defender? (Or: Is Camby a good defender?)

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by #1_War_Poet_ForLife, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is Marcus Camby a good defender?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

I can't believe I actually have to post this. :sigh:

2. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Re: Do pretty stats insinuate being a quality defender? (Or: Is Camby a good defender

His stats would say yes, anyone who watches would say no.

To his defense though, he is a hell of a shot blocker and rebounder...just a highly overrated defensive player.

3. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Re: Do pretty stats insinuate being a quality defender? (Or: Is Camby a good defender

If the Nuggets become significantly worse on the defensive end this year, then we'll know.

4. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

I'd attribute that to losing Najera

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Stats don't automatically insinuate being a good defender. Camby is a decent example but I think he gets more flack around here than he deserves. Look at guys like Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul, Allen Iverson, Amare Stoudemire, etc. who put up good 'defensive stats' (i.e. blocks, steals, rebounds) but in actuality they really aren't good man defenders. On the other side of that there's guys like Battier, Bruce Bowen, James Posey, Quinton Ross, PJ Brown, etc. whose stats are quite pedestrian but are actually great man defenders.

Then you have guys like Ben Wallace (in his prime), Ron Artest, Kevin Garnett, Andre Iguodala, Shawn Marion, etc. who put up great defensive stats and back that up with truly great defense.

Camby isn't as good as his stats suggest but I don't think hes useless defensively like a certain poster on this site would lead you to believe. :pimp:

6. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Hard to believe that they could get significantly worse than last year. They were pretty horrific even with Camby and Najera.

7. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

It's quite a mystery where this thread came from. :sherlock:

8. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

In some instances, stats can show how poor a defender is. If a guy is constantly gambling for steals, he is going to get burned all the time but his steal numbers will look good. And if a guy is cheating off his man down low a lot, his block numbers will look good, but his man is going to get a lot of wide open layups.

9. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

It actually is, since this thread has nothing to do with S2 :P

10. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Honestly, I don't see how the Nuggets could get any worse on defense.

11. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

They could be a lot worse. They were in the middle of the pack in FG% defense, they were above average in forcing turnovers per possession, they did a decent job of keeping opponents off the free throw line. They could play the same fast pace as last year, but also give up a lot more points per possession.

12. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.

Defense isn't about the stats obviously. Marcus has a few problems giving up deep position in the post, and he can get pushed around by big bodies but he's useful in various ways though. I love how he boxes out and somewhat sparks the transition offense, and he he has the lateral quickness to contest various shots. There's not too much depth at his position these days so I find him quite useful. He puts himself in good position to draw charges/etc. , and his Assist Percentage was pretty nice too.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008