Nelson Screwed Up with O'Bryant

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Shapecity, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Source: NY Post

It's not the first time Nelson has stunted the development of a big man, or given up too early on one. He's always been a genius in developing guards and wing players, but unless a big man can shoot a 30 footer (ie Nowitzki), Nelson doesn't give them a fair look.

Reading about O'Bryant this offseason and seeing some of his highlights you can't help, but think "He's exactly what the Warriors need."

A legit 7 foot shot blocker who can get out and run the floor.

I'm worried Nellie might make the same misjudgement with Brandon Wright.

2. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

biedrins seems to be doing well in gs, soooo.......

3. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I think it's too early to call it like that. POB had plenty of opportunities in GS. I myself actually felt he could really be good, and was excited to see him develop a little grit after bouncing out of the D-League. I would rather have kept him than Kosta Perovic. But it's too early to say that he's finally emerged as a Celtic. It is a nice thought to see him becoming a centerpiece alongside KG, but he hasn't even played a regular season game yet. He's got the body and the skills, though.

With him it's all about motivation, though, and it appears that he may finally have found a bit of that. It will be interesting to see.

4. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think that is that impressive. Didn't Hendrik have an awesome game with the Warriors this offseason. Marco has been looking real good as well. Does this really mean that much? I don't think so. But I hope POB does well. Boston will be good for him.

5. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Don Nelson seems to do well with the power forward types like Biedrins (who is moved over to Center at 230 lbs). Any guy above 250 lbs (which is true center weight for most 6'11 guys), Nelson has no use for. Nelson has little use for those bigger guys because they move slower up the court and they need to be fed the ball in order to stay motivated (in most cases). I wonder if Biedrins' growth has been stunted because he was supposed to be a guy who had more than basic inside footwork. We never really used that due to Biedrins' lack of strength down low.

Don Nelson's experience with big players is one reason why I'm not sold on Nelson as somebody that can get us further. But we all knew that. We just wanted to make the playoffs. He favors guards and we've developed or possessed some great guards. Nelson had no patience for guys like POB who could be good one day. So he went for the hustle type of guy that is quicker up and down the floor (Biedrins).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. Shapecity

Not sure, but his stock is at an all-time high and at worst the Warriors could have received something for him via trade. In the NBA you can't let go of a 1st round pick without any compensation back.

Big men always take longer to develop and the Warriors should have kept him away from Nellie until he was further along as an NBA player.

7. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I think letting POB go was best for the Warriors and POB. I am happy to see that his stock is going up, and it will help him a lot playing with all those all-stars in Boston. But I am happy with Turiaf, Wright, Hendrix, and Biedrins. I don't think POB's stock going up and him being a Warrior had any chance of happening. He needs to be in a better situation and he is. Good for him.

8. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Yup. Don Nelson gave up on POB during practice fer chrissakes and has not given Brandon Wright much run despite the compliments. Let's face it. Nelson doesn't know how to develop rooks in today's game let alone know how to use a big man who doesn't fit in his run and gun mismatch schemes. Just look at Manute Bol who was taking 3-pointers!

I hope after Nelson retires that we see a coach who emphasizes the fast break game and pick and roll play as opposed to run and gun. That type of game doesn't win championships and even the best at it in the history of the game, PHX under Mike D'Antoni and DENVER under Doug Moe, couldn't get it done. Is Avery Johnson still available?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  9. Shapecity

Avery Johnson just signed a TV with ESPN.

10. DLee7283

DLee7283 Bond, James Bond

student
    I thought he was going down that road too but he is giving the kid alot of PT in preseason

11. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Maybe we get another halfcourt x's and o's guy. How about get Eric Musselman back. Worst comes to worst he can revert to run n' gun like he did with Arenas, Jamison days. Then again, I was pretty upset at his 2 point 4th quarter coaching against Toronto back in 2003. 2 points?? Are you kidding me??

12. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I do not think it was totally Nellie's fault. POB acted like a stiff. He just did not show hustle or drive. I think his release woke POB up. I always loved his skill set, the soft hands, the long wingspan, the sweet shot. I hope him the best.