Warriors could be derailed by Rowell's power play

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Shapecity, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Source: Contra Costa Times

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I can only say that Cohan and Rowell are bad for winning unless they hire people that are talented and are put in a position to win. Mully's finally getting good and now he's not being put in a position to win. That really sucks.

I have disliked Rowell's absence of tact ever since the firing of Eric Musselman. Way to call out your best coach in years who has his hands tied behind his back on the account of the Warriors firesale and major injuries to our old dudes that we got in that trade (I still think Muss deserves some credit despite the 2point 4th quarter against Toronto back in '03). And Cohan... the guy's a coward who doesn't know anything about basketball other than there's an nba team in Oakland. The guy won't even show up in games for fear of getting booed in his own complex like in that one all-star weekend the Warriors hosted. That's how badly Cohan was hated, he was booed in his own arena with his kids present on national tv. Give me an owner like Mark Cuban, somebody who is self made and isn't afraid to go slumming with the fans or being a complete jackass. He is awesome for that very reason. Cohan and his pet monkey Rowell aren't going to make things any better in Oakland. We might as well ship this crap out East, and get a new nba team to root for that doesn't embarrass us fans with its crappy management and propensity to go for long streaks without anybody good in the draft, without good coaches or without good free agents.

Anyhoo, I think the decision to fine Ellis was not extreme. So I think Cohan and Rowell have legit beef for this situation. I think Rowell is doing something that many of us fans feel is justified because the fans are paying his employer so this Ellis can get paid over 10 mil a year. Ellis screwed up and he's got to take it like a man. He's got more money than he knows what to do with and I'm sure he's so rich he could probably go mopedding next year and break his ankle all over again if he wanted to. If Nelson and Mullin say go soft, I'd want the management to meet them halfway on this matter. The suspension is nothing. The fine is probably the most extreme. I'd figure 500,000 or at most 1mil would be plenty. That's why I say if there's any arguing done over the fine, it should be arbitrated so that the fine can actually be converted into a tax write off. Like give money to homeless shelters in Oakland or those rotten schools or something.

Ellis is a good guy, but he's got to man up. Unless he wants to arbitrate where that money goes (like some of it back into the pockets of season-ticket holding fans or charity). The rest can go to buying the team a new big man coach because we need a good big man and I don't know how much impact Beans will have this year.

3. xplicitjc

xplicitjc cold as a hooker's heart

wow...that's a well-written, and very scary, article.

4. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Let's hope there isn't as much disharmony in the Warriors front office as this article points to. It certainly makes for a good story, but Rowell hasn't done anything bad yet.

5. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    This is going to be a disaster. I really believe Rowell was the guy who didn't want to extend Baron Davis another three years @ $13 M per, which was reasonable compared to the $65 M the Clips gave Baron.

6. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

I still don't think I'd want to do that deal. It wasn't just 3 year at 13M per, unless I'm mistaken it was one year at 17 and then 3 at 13. We'd have an outstanding obligation of 4 years and 56 million. Looking at it that way, the Clippers got a better deal than that.

7. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Like I said, Rowell hasn't done anything bad yet. It wasn't only a money issue with Baron, it was a winning and development of our young guys issue. With Baron, there wasn't enough rhythm on the floor and there would be no way Monta could come into his own. Let's face it, Baron was the MAN and he gave us several great years, but his time was up, perhaps one year too early, but one year earlier to give us a head-start on developing our young guys.

Yup.