Thread: All-Era Playoffs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
  1. TOP #76
    Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane's Avatar It's not even loaded!

Default Re: All-Era Playoffs

As far as the voting being a popularity contest, my view is that it cheapens the whole process and does S2 a disservice. Why? Well, why bother to have the draft at all when we can just vote for the most popular posters in a poll. Why does it do S2 a disservice? It sure makes the appearance of the overall actual basketball knowledge (when it comes to all-time players) look weak.
    You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter lets him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says 'Who's that?' St. Peter says, 'Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane.

When you say my name, say it like you really mean it!
    Check out my blog here
    R.I.P. MGB - you will be missed

2. TOP #77
    huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller's Avatar Change (Deftones)

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    DRob did grab 10 RPG next to Rodman, but no other Spurs player grabbed more than 5. When he grabbed 16 RPG for the Bulls, the 2nd leading rebounder for them was Pippen at 6.5; Jordan grabbed 5.9 and Longley 5.6.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ct_career.html

Regarding assists... Wilt averaged 4.4 for his career in an era when assists weren't easily awarded. He had back to back seasons of 7.8 and 8.6 APG- not sure if any center ever has come close to those kinds of figures let alone leading the league in assists. Given that he would be double teamed by bigger players today, he'd most certainly be passing out of those more. Combine that with relaxed awarding of assists, he'd have a good shot at 10 APG, IMO.

Wilt also never passed at that level without subjugating himself on offense. And when he averaged over 8 assists a game his team took 8400 shots that season.
    Last edited by huevonkiller; 10-31-2008 at 11:01 AM.

<center></center>

"Not 1. Not 2. Not 3. Not 4. Not 5. Not 6. Not 7.... And when I say that I really mean it, I'm not just blowing smoke........."

3. TOP #78
    ghoti is developing a reputation ghoti's Avatar A PhD in Horribleness

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    It sure makes the appearance of the overall actual basketball knowledge (when it comes to all-time players) look weak.

+

Click.

=

Duck.

Regular Season Shutouts, All Time. -
    Terry Sawchuk.-103 ..Martin Brodeur -98

Now Online - ghoti radio

Two-Thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in my damn backyard!
    F*ck the Cowboys!

4. TOP #79
    DynastYWarrioR6 has written some things that people like DynastYWarrioR6 has written some things that people like DynastYWarrioR6's Avatar JBB SmurfY

Huevon's team has won the All-Era draft, congratulations to him and his team!
    <div align="center">"Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons." -<span style="color:#FF0000">Kobe Bryant</span></div>

Props to GMJigga

Quote Originally Posted by yinets1860 View Post
    yep,i like this guys,he always bomb hoop....

5. TOP #80
    GMJ is developing a reputation Banned

Man I missed out on a good thread, oh well.

It appears to me that a lot of these posts are made because a lot of people are butthurt and have their head up their ass over their opinion of older players. It's not too surprising, you usually get this in a lot of "___drafts," especially one where there's such a large spectra of comparisons to be made, especially the modern vs old school dynamic. At least that's my perception.

6. TOP #81
    DynastYWarrioR6 has written some things that people like DynastYWarrioR6 has written some things that people like DynastYWarrioR6's Avatar JBB SmurfY

Quote Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
    Man I missed out on a good thread, oh well.

It appears to me that a lot of these posts are made because a lot of people are butthurt and have their head up their ass over their opinion of older players. It's not too surprising, you usually get this in a lot of "___drafts," especially one where there's such a large spectra of comparisons to be made, especially the modern vs old school dynamic. At least that's my perception.
    You jealous that you missed out?
    <div align="center">"Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons." -<span style="color:#FF0000">Kobe Bryant</span></div>

Props to GMJigga

7. TOP #82

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Fan View Post
    oh and ask DW, I told him at the beginning of this all-era draft 'someone with a bunch of modern era players will win this because ppl don't know the history of the game and forums are generally full of younger ppl' Younger ppl tend to believe everything in their era is the best (I was like that too) so I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. I enjoyed the draft process.
    I rest my case.

despite this being a draft about the greatest players of all time, a team with a bunch of guys barely into the prime of their careers wins... just fucking stupid and thoughtless voting.

8. TOP #83
    huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller is becoming well known huevonkiller's Avatar Change (Deftones)

Quote Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
    I rest my case.
    Last edited by huevonkiller; 11-03-2008 at 08:29 AM.

<center></center>

"Not 1. Not 2. Not 3. Not 4. Not 5. Not 6. Not 7.... And when I say that I really mean it, I'm not just blowing smoke........."

9. TOP #84
    Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane has several friends Denny Crane's Avatar It's not even loaded!

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Fan View Post
    I rest my case.

despite this being a draft about the greatest players of all time, a team with a bunch of guys barely into the prime of their careers wins... just fucking stupid and thoughtless voting.
    I'm with you, brotha
    You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter lets him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says 'Who's that?' St. Peter says, 'Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane.

When you say my name, say it like you really mean it!
    Check out my blog here
    R.I.P. MGB - you will be missed

10. TOP #85

Quote Originally Posted by DynastYWarrioR6 View Post
    Huevon's team has won the All-Era draft, congratulations to him and his team!
    Thanks DW.

<center></center>

11. TOP #86
    ghoti is developing a reputation ghoti's Avatar A PhD in Horribleness

Good draft. I learned a lot about S2.

Regular Season Shutouts, All Time. -
    Terry Sawchuk.-103 ..Martin Brodeur -98

Now Online - ghoti radio

Two-Thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in my damn backyard!
    F*ck the Cowboys!

12. TOP #87

Actually thru the research I had of the players I drafted, I learned alot about some of the older more uncommonly known players of the league. It was fun to learn.

Props to GMJigga

13. TOP #88
    J_Ray is developing a reputation J_Ray's Avatar JBB JustBBall Member

Quote Originally Posted by DynastYWarrioR6 View Post
    Actually thru the research I had of the players I drafted, I learned alot about some of the older more uncommonly known players of the league. It was fun to learn.
    Yeah, same here even though I picked quite a few people from the 90's, I looked up most of these other guys other people took just to find out about them and stuff.

"Deron Williams goes at least 20-10 in 1st 4 games of series. Only others to do that: Magic, Oscar, Kevin Johnson"
    Deron Williams>Chris Paul

14. TOP #89
    durvasa is developing a reputation durvasa's Avatar JBB Rockets Fan

I feel bad that I missed this thread. I'll back up huevonkiller on this. I think Rodman is the greatest rebounder of all time. And, moreover, I don't think its even close.

Sorry Wilt, sorry Russ.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information