Nelson, Warriors Agree To Contract Extension

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by DynastYWarrioR6, Oct 26, 2008.

1. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55081/20081026/nelson_warriors_agree_to_contract_extension/

2. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

That might bode well for Mullin returning since I think he and Nellie are pretty tight. Although if we don't hear anything on the Mullin front in the next couple weeks I think that means he's out. Anyway, good signing even for $6M. Nellie at least keeps things entertaining and who else are we gonna get? I hope they decide soon if Keith Smart is going to be the successor or not though, so we're ready when Nellie does leave.

3. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't know. The rumor is that Mullin may be fired even before his contract expires. And, if you read the article below, you can somewhat sense that Nelson thinks Mullin to be gone sooner or later. Anyway, great signing. Nelson definitely wants to get no. 1 winning record as a coach, and 3 years is more than enough. Too bad he will probably not going to get a championship though...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/25/SPHN13NSQQ.DTL

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah! :clap::clap:

Nelson has been the single most important factor in the Warriors success the last few years. He has taken guys like Azibuike, Watson and Barnes and used them in starting roles to win tough games down the stretch.

I'm sure he'll find a way to use the strange collection of talent on this roster to at least be competitive for the POs this year.

If Mike Montgomery or Brian Winters had this team, we'd be looking at 30 wins. At least with Nellie we can look for something like 45 wins.

This really improves my attitude towards Cohan / Rowell. Good signing.

5. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I'm all for this signing. I love Nellie!

I know Custodian has some other thoughts but I think even he would agree that Nellie is still the best choice for coach despite his flaws.

6. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Why is Mullin getting let go? Is there somebody else under his wing that deserves the cred? His drafts looked awfully good, especially in the 2nd rounds. Of course, the year Perovic was drafted, I wish it should have been Marcus Vinicius or Leon Powe. And although Taft was a great pick, I was hoping for Andray Blatche a little more.

Mullin must have done something to make the ownership worse than they already are (if that was even possible).

7. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    It's hard to see Rowell criticizing Mullin's drafts unless he wanted Ronnie Brewer and not Patrick O'Bryant or Leon Powe over Kosta Perovic like you said ;).

It sounds as if Rowell wants some input on player matters and this rift started with Baron Davis because his opting out was too sudden :sigh:. If Nelson is going to be here another two more years after this, then Mullin should be here just as long. I have to admit Mullin started out lousy, but he's worked hard to improve the team since he landed Baron and Nellie.