I'm Down with Jax on Getting Stephon Marbury If He Gets Cut

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by jason bourne, Nov 2, 2008.

1. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
  2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I wouldn't be too opposed to it. He averaged 13.9pts/4.7 ast just last year- we could use that out of our starting PG. We just need someone competent with handling the ball and pushing the break. As a bonus Marbury is also a big, strong PG who can shoot and has solid vision.

I doubt he'd come here if Denver and Miami want him too though.

3. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

The numbers look good, but it's all the stuff that doesn't show up in the stat sheet that scares me. See Troy Murphy or MDJ for two examples. Then again, we may be desperate.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Dunno if desperate is the right term but look at how solid we've been this season without a competent PG. If we had even a half decent PG who a) has great handles so we don't need Jack fumbling the ball all over, b) can push the tempo, c) has nice vision, d) can penetrate, shoot, drive and dish, pick and roll, etc. I wouldn't expect Marbs to be a star but we just need someone who is a competent ball handler/fast break catalyst/penetrator. Marbs still has the talent to do that I would think. He does come with baggage but that's when we have to rely on the leadership of Nellie and Jack to keep him in check.

I'd approve signing him to a non-guaranteed one year deal.

5. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I have to post this video in any and every Marbury thread, so here it is. Start at 7:15 if you don't have time for the whole thing.

[video=youtube;zWxgbyYrT5A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxgbyYrT5A&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxgbyYrT5A&feature=related[/video]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

They mentioned the Nuggets & Heat are the two teams interested in Marbury if he is cut loose. Marbury is talented and he'd work in Nellie's system. Having SJax there to keep in line is even more reason to pursue him if he's made available. He'd be an upgrade over Marcus Williams.

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

If Marbury could play anywhere near the time he made the all-star team I'd be happy to get him. But like Hirez says, stats don't mean anything because he could be doing negative stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. He's got to defend, make plays, and finish. I suppose if it doesn't cost us anything to get him I'd definitely take Marbury. Hell, I would have taken Steve Francis at this point.

8. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    We're desperate, but not that desperate :pokecrap:.