Marcus Banks rumored to sign with Lakers

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by CelticBalla32, Jun 16, 2006.

1. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...th_los_angeles/

Also Jeff (guy who runs CelticsBlog and gets some inside info a lot from reliable sources) has been told by Patrick Gilroy that it is supposedly a 3 year deal.

Nice move by LA if this is true. You need a PG very badly, and Marcus Banks has a LOT of potential. He finally caught a break and recieved playing time in Minnesota, and played extremely well. He is a top 5 PG 1-on-1 defender in the NBA in my opinion, extremely fast, quick first step, and can definitely get to the basket. His playmaking still needs work but it is improving, and under Phil Jackson, I see it improving greatly. His jumper was sort of bad when the Celtics drafted him in 2003, but it has improved every year, and in Minnesota he definitely proved it has improved a great deal since his days at UNLV. Again, nice signing if this is true, and I think Banks will blossom into a good PG.

2. arya202

arya202 BBW Elite Member

I sure hope so. I heard his help d isn't too good and the Lakers are mostly a help D team. But whatever should be better than Smush. He needs to work on the perimeter game more if he's gonna be in the triangle.

3. LightsOut

LightsOut BBW Elite Member

He would be a great signing for the Lakers. They're desperate for a true starting PG. Banks is young and has a bright future. Smush would likely be kicked out of the starting lineup, but coming off the bench would probably better suit him anyway.

4. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arya202 @ Jun 16 2006, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I sure hope so. I heard his help d isn't too good and the Lakers are mostly a help D team. But whatever should be better than Smush. He needs to work on the perimeter game more if he's gonna be in the triangle.</div>
    The only thing wrong with Marcus' defense is that he is like velcrow on screens. But other than that he plays excellent, harrassing man-to-man defense and there are not a lot of people that can blow by him at all. Plus he is one of the fastest PG's in the NBA end-to-end. I think he will be great in LA.

5. arya202

arya202 BBW Elite Member

Yeah Kobe can probably teach him a thing or two about battling through screens.

6. NOODLESTYLE

NOODLESTYLE BBW Member

let's just put it this way Marcus Banks is similiar to a young Gary Payton on D. He truly does play tough D. People are worried about Marcus Banks jump s hot. If you watched any of the minnesota t-wolves game this year, Marcus Banks has improved on his jumper drastically. It's not Peja Stojakovic comparison, but at the same time if he's playing under the triangle Marcus will have plenty of oppurtunities to improve the jumper.Derek Fisher never was a great 3 pt threat until he learned to play in the triangle. The Lakers need more athletic players who can play D that's the most important thing next season. Scoring is and never was a problem for the Lakers.

7. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

I love Marcus, I think he would benefit playing in LA with a legend like Kobe. With his quickness I don't see how a guy like himself can't be successfull in this league. He's the type of player you want to see succeed. I think he needs to learn more about the help defense like a bunch of you guys stated earlier. Also, his passing skills could use some help, his assists went up a little bit in Minny but he seemed like he had trouble knowing when to dish the ball and not to dish the ball (atleast in Boston). I'm rootin for Marcus.

8. melo

melo Magic

And it''s been reported in the Minni-star-tribune. I'm still not going to be convinced he's actually on our team untill i see him in a jersey playing for the p/g.Remember this? F*ck Gary payton[​IMG]Well we get an upgrade on defense at 1, that's what ive heard of. I haven't watched boston/minny enough to see how good he really is. But if he plays defense then he's welcome.

9. NOODLESTYLE

NOODLESTYLE BBW Member

oh trust me, he's good if given playing time. I don't think Phil Jackson had a lighting PG on his squad since BJ Armstrong. Marcus Banks broke out in Minnesota. How can he not succeed? all his little issues people are describing can all be fixed under the triangle. Weak Jump shot? Passing problems? let's remember here the triangle doesn't require a traditional PG, in fact Lamar Odom and Luke Walton will probaly be the ones running the triangle. Marcus Banks focus will be on D and doing all the garbage work. If he can disrupt opposing teams PGs, this is lesser work for Kobe and will keep him energized throughout the game.

10. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melo_061 @ Jun 16 2006, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>And it''s been reported in the Minni-star-tribune. I'm still not going to be convinced he's actually on our team untill i see him in a jersey playing for the p/g.

Remember this? F*ck Gary payton

[​IMG]

Well we get an upgrade on defense at 1, that's what ive heard of. I haven't watched boston/minny enough to see how good he really is. But if he plays defense then he's welcome.</div>
    LOL yeah I remember that. I was so happy when I found out the trade was recinded haha. We ended up giving you Jumaine Jones instead. LMAO I was pumped. Plus I love Marcus and seriously screamed in enjoyment when we traded for him on draft day (I was a big fan of his since he transferred to UNLV). Too bad things didn't work out here [​IMG] , but he will blossom in a year or 2, and eventually become a very good PG in this league.

11. melo

melo Magic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NOODLESTYLE @ Jun 17 2006, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>oh trust me, he's good if given playing time. I don't think Phil Jackson had a lighting PG on his squad since BJ Armstrong. Marcus Banks broke out in Minnesota. How can he not succeed? all his little issues people are describing can all be fixed under the triangle. Weak Jump shot? Passing problems? let's remember here the triangle doesn't require a traditional PG, in fact Lamar Odom and Luke Walton will probaly be the ones running the triangle. Marcus Banks focus will be on D and doing all the garbage work. If he can disrupt opposing teams PGs, this is lesser work for Kobe and will keep him energized throughout the game.</div>True, we don't need Banks to run the offense. All i wanted from the offseason was point guard who can play defense and i think we've gotten it.You think miles is worth signing? If we pick him up and Phil can fix him up, we'll probably have of the best defensive squads in the nba.

12. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melo_061 @ Jun 16 2006, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>True, we don't need Banks to run the offense. All i wanted from the offseason was point guard who can play defense and i think we've gotten it.

You think miles is worth signing? If we pick him up and Phil can fix him up, we'll probably have of the best defensive squads in the nba.</div>
    No. D-Miles can play defense, but only when he wants to. He also is a "cancer" and causes problems with every organization and coach. Miles is a no-no for any organization really. I say go after Reggie Evans. He will provide defense, rebounding, and the occassional ball-grab (LMAO).

13. melo

melo Magic

Well they said the same thing about Rodman and look what phil did to him.

14. DRob-50-Forever

DRob-50-Forever BBW Elite Member

I think Banks would def be an upgrade over Smush. I think Smush should be Kobe's back up. I was also so happy when that trade was recinded it was like a dream come true, then he was off to Minny, for real.

15. NOODLESTYLE

NOODLESTYLE BBW Member

Laron Profit is Kobe's backup. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lakers pickup Reggie Evans or Chris Wilcox if they can as well.

16. melo

melo Magic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NOODLESTYLE @ Jun 17 2006, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Laron Profit is Kobe's backup. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lakers pickup Reggie Evans or Chris Wilcox if they can as well.</div>Wilcox said he doesn't want to leave seattle or something like that. And we haven't even signed profit again, have we?

17. CelticBalla32

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melo_061 @ Jun 17 2006, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well they said the same thing about Rodman and look what phil did to him.</div>
    Whole different ballgame guy. I mean Miles is a 6'9'' forward that has attitude problems, doesn't try as hard as he should at all times, can't shoot, and relies on athleticism alone on offense. Rodman was a tough, hard-nosed bulldog that worked hard even if he was an idiot of a person, and he brought something to the game that nearly nobody has. I mean just a week ago we had a thread called "Dennis Rodman HOF?" - I'll be damned if we ever have a thread that says "Darius Miles HOF?" lol

18. DRob-50-Forever

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NOODLESTYLE @ Jun 17 2006, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Laron Profit is Kobe's backup.</div>He was waived. [​IMG]

19. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Well they said the same thing about Rodman and look what phil did to him</div>Whoaaa hold on a secondRodman was a proven player before he went to Chicago. Miles is a joke.

20. DRob-50-Forever

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE @ Jun 17 2006, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Whoaaa hold on a secondRodman was a proven player before he went to Chicago. Miles is a joke.</div>Ya I am really not sure where these Miles to Rodman comparisons are coming from. Also I'm suprised no one has pointed out the fact the miles has 4 years left on his contract, so how exactly do the Lakers sign him?