Canucks win Sundin sweepstakes

Discussion in 'WEST: Pacific Division' started by shookem, Dec 18, 2008.

1. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

The NHL's longest running soap opera has finally come to an end, as thirteen-time 30-goal scorer Mats Sundin has signed with the Vancouver Canucks.

The Canucks confirmed Thursday night that it was a one-year deal for the former Toronto Maple Leafs captain, but financial terms were not immediately known. Early indications are the deal is pro-rated for US$10-million.

According to reports, Sundin will join the Canucks on Dec. 28 after spending the Christmas season in his native Sweden.

The 37-year-old became an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and despite having big-money offers on the table right away, he spent the rest of the summer and the first 2 1/2 months of the season contemplating retirement.

As many as a half-dozen teams were linked to Sundin at various points, but he narrowed his choice down to the New York Rangers and Vancouver Canucks earlier this week.

"I thought we were going to get him the first time I spoke with him," said Canucks GM Mike Gillis during a news conference Thursday night at GM Place. "We were unwavering in our position and there were a lot of rumours throughout the process we were talking to [agent] J.P. [Barry], and I trust the guy and I knew what was real and what wasn't real."

"I am truly excited to be joining the Canucks," said Sundin in a statement. "Once I made the decision to return to play a few weeks ago, the Vancouver opportunity was simply the best overall fit. I want to thank Mike Gillis and the entire Canucks organization for their professionalism throughout this entire process."

The newest Canuck will speak with the media Friday.

Gillis was reticent to conclude the addition of Sundin makes his team an instant contender for the Stanley Cup.
    National Post

2. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

This sucks. Those jerks in Vancouver don't deserve a guy like Sundin.

3. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

It will be another month before he decides what number to use and he hasn't even decided a skate brand yet so still may take weeks.

4. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

he is currently pondering what to have for breakfast two weeks ago.

5. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

Thank goodness the Rangers didn't win this weepstake. see what I did there oh yea........

Breaking NEWS: Sundin chooses eggs over pancakes

6. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    Explain.